Old 10-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
richardj
Human being with feelings

Default How to open multiple MIDI editors?

I'm busy writing a new section of music based on a previous section.

In FL Studio I could switch between playlist and MIDI editor with F5 and F7, and between my two sections using + and - instantly.

But in Reaper I have to lasso the clips I want to edit, then push ctrl-alt-e, then close the editor with esc, then drag my timeline back in the main window, then lasso the other clips, then push crtl-alt-e again, then click on every instruments lock icon to make it editable, and keep repeating. It's super tedious.

Is there a way to open two MIDI editors perhaps? Then I could put them on different monitors and just copy and paste between them, and compare the sections.

Any other tricks yall are using to make MIDI clip navigation faster?

Last edited by richardj; 10-12-2018 at 08:16 AM.
richardj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
xpander

You can open one MIDI editor per Media item, Track or Project. Preferences/Editing Behavior/MIDI Editor.

For me the fastest way to work with any given MIDI item is to have one MIDI editor per project and have the Track Selector always visible in there. The track/item selections will have to be done anyway no matter which way you work, I like to do all that centrally from one list.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
richardj

Thanks! Changing my preferences allowed me to open two editors.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
richardj

UPDATE: Actually, this doesn't work, the little 'active' icon on my one track in my one editor is disabled when I try to paste from the same track on the other editor
Old 10-15-2018, 03:04 AM   #5
xpander

If you want to paste from one individual MIDI editor window into another for the MIDI items in the same track, I assume you have your preferences set as one MIDI editor per item? If so, you should be able to select either one of these MIDI editors, copy what you want, then select the other editor window and paste in there. In what step does this fail?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote