Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 06-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
CEART
Human being with feelings

Default Resize Reaper fonts for users suffering vision issues.

Hi,

Is it possible to change the font size in Menus and Reaper windows? for example FX and Action List. I want to do it without changing too much the native resolution in Windows, actually at 1920 x 1080. I have two 21.5-inch monitors and these windows are difficult for me to read, due to my chronic eye fatigue.

I have already tried increasing the text size percentage in Windows in 'Make text and other items larger or smaller' but other applications appear disproportionately large. I also tried it in 'Advanced UI / System Settings' / Scale UI elements of track / mixer panels ....' but it only increases the size of the GUI as can be seen in the screen capture.
Thanks.

Last edited by CEART; 06-29-2020 at 03:52 PM.
CEART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

There's an action Show theme tweak/configuration window you can run. If you filter for fonts you'll see a whole list of these that you can change.

Trouble is, it isn't obvious which font does what (if you seem what I mean).

Might be worth your while after checking this out to ask on theme forum for guidance on which Walter font does what. I suspect one of these might possibly do the trick?

Sorry I can't be more specific, but this should set you on the right track ...

.... or I can move this thread there if you'd like me to ... that might be better ,...

on edit: moved to themes forum.

Last edited by nicholas; 06-29-2020 at 08:27 PM.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
CEART

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
.... or I can move this thread there if you'd like me to ... that might be better ,...
- I will look for the action you pointed.
- Yes, it would be a good idea to move to the more specific thread, please do so, I'll be in tune, thanks.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #4
CEART

Quote:
There's an action Show theme tweak/configuration window you can run. If you filter for fonts you'll see a whole list of these that you can change.
Ah yes! I already knew and have frequented that window to customize my themes in Reaper 5 but I never managed to edit or make changes to the fonts of the windows that I mentioned. I don't think it has changed in version 6, not sure.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
CEART

Done! I modified the code and the respective data entries and pointers in exe Reaper file and set the custom font size for each window and menu I want. Now everything is fully readable! But I would still like to find a normal way to do it. It's a little awkward have to tweak and compile on each new rev. build . I still attentive to any idea.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #6
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEART View Post
Done! I modified the code and the respective data entries and pointers in exe Reaper file and set the custom font size for each window and menu I want. Now everything is fully readable! But I would still like to find a normal way to do it. It's a little awkward have to tweak and compile on each new rev. build . I still attentive to any idea.
Gee, I am seriously impressed! Well done.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
rncwalker

Quote:

Can you tell us (Others that would also like this in larger fonts) where this can de done?

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:32 PM   #8
CEART

Quote:
Gee, I am seriously impressed! Well done.
Well, not my merit only, I am pupil of my own son lol, this took me 3 hours to do it while him would get done in 10 minutes A genius like developer and programmer prospect at his early 17's, he is dedicated to host sites data bases, web design, php, phyton, java, c's etc. I am trying to convince him to join the Reaper scripting stuff. I really can not, I have a lot of music making pending, I would need another life!

Next two compare captures with some windows and menues, before and after tweaking.
- Please - note that these are small monitors at 1920x1080 system screen resolution. This would have not to be an issue in 24 or 25 inch and up monitors .

Last edited by CEART; 07-02-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:40 PM   #9
rncwalker

All I need to know is if he did this in

A) reaper.ini
B) rfconfig,txt

But I understand

Music come first for Me too.

Well at least I know it can be done.

Robert
Old 07-02-2020, 07:57 PM   #10
CEART

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncwalker View Post
All I need to know is if he did this in

A) reaper.ini
B) rfconfig,txt

But I understand

Music come first for Me too.

Well at least I know it can be done.

Robert
There is no modifiable parameter in the usual way via ini or txt Reaper reference files. It was done modifying the exe file and translating hexadecimal to high level code which requires some coding knowledge.

Hopefully Reaper devs bring windows/menus font re-sizing as a native program feature
since it would help a lot for a better experience on small monitors or in cases of requiring special customization.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:59 AM   #11
rncwalker

Quote:
It was done modifying the exe file and translating hexadecimal to high level code which requires some coding knowledge.

Do not update your version of Reaper. You will lose your changes to the fonts.
Or you will need to re do the changes after each update.

Robert
Old 07-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #12
mozart999uk

I'd find this useful too....

Should we put in a feature request?
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
Distressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
I'd find this useful too....

Should we put in a feature request?
Please do. I can barely read the text in the preferences window and it's even worse in the add fx window. I wonder how people are able to work like this?

I have just moved from MacOs to Windows and on the Mac i never had an issue with too small or too large text. This seems to be a Windows issue.

