Old 08-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #41
daniellumertz
Human being with feelings

Nice Ideas rasmusmarshagen
+1!

Other idea have tabs in it ( like internet ) I have seen ideas to implement this on the windows explorer (not from windows it self unfortunately ) and it seems great to fast transitioning between folders
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:41 PM   #42
mccrabney

could we get "more zoom" via mousewheel in the MX Media Preview panel?

zooming on content in the Media Preview is excruciatingly slow in the MX vs Arrange view. i'm looking at a 3 minute mp3 right now, and zooming in to the first few transients of this file takes no less than 12 finger swipes of the mousewheel, vs 2.5 in the arrange view.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:56 PM   #43
Odys

Ability to export files trough media explorer, both audio and MIDI with batching and preserving media item names. Created nice beat? Just drag and drop it into media explorer! Creating own libraries would be much easier.

Last edited by Odys; 09-02-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Odys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:38 PM   #44
Embass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
zooming on content in the Media Preview is excruciatingly slow..
do you know about ctrl + left drag zooming?
Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:30 AM   #45
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embass View Post
Thanks for point at this.

I did not know because there is no quick way to know this and although the functionality exists it's probably underused. Also the directions for zooming in and out are inverted compared to the same thing in the arrange.
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:05 AM   #46
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embass View Post
no, not after 13 years. thanks for the tip. but why such a different zoom method?
Old 09-01-2020, 07:22 AM   #47
mccrabney

here's a weird problem i've noticed in the MX -- dragging a file without leaving the MX window causes a ghost object to be temporarily placed in Arrange. this happens haphazardly, as shown in the gif below. the ghost object appears to the bottom right of the MX window.

the hanger-on to this issue is that the preview display disappears as soon as you start dragging a file. this isn't good - if you're playing a file, listening to its contents, you don't want it to stop just because you decide it belongs in a particular database.

dragging a file should not stop playback of whatever's in the media explorer preview pane.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:38 AM   #48
mccrabney

likewise, deleting an unrelated folder/file should not stop playback of whatever's playing in the preview pane.

note regarding previous post, i do have "autostop preview after adding media" toggled off - but the preview stops at drag, well before media is added to a track
Old 09-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #49
mccrabney

more funny clickdrag behavior.

1- go to a folder with a lot of files in it (so that you can scroll to the bottom of the folder)
2- scroll to the bottom of the folder.
3- click and drag a file, and drop it in the same folder (ex: user decides not to import the sample, or etc)
4- issue: MX browses back to the "top" of the folder.
5- expected behavior: scroll position shouldn't reset

this is particularly evident due to relatively small mouse movements triggering this "drag" behavior -- another candidate for the "tiny mouse movement" fix that comes around now and then?
Old 09-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #50
Arthur McArthur

+1 on all points mccrabney, I'm reposting something I posted in one of the pre threads here;

One new issue with the new media explorer is that dragging a sample and releasing it returns the view to the top of the folder and stops preview of the item. This is very easy to do accidentally when you are quickly browsing samples, making it much more difficult than previous versions:

https://i.imgur.com/5HFIGw2.gif

I'd also like to request a related media explorer feature:
Every click on a file plays it. There's no double click function, it just plays the sound every time you click on it. This lets you easily preview sounds and jam them rhythmically without having to scroll down to the media explorer play button after the first click.

Another media explorer issue is:

Using the mousewheel to quickly scroll away from the selected sound while it is playing snaps back the view of the media explorer to the selected item :

https://i.imgur.com/lUVSkun.gif

Another issue is that when sorting by favourite, marking an item as a favourite snaps the view to the top (where the favourites are). I think the majority of use cases would want the view to remain where it was, so you can keep scrolling and marking favourites.
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:30 AM   #51
mccrabney

here's an important MX/windows explorer discrepancy:

when you're in windows explorer and click the "parent folder" button, you go to the parent folder and the previously visited folder is selected. this is a useful way of finding a folder in a busy parent folder.

reaper's MX does not do this. EDIT - hm, it doesn't seem to do it reliably. i'm getting that behavior sometimes, but i'm also able to NOT get it. i'll do some more testing.

ah, i think i see the issue. if a user didn't explicitly enter a folder before hitting the "parent folder" button, then the folder doesn't appear selected after that button was pressed. expected behavior would be that, regardless of a user's trajectory, hitting the "parent button" would highlight the previously visited folder.

Last edited by mccrabney; 09-03-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:38 AM   #52
mccrabney

steps to reproduce the above:

1- open MX
2- paste a "deep" directory eg C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)
3- hit "parent folder" button
4- issue: "Reaper (x64)" folder is not highlighted
5- double click "Reaper (x64)" folder to enter it
6- hit "parent folder" button
7- NOTE: "Reaper (x64)" folder is highlighted. this is the expected behavior for step 4.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:17 AM   #53
Archie

There is an action "Media explorer: Preview media item source media".
Would like to:
1. If the item is cropped, then when opening it in Explorer, the area around the item's borders should be highlighted (see the GIF)
2. if the AutoPlay checkbox is unchecked in the Explorer, then playback did not start.

1. GIF

-------------------------------------

Would also like to be able to narrow / push the Explorer to the maximum.

Attached Images
File Type: png 123.png (13.7 KB, 1278 views)
Old 09-18-2020, 03:46 AM   #54
juan_r

While we're on it, might I politely ask for the gain slider to turn into a velocity slider in the case of MIDI items?
juan_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:24 AM   #55
musicbynumbers

That would be very useful agreed!

Also, similar option for project bay media tab whereby we can show in media explorer the currently selected item with its bounds selected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
There is an action "Media explorer: Preview media item source media".
Would like to:
1. If the item is cropped, then when opening it in Explorer, the area around the item's borders should be highlighted (see the GIF)
2. if the AutoPlay checkbox is unchecked in the Explorer, then playback did not start.

1. GIF

-------------------------------------

Would also like to be able to narrow / push the Explorer to the maximum.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #56
Archie

Would also like fx chain to be displayed in the explorer and be able to drag fx chain to the track or item, And would like to have the option "Replace the entire chain when dragging to the track" and "Add chain to the existing chain"

Would also like to see an option in the Explorer settings, when dragging a track template to an existing track, create a new track, as it is now, and replace the existing track.

Last edited by Archie; 10-02-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:17 AM   #57
ramses

I seem to experience that previewing audio with autoplay enabled, just randomly clicking on audio files, is a bit slower using the new versi8n. Like it's lagging a bit sometimes. Anyone else experience this?
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:04 AM   #58
tronce

Default rename file shortcut

Like me, would you need a shortcut key/media explorer action to rename a file without rick click to open contextual menu?
tronce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:01 PM   #59
markhw

Upon reflection on adding .RFxChain management options to media explorer, it should ideally extend to browsing single FX VSTs and VSTis too. Good sound design workflow would be to integrate FX, FXChains, samples, midi files, and other media types in a single browsing experience. For example, it would be very helpful to group percussion devices and fxchains with percussion samples and midi files.

In any case, as it is now we cannot properly organize FX or FXChains in the FX browser. With adding FXChains management to media explorer you can save favorite FX and FXchains as .RFxChain files and group them with all other media exactly in this way.

Last edited by markhw; 10-23-2020 at 10:09 PM.
markhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:21 PM   #60
YuriOl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
Would also like fx chain to be displayed in the explorer and be able to drag fx chain to the track or item, And would like to have the option "Replace the entire chain when dragging to the track" and "Add chain to the existing chain"

Would also like to see an option in the Explorer settings, when dragging a track template to an existing track, create a new track, as it is now, and replace the existing track.
+1 A good idea!
YuriOl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #61
tpunk

At this stage, the functions of Media Explorer have become dramatically easier to use, which is very helpful.

However, there are times when the display response when deleting a file is slow, and touching the file again seems to cause the error "This file is in use".

If you can immediately turn off the display of the file when you delete it, you can work without stress.
tpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #62
Ozman

Being able to use wnd_width or maybe min_width with the explorer (in reaper.ini) would be great for those of us who like to use the horizontal layout while the explorer is docked to right side. I prefer to dock the explorer to the right and switch between it and the Master MCP (with explorer maintaining its width when switching back to it from the slimmer Master MCP.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #63
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
Being able to use wnd_width or maybe min_width with the explorer (in reaper.ini) would be great for those of us who like to use the horizontal layout while the explorer is docked to right side. I prefer to dock the explorer to the right and switch between it and the Master MCP (with explorer maintaining its width when switching back to it from the slimmer Master MCP.
That’s generally an issue annoying me that when multiple things are docked to the right they all have to have the same size. And when the master is included everything else gets unusably slim.
But yeah, not only MX related in my case so perhaps I should make a FR.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:30 AM   #64
ramses

Oh, I just thought of a feature I would LOVE to have in the Media Explorer - some kind of automatic (optional!) LUFS or RMS averaging with complementary gain adjustments. Perhaps also peak lvl max or similar.

So, with this option turned ON, Reaper would pre-scan the file and make the appropriate adjustment of the preview gain to compensate.

This would allow, for example, great quick level-adjusted A/B comparisons of mixes and/or reference mixes. Or just samples and stuff.

I would sure use it. Anyone else?
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:52 PM   #65
the19thbear

I don't know if this has been covered, but i *SO MUCH* want the pitch know to have 2 modes: One for time stretching and one for normal tape style pitching (when you lower the pitch, the speed lowers as well). Currently there is the time stretching version, but for my work (audio post production and sound design, with a huge sfx library), having the tape style pitching is a must have.

I have been using soundminer (software for sound libraries) in the past, but if you add this feature, I could stay completely in reaper. It would be a dream come true!

Pretty please!!!
the19thbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #66
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thbear View Post
I don't know if this has been covered, but i *SO MUCH* want the pitch know to have 2 modes: One for time stretching and one for normal tape style pitching (when you lower the pitch, the speed lowers as well). Currently there is the time stretching version, but for my work (audio post production and sound design, with a huge sfx library), having the tape style pitching is a must have.
in 6.16 there is now separate pitch and rate controls and you can toggle preserve pitch.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:08 AM   #67
the19thbear

I think you just saved me a soundminer update Might be using reaper only now!
Hurrayyyyy!

This is pretty amazing!

Last edited by the19thbear; 11-24-2020 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:21 AM   #68
airon

That is indeed super awesome.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:45 AM   #69
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
in 6.16 there is now separate pitch and rate controls and you can toggle preserve pitch.
note that the pitch knob leaves much to be desired. if your file is n cents out of "true" key, it's nearly impossible to tune it properly by mouse - you have to type in the cent adjustment, and then again type in +/-1 in order to adjust the semitone to tune to your project.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:48 AM   #70
juan_r

Another issue of "please, let the user type exact values"?
juan_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:54 AM   #71
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
Another issue of "please, let the user type exact values"?
maybe i'm not understanding what you mean, but yes, you can type the exact value. that's the problem - you have to use the keyboard, you can't use the knob to tune stuff that isn't already "tuned" to a "true" root note.

here's a gif where i show how difficult this is to do with the media explorer knob. i even use the "Shift" modifier to go from coarse to "fine," but "fine" = ~24c. that is not fine. 1c is fine. imagine if guitar string tuning knobs only had 24c increments.

