Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 08-08-2022, 03:06 PM   #41
Thonex
Human being with feelings

Hi again Justin,

One last thing... and I'm only bringing this up since you have your head in MIDI record coding... not trying to distract from this thread

Is there a way you could Record MIDI during Count-In (not to be confused with pre-roll)?

One critical feature missing from Reaper for anyone doing MIDI (or any recordings where there are tempo changes) is the ability to record during the Count-Off (NOT to be confused with Pre-Roll). Honestly, this should also be available (mirrored) in AUDIO too.

Currently, there is no way to record during the Count-In to record a lead-in (for example) or if you ride the CC before the downbeat. The problem with pre-roll is if there is a different tempo in the previous measure, resulting in coming at the wrong tempo on the downbeat of the punch-in measure.

Now... with regards to Audio recording during Count-In:

Nuendo/Cubase have a simple record buffer in seconds and using it in conjunction with a count-in solves all these issues.

Having done this for 20+ years… it’s clear to me this count-off pre-record amount should be in seconds or ms, NOT tempo based. The benefits are that each recording will have the same amount of pre-record no matter what meter or tempo and makes comping and editing in other DAWs as well as Reaper MUCH easier since all the recordings have the exact same amount of pre-record.

I would also assume it’s easier to implement (coding-wise) if the pre-record buffer is always the same (fixed) time-based amount (not tempo or meter dependent).

Hoping this is possible and easy to implement.

BTW... I made this feature request ages ago here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=225328

Thanks for listening. I'm immensely grateful for all your (and the dev team's) hard work.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Last edited by Thonex; 08-08-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:57 PM   #42
baconpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
nofish, I'm not sure where the issue is, but yeah sending parameter changes to your plug-in doesn't seem to work. JUCE is a nightmare to debug (for someone like me who doesn't know it well) :/
Hi!

I took a look at this plugin in REAPER 664 0804 (the latest I have on this mac) and found the difference between bitwig, where no fish' plugin works, and reaper, where it doesn't

JUCE updates some parameter state on the main thread, so when we receive`CLAP_PARAM_VALUE` in the juce wrappers we do some stuff and then we do

```
// we want to trigger the parameter listener callbacks on the main thread,
// but MessageManager::callAsync is not safe to call from the audio thread.
audioThreadParamListenerQ.push(ParamListenerCall{p aram.processorParam, newValue});
_host.requestCallback();
```

`_host.requestCallback()` (https://github.com/free-audio/clap/b...lap/host.h#L34) is a required API of the host that means it schedules a call to `plugin->on_main_thread` and that's where we finalize the parameter updates (and critically, notify some of the non-param side listeners which no fish depends on)

After the call to `requestCallback` bitwig then calls `on_main_thread` and stuff works, and REAPER 664 0804 does not.

So I think the fix is to have `requestCallback` be implemented in REAPER to call back to `on_main_thread` at which point the last stage of the JUCE param updates will work.

This probably means a good chunk of juce CLAP plugins won't work in reaper, but SURGE is a bit different since it handles polymod and stuff so has the non-generic loop.

Hope that helps. You know how to reach me if you have Qs!
baconpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:30 PM   #43
creal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Er, so if you are using a hardware fx and controlling say a filter via CC, that's not interesting? Or moving knobs on a hardware synth to control parameters where a note isn't triggered? I'm just a little confused on the filtering methodology here. For those that have devices that always spit out CC data it's easy enough to filter with a JSFX or trigger an action to delete a specific CC. What is not easy is doing a whole pass of CC and not triggering a note while the transport is in play only to find RR has recorded nothing and you have to do the pass over again. Or worse, wanting to redo the CC on an existing item, triggering a note so the CC is recorded in retroactive record and then having to go back in and delete that specific note every time.
I agree. CCs only are also interesting for some users.
creal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:31 PM   #44
creal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
Hi again Justin,

One last thing... and I'm only bringing this up since you have your head in MIDI record coding... not trying to distract from this thread

Is there a way you could Record MIDI during Count-In (not to be confused with pre-roll)?

One critical feature missing from Reaper for anyone doing MIDI (or any recordings where there are tempo changes) is the ability to record during the Count-Off (NOT to be confused with Pre-Roll). Honestly, this should also be available (mirrored) in AUDIO too.

Currently, there is no way to record during the Count-In to record a lead-in (for example) or if you ride the CC before the downbeat. The problem with pre-roll is if there is a different tempo in the previous measure, resulting in coming at the wrong tempo on the downbeat of the punch-in measure.

Nuendo/Cubase have a simple record buffer in seconds and using it in conjunction with a count-in solves all these issues.

Having done this for 20+ years… it’s clear to me this count-off pre-record amount should be in seconds or ms, NOT tempo based. The benefits are that each recording will have the same amount of pre-record no matter what meter or tempo and makes comping and editing in other DAWs as well as Reaper MUCH easier since all the recordings have the exact same amount of pre-record.

I would also assume it’s easier to implement (coding-wise) if the pre-record buffer is always the same (fixed) time-based amount (not tempo or meter dependent).

BTW... I made this feature request ages ago here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=225328

Thanks for listening. I'm immensely grateful for all your (and the dev team's) hard work.

Cheers,

Andrew K
Good idea. +1 on this.
creal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 02:48 AM   #45
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconpaul View Post
requestCallback
Thanks for the detail, this call will be added for today's REAPER build.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:02 AM   #46
AZpercussion

Quote:
<...All thoughts about pre-record buffer for both midi and audio, and also record while pre-count...>
Really long awaited features! +100500
AZpercussion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:36 AM   #47
nofish

Thanks so much @baconpaul and @schwa for catching this!
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:42 AM   #48
lb0

Quote:
Hi again Justin,

Cheers,

Andrew K
+1 from me too.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:52 AM   #49
juan_r

Pre-release threads don't seem the most appropriate place for unrelated feature hunting or nitpicking, but this count-in thing is also one of my gripes. At least being able to monitor the input would be nice.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:14 PM   #50
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
Pre-release threads don't seem the most appropriate place for unrelated feature hunting or nitpicking, but this count-in thing is also one of my gripes. At least being able to monitor the input would be nice.
Thanks for supporting the request juan_r.

Yeah... I only brought this up in here because I had already posted it for years in the Feature Request thread to no avail. Also, as a developer myself, I know when your head is in a certain area of coding, it's often times a good idea to bring up related issues like this... killing two birds with one stone... as it were.

Cheers,

Andrew K