@ CEART: It would be really helpful if you and your son could point out how you were able to fix this. I bet a lot of people would be very grateful.
Distressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
NucleoxMusic

Hello everyone!! , as my dad said, we’ve been working together on the way to modify the size of the fonts of the reaper dialogs and successfully accomplished to do it. Due to request from many of you in the need of help in this issue; I’m currently working on a process detailed guide to do it.

I wanted to ask where you think is the best thread to post it.

All the processes indicated on the guide should be done only if you have minimum experience on programming and basic software knowledge. I’ll not be responsible for any damage, errors or malfunctions on the reaper executable if something goes wrong or isn’t done properly and as indicated on the modification guide.

I have to clarify that until now I am scratching in Reaper code and I cannot develop a reliable script yet. For this I only used my previous knowledge in other programming areas, I am 17 years old and I am learning as fast as I can.
The expert Reaper developers and the amazing script creators here on the forum are being my inspiration and source of insight. Thank you.

Last edited by NucleoxMusic; 07-16-2020 at 07:02 AM.
NucleoxMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:47 PM   #15
Distressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucleoxMusic View Post
I’m currently working on a process detailed guide to do it.
Awesome!

Post it here or make a pdf and upload it to some free hoster and post the link.
I'd love to try it.
Distressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:02 AM   #16
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distressor View Post
Please do. I can barely read the text in the preferences window and it's even worse in the add fx window. I wonder how people are able to work like this?

I have just moved from MacOs to Windows and on the Mac i never had an issue with too small or too large text. This seems to be a Windows issue.

@ CEART: It would be really helpful if you and your son could point out how you were able to fix this. I bet a lot of people would be very grateful.
Done:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....63#post2319763

Please could everyone vote for it.....
Old 07-27-2020, 01:02 PM   #17
em0

Hi, I'm really interested in hearing more about how you guys managed to do this. I really can't read the fx/prefs/plugins fonts on Windows 10, so have to rely on Magnifier (which is a bit tedious). Other gui elements and fonts are nicely scalable, and the menu's fontsize I can control well with Windows (bit of help from the Windows Font Size Changer utility). Meanwhile, on my Linux box all Reaper fonts are easily customized with libSwell.colortheme (as per these instructions: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=226178). Would love to see similar functionality on Windows, but in the meantime, you seem to have found a workaround. Please do post a link in this thread if you should decide to share some tips/instructions.
em0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #18
NucleoxMusic

It is possible the change font sizes in every Reaper menu. Here for FX window in actual version 6.13

Font size 8 (original)

Font size 10

Font size 12

We have just worked v6.13 / x64 and July 32 - 23, 2020 (check screenshots🔽) with total success and without altering program's normal operation and characteristics at all. The implicit advantage here is this process don't make any global changes to the PS GUI that could impact the appearance of other applications aside Reaper.

It's important to remember that the changes will be lost in every Reaper update but we can make the changes for 20 areas in a few minutes, however since the process of resizing OS native fonts in Reapers menus involves alteration/tweaking data in the original program executable and even if the process can be relatively easy and quick for those of us involved in that task kind, it could requires a not so usual degree of knowledge from average users.
Therefore we have decided not to make it public by now to avoid errors, malfunctioning by lack of user expertise as well as norms or copyrights issues.
Needless to say, If we were to get authorization to make it public, we would do it immediately, but the risks would be the total responsibility of the user.

I think the most logical step up would be Reaper dev team take in mind this very important issue and implement it natively, or someone, 3rd devs create a script for that purpose if possible. I think I will can do it when get more into Reaper scripting, going for it soon, promise!
In the meantime If anyone really needs to run over this, accomplish better readability and take care of health vision, feel free to pm me 💬. We will gladly try to help.
------ Font size increase in others different Reaper areas/menu/windows ------

Action list

Preferences

Code editor

NucleoxMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:44 AM   #19
tonybeepbeep

Just a quick note here as a placeholder.

I'm elated that people have worked a solution out for this as my mum worked for 25 years in a centre for people with visual disabilities. As I age I'm realising that eyesight takes no prisoners and at 48yo I need a little help with the menu text sizes.

I'll be sure to run through the steps and give it a whirl.

