Old 05-19-2020, 04:13 AM   #1
mortedearthur
Human being with feelings

Default Have I found the AVL drums?

One of the goodies new to Ubuntu Studio was meant to be the AVL drums. They are called that because they come from the AV Linux audio distro. They have been put into Ubuntu Studio 20.04 for the first time.

Yet I watched tutorial after tutorial on YouTube about Ubuntu Studio 20.04. In some of them the AVL drums were mentioned. But then where they were was never shown. Hmm. Weird. But I think that I have found them:

When I open up Carla Bay and go down the list under add+ plugin, there are two entries: Black Pearl Drumkit, and Black Pearl Drumkit Multi. Their developer is listed as Gareus. I added the Multi version and for some reason some of the drums don't seem to make noise when I hit them with my mouse. Then I tried the normal version and that worked perfectly in my track with all the drumkit parts, cymbal, tom etc, all making a great realistic sound. I don't know if I have to use Carla Rack to get these. I don't know why the multi version doesn't seem to work for me. Anyway I just use the other version.

So I think that this is it: the AVL drums in Ubuntu studio. Unless I have somehow stumbled on some other provided drumkit. They sound good!
mortedearthur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:28 AM   #2
Mcgiver69

I don't think Carla has multi output routing, I could be wrong but that's my understanding.

Another option is to go to the AVL Website and download the SFZ version which contains separate files for each kit piece and play them using SFZero. First route the outputs of your main midi track to subtracks (Kick, snare, etc...) and on eack track add SFZero with the respective piece loaded.

Another way is to just put all separate SFZ's in the same midi track and send each plugin to a separate track (Audio only) then save the whole thing as a Track Template, so next time you need it just add the track template as a new track and it will pull the whole config at once (routing and all).

The main track will send the repective midi to each track which will be played by SFZero. That's how I do it and works well.

Last edited by Mcgiver69; 05-19-2020 at 06:01 AM.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:32 AM   #3
JamesPeters

Also you can use the drums that are in my signature link.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #4
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Also you can use the drums that are in my signature link.
I tried those and they sound great and work very well. Another great choice.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:06 AM   #5
sub26nico

2 things :
- Carla can have multi-outputs if you use Carla-Patchbay.
- avldrumkits (stereo and multi-outputs) can be used as vst in Reaper Linux using lv2vst.
It's a wrapper to bridge lv2 as vst. It is not working with all lv2, but it works nicely with avldrums. Easy to compile and to set.
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub26nico View Post
2 things :
- Carla can have multi-outputs if you use Carla-Patchbay.
- avldrumkits (stereo and multi-outputs) can be used as vst in Reaper Linux using lv2vst.
It's a wrapper to bridge lv2 as vst. It is not working with all lv2, but it works nicely with avldrums. Easy to compile and to set.
Didn't know, thanks for the info. I will try it out.