Old 05-24-2016, 03:28 AM   #1
MRADIO
Human being with feelings

Default Audio Editor on Reaper

Greetings, recently I've been trying Reaper less than a week and I'm well impressed!
Now if I take so much time working with Adobe Audition 1.5, version 3, and although occasionally use Logic and Protools, the truth is that flexibility and managing editor audition I have not found none. What I'm Reaper at some point
add an audio editor with these flexibilities own ?. Production work at Radio image. Here my website if queire hear some of the work.

www.melvinrosado.com

I hope reply and thank you very much!

Sorry for my google translate :s
MRADIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:53 AM   #2
The Byre

Do you mean, will Reaper ever get an editor like Audition?

In the near future - unlikely.

BUT you can put Audition (or any other useful editor, such as Soundforge, Nero Wave Editor, Audition, etc.) The reason is that Reaper is none-destructive and an editor has to be destructive to work.

Options - Preferences - External Editor (and set up the programme file for the editor of your choice).

After that, every time you click-on Ctl/Alt/E (or Item, Open Item in Editor) your favourite editor comes up with the file selected in Reaper. That way, Audition or whatever you choose, can be used as an extension to Reaper.
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:00 AM   #3
MRADIO

Default Audio editor on Reaper

Yes,

If that and saw this rather interesting, I just thought if Reaper is awesome.
I imagine for a moment that a serious audio editor powerful reaper.

Thanks!!
MRADIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:15 AM   #4
Mike Raine

Before switching to Reaper I used Logic. If you double-clicked on a recorded WAV in Logic, it opened it into a audio editor.

I discovered that though Reaper doesn't have a separate audio editor, you can double-click and load an external editor (as others have noted).

This was what I did for a while, because that's the way I was used to working.

But it didn't take that long for me to realise it was effectively double-handling and not necessary.

By zooming in, within Reaper you can perform any editing task you need to and that you would otherwise do 'outside'. There is neither need to invoke an external editor, nor for Reaper to develop one. It's already there.
Mike Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:57 AM   #5
The Byre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Raine View Post
By zooming in, within Reaper you can perform any editing task you need to and that you would otherwise do 'outside'. There is neither need to invoke an external editor, nor for Reaper to develop one. It's already there.
Yes and no. To a large extent, you are of course correct, but there are certain tasks that a destructive editor can do, that a non-destructive DAW cannot, such as drawing out clicks and marking and deleting sections (very useful for radio).

Also, many of the better editors (Audition and Soundforge) come with extremely powerful tools and plugs for noise reduction, compression, etc.
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:24 AM   #6
lowest form

Quote:
Also, working on samples that you want to use in another piece of kit - if I want to add a fade out to an audio file before I transfer it from my PC to a hardware sampler, in Reaper you have to convert it to a Take or render it out. In an audio editor you just click 'save'.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #7
BenK-msx

Use 'glue'
And/or Sub projects
And that cool script that adds pencil tool.

Bosh!
Old 05-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #8
mhuss

I've been using Audacity for a long time to do 'destructive' editing, but for some reason the audio playback doesn't work at all in Win10. This is the only app (out of many) that I use that is broken in Win10. :-\
mhuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
Before switching to Reaper I used Logic. If you double-clicked on a recorded WAV in Logic, it opened it into a audio editor.

I discovered that though Reaper doesn't have a separate audio editor, you can double-click and load an external editor (as others have noted).

This was what I did for a while, because that's the way I was used to working.

But it didn't take that long for me to realise it was effectively double-handling and not necessary.

This right here!

There may be a specific feature missing in Reaper that you might find in a different audio app (eg. the pencil tool for drawing on waveforms). No argument if that's the case. But Reaper is a very advanced DAW with more editing features than a lot of dedicated 'audio editor' apps. So don't just assume you need a 2nd app.

Take a look at the actions available. You might just need to make a shortcut or 2. Then you can have the editing ability instantly under your fingers without the clumsiness of having to open a file in a different app.

I've been using Audacity for the pencil tool and Izotope RX for the spectral editor when that comes up FWIW.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #10
Mike Raine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
Yes and no. To a large extent, you are of course correct, but there are certain tasks that a destructive editor can do, that a non-destructive DAW cannot, such as drawing out clicks and marking and deleting sections (very useful for radio).

Also, many of the better editors (Audition and Soundforge) come with extremely powerful tools and plugs for noise reduction, compression, etc.
It was in fact Soundforge that I used as an external editor in the early days, and it is very good.

