Old 05-10-2016, 01:47 AM   #1
AgiReaper
Human being with feelings

Default Your thoughts about PlayTime

Hi everybody,I'm going to buy Playtime but before the purchase I'd like to know from who already own it his thoughts about it...is it really "usable" for live gigs? is it stable? is it fun to work with? ANY comment is really welcome ;-) THANKS!!

ps: I will use it with an i3 win 7 along with traktor...

thanx again
AgiReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
toxizz

I'm in the same exact boat as you though I will be using with maschine! Unfortunately it only has novation launchpad and a couple other controller that are "compatible" with playtime atm. Yet, I could map some keys using the Learn fonction so you could work without a mouse I guess!
I'm also in the process of figuring out how to use this in a live situation, recording my own stuff & looping.

Would you mind taking a look at my thead here and tell me if this is something that works for you?! :

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...=1#post1679526
toxizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
AgiReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxizz View Post
I'm in the same exact boat as you though I will be using with maschine! Unfortunately it only has novation launchpad and a couple other controller that are "compatible" with playtime atm. Yet, I could map some keys using the Learn fonction so you could work without a mouse I guess!
I'm also in the process of figuring out how to use this in a live situation, recording my own stuff & looping.

Would you mind taking a look at my thead here and tell me if this is something that works for you?! :

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...=1#post1679526
Many thanx!
I'm reading your post ;-)
AgiReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
Thor

Default A couple of questions re playtime

Hi all I am playing around a little with Playtime and have some questions I have not been able to answer. Forgive me if they have previously been answered.

1. Is there a method to create fade out clips that can be triggered? So if a sound/loop is running on a slot/track, I would like to trigger another clip (ideally in the same group) and have this audio fade out. I have a workaround using midi cc in a midi item to control the volume of an effect but it is clunky.
What is the official way of genereating fade outs? (In Ableton you would typically do this using a dummy track and automate the volume on that, that is ridiculous. Does playtime offer a better way? Or is there an elegant way of achieving this with midi cc?)

2. I would like to use the scenes to progress through an arrangement, is there a way to be able to leave some slots empty (the record symbol remains) but be able to step through the scenes without the current file stopping. (In Ableton you would do this by removing the stop button on the slot.)
A typical scenario here would be a long duration one-shot sound in one group, with changing loops under it in other groups, all triggered by stepping through the scenes.

3. Are crossfades between clips possible?

Thank you!
Thor
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
ivansc

I somehow missed out on the demo version AND the early adopter prices, but it is quite difficult to "get" from the stuff I have read in the relevant threads.
Either that or it isnt "doing" what I thought/hoped it would.

Anyone know if there are any good tutorials or video tutorials that arent either self-referencing or leaning on the viewer/reader already having an understanding of how (for instance) Live does this?
Old 11-23-2016, 03:35 AM   #6
rcl

I own it and use it mainly as a means to speed up my creative workflow. Being able to record a loop and then move on quickly to add to it on a different slot and so on. Then later i can easily audition different arrangements. Sure I could do this with items and regions but Playtime is much faster. I have not completely used every feature but so far it has been able to do everything I liked about Ableton except following action. The new update solved the issue with playing a clip imediatley after being recorded, so for now I am golden. For the price and considering there is a responsive developer behind it, I find Playtime to be a great tool.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #7
Tom Davids

I am also having problems trying to understand what's going on and how to operate this plugin properly. I really want to understand how it works. Maybe the problem is that I'm not at all familiar with how Ableton operates.

If anybody could make a very simple vid tutorial that would be appreciated as I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to make sense of it.
Tom Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:45 AM   #8
ivansc

Maybe the developer could be persuaded to offer a tutorial? Or at least some sort of manual/explanatory notes on what it does & how it can be used?

I am reluctant to cough up a significant amount of my tiny pension on something that I honestly don`t "get" so far.
Such a shame, as if it works how I think it does, I would be ON it.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:26 PM   #9
xpander

Playtime homepage has basic introduction, user guide with screenshots (available also as a pdf document) and a link to an introduction video made by Jon Tidey (ReaperBlog). All that should give a pretty good idea of what Playtime is about.

Was there some more specific info you were looking for?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #10
ivansc

Aha! Last time I looked (ages ago) there wasn't anything like this much info on the home page. Looks like I have some reading to do.