Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #41
Yanick
Human being with feelings

But in the end, it seems to me that TS is associated with such a large number of operations that it will be very difficult to abandon it by default.
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #42
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
But AS is not selecting the item and i think that's because AS doesn't care about what's underneath, but what's inside the box. How could AS detect the size of the item in order to extend the selection to the size of the item?
Um, there are mechanisms in REAPER that can take care of that.
With the API you can for example detect the item underneath the mouse cursor.
And I’m sure the devs have even more elaborate ways to achieve that.

Last edited by _Stevie_; 08-10-2020 at 11:17 AM.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #43
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanick View Post
But in the end, it seems to me that TS is associated with such a large number of operations that it will be very difficult to abandon it by default.
It is, but we've been using it to do things that it's not particularly well-suited for.

My sense for Time Selection vs Area Selection:

TS: best suited for operations on All Tracks within a Time Selection.
ie -- Crop Project To Selection, Insert Empty Space in Selection, Remove Contents of Selection.

AS: best suited for operations on Some (or one!) Item(s) within an area.
ie -- Duplicate, delete, resize item areas and envelopes.

AS is more "I wanna do stuff on this thing or these things, direct interaction with items/envelopes

TS is more "I wanna do stuff on Everything between X1 and X2".

Right now we're using TS to do things way more suited to AS. Just wondering if there's plans to give those actions to their more rightful methodology.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #44
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
It is, but we've been using it to do things that it's not particularly well-suited for.

ie -- Crop Project To Selection, Insert Empty Space in Selection, Remove Contents of Selection.

AS is more "I wanna do stuff on this thing or these things, direct interaction with items/envelopes

Right now we're using TS to do things way more suited to AS. Just wondering if there's plans to give those actions to their more rightful methodology.
adding to that TS is different from AS also by its volatile ( after some clicks AS is gone ) TS tends to keep place over most of actions.

so even things that may seems to suit more AS makes sense have in TS also as they differ in this aspect .
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #45
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanick View Post
It would be much more correct to make the markuee tool on the left drag and the area selection on the right drag by default. Because for the area selection the place where to start drawing is important, but for the markuee tool it is not so important, and on the left drag it will be good
Or just have them available as mouse modifiers and let the user decide...
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #46
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post

Agree. I hope the plan is to add AS to some of the existing TS actions. Especially now that AS is coming along nicely and is feeling pretty stable. I suspect that is indeed the plan even if it'll take some time to fully realize.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #47
bolgwrad

Toggle TS/AS has got to be the way - even if you have to drag down the edges of a time selection to fit an item. Then it won't matter which mouse button you use, or if you use the 'wrong' one. Once you establish an AS, you can adjust it to suit. Toggling TS to AS allows you to 'preserve' an AS, too.

As it is, TS is a very efficient loop tool.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:12 PM   #48
RobinGShore

I know this is kind of nitpicky, but I'd prefer if the theme color setting for "area selection outline"did not color the divider lines for each track within the area selection. It gives the impression of a separate area selection for each track rather than one continuous selection that copies and moves as a whole
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #49
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
I know this is kind of nitpicky, but I'd prefer if the theme color setting for "area selection outline"did not color the divider lines for each track within the area selection. It gives the impression of a separate area selection for each track rather than one continuous selection that copies and moves as a whole
+1 Agreed
Old 08-10-2020, 05:44 PM   #50
Yanick

This variant with area selection is possible in any case. But then the area selection should be functionally modified as time selection. But is it really necessary? Too drastic changes. And there will be much or too much work to be done
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #51
RobinGShore

I've brought this up in a few previous threads, so sorry to belabor the point, but it's been a little while and there hasn't been any movement or response so I feel like it bears repeating. Please, please can the options for autocrossfades and trim behind items apply to area selections. It's really frustrating and confusing that these options don't have any effect on edits made via area selection
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:43 PM   #52
daniellumertz

Quote:
I've brought this up in a few previous threads, so sorry to belabor the point, but it's been a little while and there hasn't been any movement or response so I feel like it bears repeating. Please, please can the options for autocrossfades and trim behind items apply to area selections. It's really frustrating and confusing that these options don't have any effect on edits made via area selection
I have also questioned it in the area selection thread this week....

I think it should followthe configs of reaper, not just trim everybody... TS can do that so why not AS... Said that I thinkkk, that this is probably in the devs "to do list"
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:50 AM   #53
_Stevie_

Quote:
Yes agreed, and this would also avoid the following "double lines":

Old 08-11-2020, 02:59 AM   #54
_Stevie_

Also, let me suggest to add "create area selection on all visible tracks" and let me demonstrate why a simple time selection won't work here:

Old 08-11-2020, 05:30 AM   #55
amagalma

Regarding grouped items, could we have an option like this?:
Options: Area Selection of one grouped item is mirrored to all items in the group
Old 08-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #56
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Yes agreed, and this would also avoid the following "double lines":

Yeah, that's just not ideal at all. And the "inner" track lines aren't helping visually in any way. The only thing they tell you visually is you are moving 'x' amount of tracks which is fairly useless. The AS borders are what is important and are the only thing that should be there. Trying to delineate everything inside the AS borders is just clutter and is more detrimental than helpful imho.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #57
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Yeah, that's just not ideal at all. And the "inner" track lines aren't helping visually in any way. The only thing they tell you visually is you are moving 'x' amount of tracks which is fairly useless. The AS borders are what is important and are the only thing that should be there. Trying to delineate everything inside the AS borders is just clutter and is more detrimental than helpful imho.
At some part they are useful, like seeing where to drag the edge per lane, move one area or copy one area only, or just exclude a part from main selection size.
Even though i don't prefer seeing all the lines for each track, i think it might be nice if we could see one line at a time, when the mouse is over each line, or when we click to edit them.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:32 AM   #58
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
At some part they are useful, like seeing where to drag the edge per lane, move one area or copy one area only, or just exclude a part from main selection size.
Even though i don't prefer seeing all the lines for each track, i think it might be nice if we could see one line at a time, when the mouse is over each line, or when we click to edit them.
If you put a line around every single thing, it defeats the purpose of having them because the eye can't tell what is what. It has now become too much information. The outside borders of the AS provide by far the most valuable feedback, so if inner track lines look identical to the outer border lines, it is just making that visual feedback less clear and more cluttered.

Consider this, you take away the outside borders of the AS, you would be completely blind and not know what is selected/what you are moving. You take away the inner lines, you can still easily see what is selected and move it where you want.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #59
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
If you put a line around every single thing, it defeats the purpose of having them because the eye can't tell what is what. It has now become too much information. The outside borders of the AS provide by far the most valuable feedback, so if inner track lines look identical to the outer border lines, it is just making that visual feedback less clear and more cluttered.

Consider this, you take away the outside borders of the AS, you would be completely blind and not know what is selected/what you are moving. You take away the inner lines, you can still easily see what is selected and move it where you want.
Agreed, i prefer a cleaner AS interface without all those lines, but also to maintain the outside borders.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:40 PM   #60
PitchSlap

I've rarely ever used area selection (I'm probably missing something), so this change of default selection behaviour seems a bit odd.

But not a huge deal as long as I can change it back.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:21 PM   #61
Joe90

If you're still working on media explorer refinements, then it would be great if we could get an action for 'clear search field'.

Thanks!
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:25 AM   #62
svijayrathinam

Selecting Only take envelopes with area selection will be very useful..Pls
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:39 AM   #63
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
Selecting Only take envelopes with area selection will be very useful..Pls
Yeah that would be great if later was supported. Also for track automation when they are in media lane.

Ableton devs thought of it right. They merged the label area to move,split etc the item with AS and the media item context for envelope selections.

But another possible solution could be if the mouse could detect take/track envelopes when it's over an envelope lane and create AS to the height of each take/track envelope lane.
This way could tell Reaper that it selects only the envelope and not the item and it would be even better than Ableton's way imo.

Sum: when the mouse is over a take/track envelope lane, create AS to the height of envelope lane, else create item selection.

Last edited by Vagelis; 08-12-2020 at 03:08 AM.