However, one of the things that I am really enjoying about Reaper is non-destructive editing. But I've never had any problem getting rid of clicks or deleting sections. In the end, the difference is doing a render as opposed to 'save as'.

I used noise reduction in Soundforge, and that worked well. But with Reaper I've got access to the old plug-ins I used with SF, as well as a whole heap of others.

I'm happy to leave the old, rather cumbersome workflow behind.
Mike Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:28 AM   #11
lowest form

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Use 'glue'
And/or Sub projects
And that cool script that adds pencil tool.

Bosh!
Glue doesn't apply fades or other media properties to the source file... unless there's a preference I've missed.

I'm interested in how sub-projects might be used to help with destructive audio editing, they're not something I use at all!
Old 05-25-2016, 06:02 AM   #12
citizenkeith

At the studio, I load up my favorite editors: Sound Forge and Izotope RX.

Unfortunately, Sound Forge sucks on OSX, so at home I have a free basic editor in Ocenaudio for most destructive editing, plus RX. https://www.ocenaudio.com/

Coupled with Reaper's capabilities, that seems to hit everything I need.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #13
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowest form View Post
Glue doesn't apply fades or other media properties to the source file... unless there's a preference I've missed.

I'm interested in how sub-projects might be used to help with destructive audio editing, they're not something I use at all!
U may well be right there, been a long time since I wanted to detructive edit, equally quick to apply fx tho really. I did use sound forge alot but just moved on.. it's more a workflow adjustment than anything imo.

Sub projects allow you to take a bit of audio or tracks ina large project say and edit the hell out of it in a separate window, the result is then updated/rendered back into main project automatically yet is stil editable, so almost exactly like a destructive edit but not destructive really..

If doing sample packs or something then may not help but covers alot of use cases.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #14
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowest form View Post
glue retains the first in and out fades on the item but does apply any automation and crossfades on items.

There are other actions that will commit the edge fades too.

"or other media properties to the source file"

it should
Old 05-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #15
lowest form

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
glue retains the first in and out fades on the item but does apply any automation and crossfades on items.

There are other actions that will commit the edge fades too.

it should
Are you sure about this? I just did a test to verify what my experience has always shown:
- Added a file to timeline
- Applied a large fade out to it
- Glued it
- Dragged glued file onto time line
- ... no fade is applied to the file

My bad... that was a rash statement, it totally does apply channel, normalise, etc... but it doesn't seem to apply fades, unless I am doing something wrong!
Old 05-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #16
EpicSounds

NOT what I said.

a fade out is not a crossfade.

With the action Item: Glue itemscrossfaded splits between selected items are commited to new file but start and end fades are not.

try Item: Glue items, including leading fade-in and trailing fade-out

Or Breeder and spk77's GlueTools.lua script
Old 05-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #17
Colox

Some agree with this, some do not. I do.
There's lot of previous discussions about this too
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=139957
Old 05-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #18
lowest form

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
NOT what I said.

a fade out is not a crossfade.

With the action Item: Glue itemscrossfaded splits between selected items are commited to new file but start and end fades are not.

try Item: Glue items, including leading fade-in and trailing fade-out

Or Breeder and spk77's GlueTools.lua script
I'm not quite sure what you said as "glue retains the first in and out fades on the item" sounds a lot like glue should output fades on a new file (like I showed in my example above), but it seems like it's probably me not being so up on terminology... but many thanks for pointing out the 'Item: Glue items, including leading fade-in and trailing fade-out' action though, I never knew that existed and that will really help
Old 05-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #19
EpicSounds

retain as in leaves intact. maybe not the best word
Old 05-27-2016, 04:16 AM   #20
nicholas
Scribe

Just one thing I'd like to add re linking an external audio editor such as Audition to Reaper:

Every such editor that I've ever used works destructively (unlike Reaper itself). It's worth considering when working with an external editor using the option to open a copy of the file in the editor.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #21
jazznfunk

I suggest Ocenaudio. Very good multiplatform editor. Only feature that is missing is pencil tool.
jazznfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #22
ajawamnet

Using Audacity pencil tool in reaper
ajawamnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #23
serr

re: pencil tool

I've got to say that since I've started using the iZotope RX spectral editor for "more properly" removing the kind of click artifacts you can draw out with the pencil tool, I haven't looked back. You get a much cleaner surgical ability and it's also much much quicker. The pencil tool is a crude tool from the past to me now. Completely understand not being interested in adding that to Reaper now.

Are there still other DAW apps that make you open an "edit window" to work at the sample level? That's just unacceptably clumsy at this point too after using Reaper for a good while now!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote