Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 09-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
juliansader
Human being with feelings

Default Can ReaScript API provided by C++ extensions use reaper.array as parameter or return?

Is it possible to use a reaper.array as parameter type or return type in a ReaScript API function that is provided by a C++ extension?

The SWS documentation doesn't mention anything about reaper.arrays, but in my C++ extension, if I use "double*" as parameter type or return type, the ReaScript IDE displays it as "reaper.array", which makes me optimistic!

What is a reaper.array? Simply an array of double*?

How do I know the size of the array?

If the size isn't inherent in the array (like a 0-terminated char array), how do I pass the size of the array between the script and the extension?

Do reaper.arrays have a maximum size?
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
juliansader
Human being with feelings

A few answers for myself:

* reaper.array is indeed an array of 64-bit doubles,

* except for the first 64 bits, which stores the array size and consists of two 32-bit long ints:

* The currently used size ({reaper.array}.resize) is stored in the the first int (the lower 32 bits, if the first entry is taken as one 64-bit long long int) and the maximum allocated size ({reaper.array}.get_alloc) and is stored in the second int / higher 32 bits.

reaper.arrays can be passed from ReaScript to C++ extension API as void*. However, the other direction doesn't work: when returning a pointer to a reaper.array as void*, REAPER doesn't recognize it as a reaper.array.

Therefore, if an API function is supposed to return information in the forms of a reaper.array, an existing reaper.array into which the API function may write should be included as one of the arguments.

If an extension declares a "double*" argument type in plugin_register(APIdef_funcName), REAPER translates this as "reaper.array" in the auto-generated website help and IDE context help. Unfortunately, if a script tries to pass a reaper.array for the argument, the IDE complains about wrong type.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote