Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
K1251
Human being with feelings

Default "Error opening media" under Wine

I'm running Reaper 5.982 through Wine on Linux Mint 19.2. When recording, it seems to record OK in the track, but then when I click "Save all" after stopping recording I get the error "Error opening recorded media".

I had a look in the project directory (which I've just got set to ~/Reaper Media) and the .wav files are actually there. I tried inserting one into Reaper and I get basically the same error: "Error opening media" (just minus the 'recorded')

Hoping there's something simple I've missed, but I'll be grateful for any help you can throw my way!

Thanks in advance
K
K1251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
Glennbo

Sounds like a permissions issue to me.

Any reason you aren't using the native Linux version of REAPER?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:50 AM   #3
K1251

My understanding was that Wine was still a more stable & reliable route than the native version at the moment. (clearly I may need to rethink this!)

Not sure what permissions would be missing... It creates and saves the wav files OK, and I can open the files outside of Reaper with no trouble. It just doesn't want to import them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
K1251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:36 AM   #4
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1251 View Post
My understanding was that Wine was still a more stable & reliable route than the native version at the moment.
Perhaps because Reaper for Linux is called beta, you got that impression. But that's false. As far as I'm concerned it's every bit as stable as the Windows version is for Windows... possibly moreso. (Edit: not to imply that the Windows version of Reaper lacks stability. I just find that Linux distros with XFCE and set up for audio are better than Windows for performance.)

Reaper for Linux is a beta version just because there aren't a lot of people using it compared to the Windows version and it is relatively new by comparison. There might be the odd thing which isn't quite perfect, but it's definitely stable.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 08-27-2019 at 09:32 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:03 AM   #5
Glennbo

What James said. ^^^

I've been running the native Linux version of REAPER since around 09-09-2018 when I made my first post in the Linux group here. It's worked so well that I've only booted my dual boot Win7/Linux DAW to the Win7 side to import older Cakewalk Sonar projects as the .dll for direct importing Sonar projects only works in Windows.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
s wave

What Glennbo said about James... Why not the Native Linux. I feel it is as stable if not more also. (Not taking into effect of the choices/stability of windows itself...) It might be worth taking an old hardrive and loading it up as a standalone so as not to effect what you are doing now.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote