Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-24-2019, 01:00 AM   #1
ryansalmond
Human being with feelings

Default How would YOU automate deleting silences between songs from one long recording?

Hi there,

I like to record my jams with the different bands I play with, and send the recordings to my bandmates afterward so we all know what we need to work on. I want to be able to auto-remove the gaps between songs with a custom action or something similar- It doesn't need to be too precise, I'm mostly going for convenience here.

I've been trying for a couple hours, a couple different methods, but not quite getting there.

Here's what I've tried that haven't quite worked:

-Grouping all media items, setting ripple editing to all tracks, and setting dynamic split to parse the gaps as distinct chunks of audio, and setting it to remove the silences. To my surprise, removing silences with dynamic split does not trigger ripple editing when ripple editing is on. Also found dynamic split was not great for this- it was hard to find a setting that didn't add a few unwanted cuts to the middle of a song. I had imagined that because I'm going for something fairly crude in just getting it to distinguish when the band is playing vs when they're not, that I would be able to find a setting I could re-use every time without having to re-dial it in for each jam. But I was wrong! haha

-Failed custom action attempt:
Set ripple editing all tracks
Item: Select All Items
Item Grouping: Group items
Action Prompt to continue (also tried Wait 10 seconds before next action)
Item grouping: Remove items from group
Set ripple editing off

The idea here was that during the prompt to continue or wait 10 seconds for next action phase, I would visually identify the gaps, highlight them, and hit delete.

This didn't work because Wait 10 seconds for next action and prompt to continue seem to stop me from performing the highlighting/deleting part. I had misinterpreted "Wait for next action" as meaning "the next action in the custom action sequence," but now I understand it means "the next action of any kind."

This also didn't work because I can't select the silences when the media items are grouped. But they need to be grouped so that a cut to one track will cut all the others in the same place. Or maybe I'm wrong.

I would greatly appreciate suggestions- I'm sure someone has come across this before, but I haven't found anything when doing searches about it.
ryansalmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:11 AM   #2
EpicSounds

I would probably use regions to mark the areas I want to keep, then batch render all regions as mp3s to send to band people.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #3
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansalmond View Post
This also didn't work because I can't select the silences when the media items are grouped. But they need to be grouped so that a cut to one track will cut all the others in the same place. Or maybe I'm wrong.
You should be able to put everything in a parent folder and select silences and chop from there. Another option would be to detect silence from a single track and then have the action either group or ripple edit "all" before the chopping. (?)
Old 02-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #4
foxAsteria

If you just want to remove the silence automatically, then search "remove silence" in the actions list.

It's pretty quick to do manually; just create a time selection where you want contents removed and run the action "remove contents of time selection (moving later items)."