Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
vintagesilvertone
Human being with feelings

Default Plugin/Session Compatibility PC/MAC

Hello! I'm thinking of making the switch from Mac to PC. My 2011 MacBook Pro is dying and I don't want to shell out the big cash for an iMac Pro or wait for the new modular Mac Pro.

So, I'm looking into getting a dedicated DAW PC.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but will all my current REAPER sessions open in Windows with the same plugins and settings as long as I have all my plugins re-downloaded (PC versions) and installed on the new PC?

If no, it's not a total deal-breaker but it would give me pause. I'm in the middle of a handful of plugin heavy projects and while I could find some work arounds to finish them up with my MacBook, it is having a hard time keeping up.

Thank you!
vintagesilvertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:04 PM   #2
Skijumptoes

I done the same thing, and really pleased with windows and reaper so far. And it’s nice having the additional power. Highly recommended, fraction of the price and it’s great to know I can upgrade ram/ssd when I want.

In regards to opening projects on Mac, it’s a little hit and miss, but on the main it works surprisingly well.

You need to make sure you only use vst plugins on Mac before saving/opening on windows for the same plugins to load, And also ensure all media is copied across too (I.e. wav files etc) there is an option to copy all media files when you save.

Obviously completely depends on which plugins you are using but I was pleasantly surprised with it. I’m primarily a Logic user, and importing stems from Logic projects has also been a breeze.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:23 AM   #3
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesilvertone View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question but will all my current REAPER sessions open in Windows with the same plugins and settings as long as I have all my plugins re-downloaded (PC versions) and installed on the new PC?
One thing I have noticed with PC Vs. Mac is that the wav files are different, wav's coming from a mac system do not load for me, they have that (dunno name) squiggly bit before the file name.
Even if I remove that the wav won't play on my PC.

Just noticed this with some multi-tracks I have downloaded from the likes of PLAP, where they include PT and standard wav folders in the download.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:44 AM   #4
Skijumptoes

You mean the tilde symbol (~) ?

Doesn't that denote a hidden file or something - i'm sure that's what Mac uses for indexing/spotlight searching, sounds like you're not actually copying the files across. The files on my mac don't have such issues.

Ensure that you save all media files within the project folder on the mac (There's an option when you 'save as' in reaper). And be sure you're not opening the hidden _MACOSX folder by mistake in windows.

A big give away is if those files are only 1kb in size, then you haven't actually copied the wav files across.

Last edited by Skijumptoes; 03-19-2019 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:25 AM   #5
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
You mean the tilde symbol (~) ?

Doesn't that denote a hidden file or something - i'm sure that's what Mac uses for indexing/spotlight searching, sounds like you're not actually copying the files across. The files on my mac don't have such issues.

Ensure that you save all media files within the project folder on the mac (There's an option when you 'save as' in reaper). And be sure you're not opening the hidden _MACOSX folder by mistake in windows.

A big give away is if those files are only 1kb in size, then you haven't actually copied the wav files across.
I meant the tilde in front of the wav file name. I've just seen this in a lot of multi-track downloads that include both PT sessions and standard wav files. The PT wav files always have the tilde appended to them, but even removing the tilde they still won't play and I get a codec error - so I am guessing Pro Tools/Macs might use a different codec for wavs?
Old 03-19-2019, 05:02 AM   #6
Skijumptoes

Yeah so like this:-

~Bass1.wav right?

That's a hidden file for indexing purposes that MacOS does - the real file should exist in parallel to the tilde prefixed one which is the real Wav file, do you have a link to the multi-track downloads as an example?

The tilde prefixed files will only be around 1kb in size and contain no wave/audio data whatsoever, so renaming them won't offer any solution, you just need to locate the 'actual' .wav files.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Yeah so like this:-

~Bass1.wav right?

That's a hidden file for indexing purposes that MacOS does - the real file should exist in parallel to the tilde prefixed one which is the real Wav file, do you have a link to the multi-track downloads as an example?

The tilde prefixed files will only be around 1kb in size and contain no wave/audio data whatsoever, so renaming them won't offer any solution, you just need to locate the 'actual' .wav files.
Actually it is not a ~ tilde, is it -.filename.wav
I see now thanks, I feel a bit silly now lol... Okay a lot!
I changed the view settings in Windows to see the filesize and yep, as you said they are all like 4k.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
vintagesilvertone

Thank you! It's reassuring to know it worked smoothly for you. Yeah, I plan on getting a super tricked out system to avoid stuttered playback and such with lots of plugins. I'd get a fan-less system too as I'm tired of my MacBook fan kicking in with the slightest amount of work I ask of it.

Yeah, all the plugins I'm using are VST or JS.

Any horror stories out there of switching platforms and things going to crap whether it be due to operating systems or plug-in compatibility? Again, just making doubly sure.

Thank you!

Quote:
I done the same thing, and really pleased with windows and reaper so far. And it’s nice having the additional power. Highly recommended, fraction of the price and it’s great to know I can upgrade ram/ssd when I want.

In regards to opening projects on Mac, it’s a little hit and miss, but on the main it works surprisingly well.

You need to make sure you only use vst plugins on Mac before saving/opening on windows for the same plugins to load, And also ensure all media is copied across too (I.e. wav files etc) there is an option to copy all media files when you save.

Obviously completely depends on which plugins you are using but I was pleasantly surprised with it. I’m primarily a Logic user, and importing stems from Logic projects has also been a breeze.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #9
Skijumptoes

Well, in my experience so far, the great thing about Reaper is that it will warn you if a plugin hasn't been loaded when opening a project (i.e. if the plugin doesn't exist on the windows machine).

But it still loads the project anyway and you can replace the plugin in the project yourself manually afterwards, OR, remove it and then save again in windows.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
vintagesilvertone

That's a great point! All's not lost even if it means some extra grunt work.

Thanks!

Quote:
Well, in my experience so far, the great thing about Reaper is that it will warn you if a plugin hasn't been loaded when opening a project (i.e. if the plugin doesn't exist on the windows machine).

But it still loads the project anyway and you can replace the plugin in the project yourself manually afterwards, OR, remove it and then save again in windows.