Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Ironflippy
Human being with feelings

Default Lock markers to time instead of beat

When composing for video, I'd love to be able to use markers to indicate where the music needs to change, certain hits, etc. That's only currently possible if I dont change the tempo or time signature of the music. If I need to make an adjustment to either of those, all future markers no longer correspond to the same place in time as they previously did.

Is there any work around that I can use, or am I out of luck?
Ironflippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
Cinemascore

I'm resurrecting this as I'm having the same issue. My former DAW of choice, MOTU Digital Performer, allowed the user an option to lock markers down to their absolute time positions in the project timeline after they were placed (say, against video) - regardless of any tempo and time sig changes that happen afterwards.

Once I spot a place, say a scene change, where I place a marker, after I adjust tempo or change time signatures, the marker(s) moves with that change.

Could this be something that could be added/changed - marker set to time instead and bars and beats and marker lock?
Cinemascore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
nofish

In File -> Project settings -> Project settings it says "Timebase for items/envelopes/markers", so if you set this to "Time" I assume that should be it ?

edit:
This would apply to all tracks then also. If you'd need tracks still in Beats mode you could set the tracks timebase from 'Project timebase' to 'Beats' individually. (rightclick in track control panel -> Set track timebase.) Maybe a bit fiddly...

Last edited by nofish; 11-21-2014 at 03:00 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Cinemascore

Hey Nofish,

Thanks for the heads up! I will take a look at that for sure later and see if it works. I would assume I could make a track template with that individual 'timebase set to beats' and just use that when I need to insert a track.

If setting it up the way you suggests stops the markers from moving around, it will be worth the effort.

I still wish for a marker lock. I can lock the video from stretching and to time in it's own track control panel. I'd like that the markers had something similar.

Last edited by Cinemascore; 11-21-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemascore View Post
I still wish for a marker lock. I can lock the video from stretching and to time in it's own track control panel. I'd like that the markers had something similar.
Didn't want to speak against that of course.
Just pointing out a hopefully workable approach for now.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
Cinemascore

I opened the "Project Settings" dialog box ("Project Settings" tab)and set the "Timebase for items/envelopes/makers" pulldown to "TIME".

I then inserted the video via "Insert" menu / "Media Item" onto a new track.

Opened that's track's "Media Item Properties" box and checked "Lock" so it doesn't accidentally get moved.

I then played the video back and inserted markers by pressing the 'M' key on the scene changes.

From there, I started inserting 'Tempo/Time Signature Markers' to make a manual tempo map so that the musical measures would make some kind of sense according to the time markers laid out before.

I'm happy to report that the time markers DID NOT move now when I played around with the musical timebase via the many Tempo/Time markers. Yay!

Now I can score this video I'm working on without worry of everything getting shifted around in time. I just to remember to make sure every object in the project from here on has to be switched to bars and beats if I want it to keep musical time and not minutes and seconds time...
Old 11-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
kilna

Location: San Diego, CA, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

I am totally going to use these tips the next time I'm scoring something!
kilna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Tim Rideout

I find myself wanting BOTH types of markers: time-based (for scene changes and hit points that are time-based) and musical markers (the start of a measure, that may change based on tempo).

I remember in Sony's ACID you used to have Markers which were music/midi/tempo-based, and you also had Time Markers - which were absolute:
http://www.americanmusical.com/itemf....pdf#G7.117074
I believe in Cubase, you can actually have multiple marker "tracks"

I would love for Reaper to have BOTH kinds - or multiple marker tracks. what do you guys think? Feature request?

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemascore View Post
I opened the "Project Settings" dialog box ("Project Settings" tab)and set the "Timebase for items/envelopes/makers" pulldown to "TIME".

I then inserted the video via "Insert" menu / "Media Item" onto a new track.

Opened that's track's "Media Item Properties" box and checked "Lock" so it doesn't accidentally get moved.

I then played the video back and inserted markers by pressing the 'M' key on the scene changes.

From there, I started inserting 'Tempo/Time Signature Markers' to make a manual tempo map so that the musical measures would make some kind of sense according to the time markers laid out before.

I'm happy to report that the time markers DID NOT move now when I played around with the musical timebase via the many Tempo/Time markers. Yay!

Now I can score this video I'm working on without worry of everything getting shifted around in time. I just to remember to make sure every object in the project from here on has to be switched to bars and beats if I want it to keep musical time and not minutes and seconds time...
Old 02-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #9
heda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rideout View Post
I find myself wanting BOTH types of markers: time-based (for scene changes and hit points that are time-based) and musical markers (the start of a measure, that may change based on tempo).

I remember in Sony's ACID you used to have Markers which were music/midi/tempo-based, and you also had Time Markers - which were absolute:
http://www.americanmusical.com/itemf....pdf#G7.117074
I believe in Cubase, you can actually have multiple marker "tracks"

I would love for Reaper to have BOTH kinds - or multiple marker tracks. what do you guys think? Feature request?

T
You can do it with my script
set the project settings timebase for markers to time
insert time markers as usual
now for the tempo based markers, you can use my script that automatically moves the markers with the items in a specified track

quick example:
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #10
Tim Rideout

That's a cool workaround, Heda - but unfortunately, it still leaves me with a timeline that is potentially not locked to a grid. If my gid is time-based, but my midi events are tempo-based, that's a whole lotta hurt that can come down when there's no reference locked or snapped. I need to be 100% locked to tempo and music-grid for notes - but have Hit Point markers be time-locked...
Old 02-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
heda

How can you have a time based grid? It's always tempo based. What about automating the playrate instead of MIDI tempo?
heda is offline   Reply With Quote