Old 11-24-2020, 04:56 AM   #72
mccrabney

the media explorer tuning knob needs to be cumulative. if i make an adjustment in cents, subsequent semitone adjustments need to account for that.

eg:

1- user has a sample that's -40c shy of a "true" C
2- user uses a true 1c-increment "fine" control to adjust +40c
3- user then releases the "fine" control to adjust +4 semitones
4- at end of this edit, Pitch knob should read "4.40"

desired: final pitch value = cent adjustment + semitone adjustment
current behavior: any cent adjustment is lost when you move the knob.

use case: i work with a ton of found sounds/world music that aren't tuned "true"
without being able to tune them easily to my project, i can't properly demo them
as a result, i often forgo the MX altogether and bring potential samples directly into my project to tune them using Main Screen tuning actions, since they are cumulative.

Last edited by mccrabney; 11-24-2020 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:42 AM   #73
mccrabney

here's another implementation that could be considered:

this is what you see when you have an audio file loaded in a clip in Ableton's Arrange view.
there are 2 tuning params, one for semitones and one for cents.
note that moving the semitone knob (above) doesn't reset the base "detune" value in cents (below), as it does in REAPER

using this adjustment combo, a user can quickly/easily correct and preview a +40c sharp file.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:12 AM   #74
VVV

Media explorer improvement is a game changer for sample based music.
It would be even to have access to it with scripting to add extra features
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:17 AM   #75
the19thbear

Would be cool to have a preference that you can tick on/off, that can reset pitch/rate every time you select a new file. having constant pitch/rate change across wave file playback is really nice, but it is also sometime nice to have it to reset everytime you select a new file.

Also:
Marking the files you have already played with a darker hightlight/background would be nice. Then you can visually have a "history" view of what files you have already heard.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2020, 04:12 AM   #76
YuriOl

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
I suffer from a major case of dyslexia and my eyes are very sensitive to color.

Both disabilities makes reading text very difficult. Icons, dark mode and other accessibility features in the Windows Explorer help people like me navigate files.

Here is a list of accessibility features needed in Media Explorer if we are no longer going to have access to the Windows Explorer in reaper.

1) In the Windows Explorer the users can create custom icons for default folders as well as individual folder as show in the images below. Being able to assign custom icons will allow users to search quicker visually instead of having to read the text of the file.

2) The font size and icon size are smaller in the Media Explorer version. Larger folder icons would help.

For the sake of others with visual impairments as well as those who suffer from Dyslexia please bring the Explorer back to Reaper. If that's not possible, please help us with the above needs.

Reaper Media Explorer

+1500! I agree!
YuriOl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #77
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thbear View Post
Would be cool to have a preference that you can tick on/off, that can reset pitch/rate every time you select a new file. having constant pitch/rate change across wave file playback is really nice, but it is also sometime nice to have it to reset everytime you select a new file.
this is implemented in 6.16, right-click the pitch or rate knob.

It's also in the action list

Options: Reset pitch and rate when changing media
Old 11-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #78
USR

It's not technically possible probably, but I wish these actions could work with third-party samplers.

Media: Insert into active sample player
Media: Insert into sample player on a new track
USR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:31 PM   #79
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by USR View Post
It's not technically possible probably, but I wish these actions could work with third-party samplers.

Media: Insert into active sample player
Media: Insert into sample player on a new track
Off topic, but using Render Item to new File mouse mod. you can drag and drop an item in a third party sampler like kontakt. Maybe is possible heheh.
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #80
WyattRice

I often get wav files from other musicians via e.g. google drive, dropbox, wetransfer, etc.

Sometimes these are just a section, or a solo from a another player, and not the entire file from beginning to the end of the project

I usually download these to the project directory.
So I have a solo that someone sent (just a solo), and I downloaded it to that directory.

I open Reaper, then in media explorer, find that file, and insert into the project.

It would very nice if it would go to the right position, as most of them are broadcast wave format.

So a cool feature action in media explorer that I would use is:
"Insert in selected media items" is to
add an action "Insert as new take and move to source preferred position (BWF)"
Thanks!
Wyatt