Thanks so much
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:50 AM   #20
Coachz

The frustrating thing is that by having to edit the EXE more people will stop downloading the dev versions to avoid the inconvenience of having to continually edit the EXE. I hope Reaper can prioritize this and make it a native function.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:53 PM   #21
CEART

Yes, and in this case about an issue related to helping to take care of eye health, it should be first on the list. Hopefully it get native soon!
In the meantime, I don't mind spending some minutes (my son get it on 10 min) doing the mods if that is going to mean +/- 30 days of better vision and help for my eyes until the next Reaper update arrive. Contact us via PM We will gladly try to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucleoxMusic View Post
In the meantime If anyone really needs to run over this, accomplish better readability and take care of health vision, feel free to pm me. We will gladly try to help.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #22
HockeyMike

Thanks so much guys, sent a PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:03 AM   #23
Jerok

Quote:
There is no modifiable parameter in the usual way via ini or txt Reaper reference files. It was done modifying the exe file and translating hexadecimal to high level code which requires some coding knowledge.

Hopefully Reaper devs bring windows/menus font re-sizing as a native program feature
since it would help a lot for a better experience on small monitors or in cases of requiring special customization.
This is such a great idea.
The configuration window should have a font section to change font size and maybe even pick your own font.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....87#post2329687

Last edited by Jerok; 08-08-2020 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Update
Jerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #24
Meo-Ada Mespotine

@NucleoxMusic
Can you share some of the experiences with the changed fontsizes? How big/small can they be? Do dialogs change sizes accordingly and are some of them mire difficult to read?
Does it work on Win, Linux and Mac without a problem or are there inconsistencies between the three platforms?

The reason I ask is, that the devs may know that way, what the possible obstacles are they would need to cover when and if adding that feature at some point.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:48 PM   #25
jcfitn

Any news about this magic solution?
jcfitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:48 PM   #26
MusicMan74

Does anyone have the instructions to modify the EXE they could share with me? I have PM'd NucleoxMusic 5 days ago now and have not heard back...
MusicMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:10 PM   #27
Frantick

Please note that by installing Reaper software you agree to its End User License Agreement in which clause 3.1 states that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper EULA
3.1 You may not alter, merge, modify, adapt or translate the Software, or decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or otherwise reduce the Software to a human-perceivable form.
In other words, you should not modify the Reaper files in any way!

However, should someone (for educational purposes only, of course) decide to break this agreement, changing the font size in dialogs is quite simple, just remember that by modifying Reaper's resources you waive your rights to report any defects in the operation of the software, as any anomalies may be related to the fact that you modified the software

To begin with, you will need a program that allows you to modify resources such as:
Resurce Hacker - http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/#download

You will need to run Resource Hacker with elevated privilages (right click and "run as administartor") if you installed Raper in folder that restricts access like default C:\Program Files\Reaper (x64)\

The process is really simple, just follow the few steps below:

1. Open Reaper.exe in Resource Hacker
2. Find dialog you want to edit (1 & 2 on screenshot above)
3. Edit font size (3 on sceenshot above)
4. Compile, (4 on screenshot above or F5)
5. Save Reaper.exe

Some dialogs, such as Preferences, are built with multiple smaller forms, in which case it is not enough to scale only the main form, but you also need to find the corresponding dialogs that are used inside and scale them accordingly.

Example of scaled dialog:

Treat this post as informational only, I will not respond to any requests for help.

PS. I understand if the moderation decides that this post is not appropriate and decides to remove it, although maybe it will help users of the program before the authors of Reaper implement a native solution
Frantick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:19 AM   #28
Lopez

Ok, now that we know where and how to change the font size...
How long will it take until someone brings up an automated "patcher"?

And for the love of god, can devs not implement at least a quick and dirty font coefficient in reaper.ini?

Per default it's 0, and 1 adds just 1 font size to every font call (shown above), so that font size that was 8 is now 9 etc...!? That would prevent editing in reaper.exe and would help those who are in need of a bigger font size...

Reaper is able to change almost ANYTHING in its UI - but the global font size - is that simply too much, too difficult?
Guys, please....
Old 08-04-2022, 03:28 AM   #29
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Ok, now that we know where and how to change the font size...
How long will it take until someone brings up an automated "patcher"?

And for the love of god, can devs not implement at least a quick and dirty font coefficient in reaper.ini?

Per default it's 0, and 1 adds just 1 font size to every font call (shown above), so that font size that was 8 is now 9 etc...!? That would prevent editing in reaper.exe and would help those who are in need of a bigger font size...

Reaper is able to change almost ANYTHING in its UI - but the global font size - is that simply too much, too difficult?
Guys, please....
Just "+1'd" your FR on this issue. Perhaps others could do the same?
Old 08-08-2022, 07:01 AM   #30
WilliamOron

Default there is an addon that does this more elegently

https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=241546
WilliamOron is offline   Reply With Quote