Old 08-26-2018, 04:00 AM   #281
mschnell
Human being with feelings

AFAIK, SWS is currently decently supported.

I did talk with the supporter about me being inclined to take over the maintenance for the LiveConfigs part of SWS (which he feels not familiar with). But unfortunately SWS is a single huge project and it would be a lot of work to split it in multiple dedicated Reaper extension files (hopefully distributable by ReaPack), which would be a prerequisite for me to begin working on LiveConfigs.

In fact I did create a kind of partial replacement / partial functionality enhancement for LiveConfigs done by a set of JSFXes. This is available via ReaPack. Pipe is (seemingly successfully) using it for his Guitar setup.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-26-2018 at 04:12 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:38 AM   #282
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
AFAIK, SWS is currently decently supported.
I'm sorry if I mischaracterized the situation! I haven't really looked, was just under the impression of several issues not having been attended to for a long time. My idea was if the code base could be reduced by making scripts less dependent on sws, it would be easier to maintain it.

I should have investigated before opening my mouth it appears

Edit: Looking at the commits of the sws next branch sws is indeed alive and is receiving updates albeit at a slow pace. Maybe no need to deprecate anything from it, though I think this could possibly ease the burden on Tim. On the other hand the issue tracker is filled up with an enormous amount of feature requests, rather than bug report which seems somewhat counter productive to me.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 08-27-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:32 AM   #283
Tubeguy

You don't have to use any of it. Just use the basic Reaper and that's it.
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #284
kriogen

4 years on the Reaper. Back on Cubase. Ecstasy.
kriogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #285
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriogen View Post

I quit using REAPER for Windows.

. . .

Now I use REAPER for Linux!

I got rid of all the bad stuff and kept only the good parts.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #286
vanhaze

Quote:
May i ask why exactly ?
Warm Regards.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #287
Eliseat

Its very obvious that Reaper isn't made for all. I see it often here in the forums how people struggle with all the workarounds and customization. And sometimes I wish that the main program could be more compact and homey. But it is how it is. You have to tidy it up for your needs and esthetic requirements. But then ...

There are so many cool things. Like the LFO tool. And I understand people who don't expect that they have to install packages before they can use such gems. I'm pretty sure that a lot of people who don't find their way into the forums will give up because they get lost some how.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:04 AM   #288
kriogen

Fans Reaper ask the what is a Reaper doesn't. Ask-than you are dissatisfied?
Let me explain the example with the file browser.
The Cubase file browser has many options. Here are just some of them:
1. search in all subfolders-at any depth.
2. Remembers the result and request of the last search and shows this place even in a new project.
3. Has 3 independent file browsers. Which -- if you need -- will play three files simultaneously and synchronously with the project.
4. Filter by file extension - audio, MIDI, presets, etc.

None of this is in the Reaper, and it was terrible-never will be.
And in those moments, you know -- the Reaper stuck somewhere far behind.

Last edited by kriogen; 12-27-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:01 AM   #289
vitalker

Quote:
2. Remembers the last search and shows this place even in a new project.
3. Has 3 independent file browsers.
4. Filter by file extension - audio, MIDI, presets, etc.
none of this Reaper is not, and it was terrible-never will be.
And in those moments, you know -- the Reaper stuck somewhere far behind.
1. Reaper also searches in all subfolders.
2. Why not just create a database for this folder (in Media explorer)?
4. Enter any file extension to the filter box in a format ".mp3" without quotes. You can also use quantifiers such as AND, OR and NOT.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:24 AM   #290
_Stevie_

I must say, that the file browser is the least thing that would make me switch to Cubase...
If that's really a crucial thing for your workflow, then Reaper clearly isn't made for you, because Reaper has so much more to offer than Cubase.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #291
kriogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I must say, that the file browser is the least thing that would make me switch to Cubase...
If that's really a crucial thing for your workflow, then Reaper clearly isn't made for you, because Reaper has so much more to offer than Cubase.

You do not understand. Just an example. Most of the others in Ripper are also sad.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #292
kriogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
1. Reaper also searches in all subfolders.
2. Why not just create a database for this folder (in Media explorer)?
4. Enter any file extension to the filter box in a format ".mp3" without quotes. You can also use quantifiers such as AND, OR and NOT.
2 Or write on a piece of paper -- just Ripert does not like, he likes difficult)
3 Where paragraph 3? Oh, Yes -- he's gone and gone.
4 Yes, Yes. We have already noticed-Reaper does not know how easy and convenient.

But fans love it even so.

I won't argue-even the ugliest people are loved. And Reaper's not that bad. He's just worse than some of the others. And goes wrong.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #293
Glennbo

Quote:
Fans Reaper ask the what is a Reaper doesn't. Ask-than you are dissatisfied?
Let me explain the example with the file browser.
I know where all my files are, so search is a useless feature for me. If I were a disorganized person then I might need something like that though. The buttons and feature I like in a DAW are "RECORD", "PLAY", and other things like that.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:42 AM   #294
vitalker

Quote:
2 Or write on a piece of paper -- just Ripert does not like, he likes difficult)
3 Where paragraph 3? Oh, Yes -- he's gone and gone.
4 Yes, Yes. We have already noticed-Reaper does not know how easy and convenient.

But fans love it even so.

I won't argue-even the ugliest people are loved. And Reaper's not that bad. He's just worse than some of the others. And goes wrong.
3 There are no multiple file browsers. What should I say?
4 Ok
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #295
georget

This thread leaves me torn. I am a Sonar refugee and have been using Reaper on my mobile rig for 6 months or so. I have not taken the plunge on my main rig yet. So I guess my impressions would be sort of "outsider".

The tone of the original post reminds me of where Sonar was in its 8.5 revision. It was more menu driven but relatively stable and very usable. (Reaper is 100X more stable than Sonar ever was)

There were cries to modernize. Cakewalk responded with X1 which from a theoretical viewpoint fulfilled those wishes. It was slick looking and had some nice ideas for new features. From a stability perspective it was a disaster. It took years to recover. By X3 it was back in pretty good shape and the company eventually folded.

Reaper does have more of an engineer's mindset true. (I am an engineer by trade as well) It also has all of the functionality you could want, is extensible, and has a really deep accessible set of knowledge posted out there. I picked up the basics in a dedicated weekend and learn new flows and use cases as the need arises.

I am running it on a used kicked around laptop and it works beautifully. It does not have to be baby-ed. Sonar would be heaving trying to do like sized projects on this rig.

So my thinking is this...

for $350 bucks (used laptop, 2X2 interface and Reaper license) I have a fast, stable rig with all the functionality I could want. I spent over a grand on Sonar alone over the years (not to mention what I spent on recording hardware to make it run stable) and have done a lot of recording and mixing it but in the end feel a little ripped off. If I had to do over I would have gone Reaper, a better laptop and taken the money I saved on the DAW and invested in places where it counts... which is not paying 100 bucks year in incremental upgrades which tended to add bloat and buggy features.

Reaper has a good thing going. Its usable and you can't beat the price. Its not worth adding slickness at the cost of stability.

So I guess... be careful what you wish for.
georget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #296
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Spot on Glennbo! and a bit of "all my computer keyboard keys are wonder buttons"
My favorite button is on an infrared remote control where I created a macro in REAPER to perform a "Stop|Undo|Rewind|Record". I can be recording a guitar, bass, vocals, keyboards, or drums and the moment I don't like something I played (key word there), hitting that button on the remote has me back in record at the same spot so fast, I don't have time to lose the groove I was trying to capture before it fades.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:53 PM   #297
wesborland

any news about reaper 6?
wesborland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:34 AM   #298
cutnpaste
Banned

I think Reaper is great the way it is, I fear that the version 6 will add unnecessary memory overhead if they make changes to the user interface. If next version is to generate income for the company, why not leave it as is and just require people to renew their license every three years.

I'm sure there would be many whining about that idea.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:56 AM   #299
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
May i ask why exactly ?
Warm Regards.
Clickbait.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #300
DuX

I'm still just so pissed off about not being able to create a true mono track, and route 1st stereo pair of multi-output VSTis in the same way as other stereo pairs, or mono outputs, for that matter. Just like in any other pro, or less pro DAW.

Everything else, I learned how to cope with it. And the Pros outweigh the Cons. Efficiency, stability, diversity, routing, connectivity. <-- that matters the most. Love ReaStream, ReaMote. and ReaRoute. No DAW has that! :yes!:

However, video editing with Reaper? I've lost my marbles when they introduced Notation, let alone video editing. Reaper should stay an *audio DAW*, not a do-it-all program. Besides, you can never do everything well with one program. Leave these things to other programs that do it better [e.g. Sibelius, Premiere]. Just do audio and MIDI well. That's the point of this thread, I think, and I so honestly agree! d=

Last edited by DuX; 02-18-2019 at 05:15 PM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:07 AM   #301
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
I'm still just so pissed off about not being able to create a true mono track, and route 1st stereo pair of multi-output VSTis in the same way as other stereo pairs, or mono outputs, for that matter. Just like in any other pro, or less pro DAW.

Everything else, I learned how to cope with it. And the Pros outweigh the Cons. Efficiency, stability, diversity, routing, connectivity. <-- that matters the most. Love ReaStream, ReaMote. and ReaRoute. No DAW has that! :yes!:

However, video editing with Reaper? I've lost my marbles when they introduced Notation, let alone video editing. Reaper should stay an *audio DAW*, not a do-it-all program. Besides, you can never do everything well with one program. Leave these things to other programs that do it better [e.g. Sibelius, Premiere]. Just do audio and MIDI well. That's the point of this thread, I think, and I so honestly agree! d=
I'm not sure if this works but using dual pan would'nt that allow you to do what you want ? You can bring both pans in the middle for mono.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #302
Icchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancit View Post
This vid from Kenny is a very good example and earns the title: more complicated isn´t possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMmBJqTQUTw&t=1s

This is a one click operation in every other DAW on this planet and in Reaper it takes me an hour to do this natively with a more complicated loop than Kenny uses...
You do realize that by using Reasamplomatic, he's making it way way too complicated and difficult? He could use some third party sampler where things are easier, but as it stands, reasamplomatic isn't the ideal thing to use.

But it comes with reaper and is free.

So don't criticize reaper when it allows you to do stuff like dynamically split items from transients and create the midi with basically one click (you don't have to adjust the options if you don't want to, but they're there for you).

Yes, e.g FL-studio has their own drum sampler that allows you to do the same thing a bit easier for midi-mapping etc... but it's a whole damn VSTi designed to do just that one thing... and it costs you hundreds of dollars... REAPER's $60 and gets you almost all the way there... in the future perhaps all the way there.

I'm not complaining that I HAVE TO USE REAPER when it's lacking all the things i need... I'd just jump the ship.

Which is more important to you? Sticking with reaper or getting stuff done?

For me REAPER pretty much gives me 98% of things I need, and everything it doesn't is basically "would be really nice to have" type of stuff that's not really stopping me from getting stuff done, but it could be a bit better.

So I'm not jumping ship.

But you have to be realistic whether you should just stick your guns and get frustrated and angry at the tool that isn't what you need, or use another tool... :/
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #303
cool

I think that all that Reaper needs in order to become DAW is several global presets, including different dock locations and different key bindings / mouse actions from other DAWs. This will immediately make it friendly to the new user.

When I switched to Reaper at the end of 2017, some elementary functions caused pain. For example, the function "delete". In many DAWs, it’s enough just to click Del to remove the item or part of an item, depending on whether there is a selected area. In Reaper, by default, there are several key bindings and several different menu items. It is cumbersome, not convenient and not logical. I spent several months to fix this with the script. It was my most unpleasant experience for all the time working with different DAWs.

Yes, now pressing Del removes Item / Part of Item in selected area / Track / Automation Item (the selected area of the automation item is still impossible to delete) or Automation Point intuitively, making the work smooth and predictable. Similarly for Ctrl+X and Ctrl+C. I won, but at what cost?

Reaper is an excellent DAW that meets my needs. But. Would I recommend it to novice users? Probably not. If he is not a programmer, of course.

Last edited by cool; 02-20-2019 at 08:10 PM.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:29 PM   #304
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
... including different dock locations and different key bindings / mouse actions from other DAWs. This will immediately make it friendly to the new user.
Only for those coming from those DAWs, hence not really "new users".
AFAIK, there are several such "Themes" based on the look and feel of other DAWs, and it's really nice that - thanks to Reaper's extreme tweakability features - such things are doable by friendly fellow users. Maybe these tweakability features could even be enhanced (but I don't thinks that this is major criterion). And in fact the primary goal of this thread had been do state that such (advanced) abilities of Reaper would be bad.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:57 AM   #305
Trancit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icchan View Post
You do realize that by using Reasamplomatic, he's making it way way too complicated and difficult? He could use some third party sampler where things are easier, but as it stands, reasamplomatic isn't the ideal thing to use.

But it comes with reaper and is free.

So don't criticize reaper when it allows you to do stuff like dynamically split items from transients and create the midi with basically one click (you don't have to adjust the options if you don't want to, but they're there for you).

Yes, e.g FL-studio has their own drum sampler that allows you to do the same thing a bit easier for midi-mapping etc... but it's a whole damn VSTi designed to do just that one thing... and it costs you hundreds of dollars... REAPER's $60 and gets you almost all the way there... in the future perhaps all the way there.

I'm not complaining that I HAVE TO USE REAPER when it's lacking all the things i need... I'd just jump the ship.

Which is more important to you? Sticking with reaper or getting stuff done?

For me REAPER pretty much gives me 98% of things I need, and everything it doesn't is basically "would be really nice to have" type of stuff that's not really stopping me from getting stuff done, but it could be a bit better.

So I'm not jumping ship.

But you have to be realistic whether you should just stick your guns and get frustrated and angry at the tool that isn't what you need, or use another tool... :/
Even if more than half a year later is a bit late to the party and taking my post out of context:

1. read the last line of my original posting... this answers 90%
2. if you not complain about what you don´t like, it will never change (probably not even with complaining)...
This has nothing to do with wanting to stick with something or leave...
3. If you don´t know FL Studio... don´t take it as an example
Trancit is offline   Reply With Quote