Old 08-03-2021, 03:25 AM   #1
Styx
Human being with feelings

Default Will REAPER "takes" ever be improved?

So I just switched from Pro Tools two weeks ago and spent the whole time scratching my head and wondering why Pro Tools even exists at this point. REAPER works so fast and efficiently and seems to do everything just as well, if not better. I loved everything about it and felt the common warning of it having a steep learning curve to be largely overblown. It is intelligently designed and the business ethics of Cockos is unmatched by anything I’ve known or heard.

That said, my excitement came to an abrupt end as soon I got to experience the way takes and comping work in REAPER. I just spent an entire day trying to learn as much as I can about it… In the end, all I am now left with is the sad realization that this function is simply worse than in any DAW I can think of. This visually confusing mess, this pointless puzzle that we’re looking at is so poorly designed it hardly needs further elaboration. I took it for granted that in Pro Tools I could record a hundred takes or short punches if I needed to and still be able to work with it, without stress or confusion. I understand those who started with REAPER and have no idea how playlists work in Pro Tools, for example, might not think there’s any issue here. (If you haven’t seen how it could be better, you’d just assume it’s the way it works.)

Questions I'd like to raise for discussion...

Is it possible that the makers of this wonderful software are aware of this possibly single glaring example of poor REAPER functionality and are working to improve it in the future?

To those who have used Pro Tools before and are now using REAPER… How did you ever get over this?
Old 08-03-2021, 04:54 AM   #2
drichard

I realize everyone works differently, and my initial impression of the take system was similar to yours. I found it confusing and difficult to work with. But after spending time with it, and learning how to optimize work flow, I like it better than the take system in any other DAW. I find I can comp faster. It still looks weird, but for me it's quite fast.

For starters, watch Kenny's video on the take system. It might help. I followed one tip he uses, and re-mapped the mouse click to select a take without moving the cursor. And I also created a toolbar for certain actions.

I've actually found a number of things in Reaper that work a bit differently, and initially I didn't like them, but once I changed my mindset I found them very efficient and fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
So I just switched from Pro Tools two weeks ago and spent the whole time scratching my head and wondering why Pro Tools even exists at this point. REAPER works so fast and efficiently and seems to do everything just as well, if not better. I loved everything about it and felt the common warning of it having a steep learning curve to be largely overblown. It is intelligently designed and the business ethics of Cockos is unmatched by anything I’ve known or heard.

That said, my excitement came to an abrupt end as soon I got to experience the way takes and comping work in REAPER. I just spent an entire day trying to learn as much as I can about it… In the end, all I am now left with is the sad realization that this function is simply worse than in any DAW I can think of. This visually confusing mess, this pointless puzzle that we’re looking at is so poorly designed it hardly needs further elaboration. I took it for granted that in Pro Tools I could record a hundred takes or short punches if I needed to and still be able to work with it, without stress or confusion. I understand those who started with REAPER and have no idea how playlists work in Pro Tools, for example, might not think there’s any issue here. (If you haven’t seen how it could be better, you’d just assume it’s the way it works.)

Questions I'd like to raise for discussion...

Is it possible that the makers of this wonderful software are aware of this possibly single glaring example of poor REAPER functionality and are working to improve it in the future?

To those who have used Pro Tools before and are now using REAPER… How did you ever get over this?
Old 08-03-2021, 05:02 AM   #3
mozart999uk

If you browse the pre-release forum you will see that the devs are thinking about this....as we speak in fact ;-)
Old 08-03-2021, 06:27 AM   #4
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
If you browse the pre-release forum you will see that the devs are thinking about this....as we speak in fact ;-)
Hurray! ?
Old 08-03-2021, 07:35 AM   #5
Styx

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
I realize everyone works differently, and my initial impression of the take system was similar to yours. I found it confusing and difficult to work with. But after spending time with it, and learning how to optimize work flow, I like it better than the take system in any other DAW. I find I can comp faster. It still looks weird, but for me it's quite fast.

For starters, watch Kenny's video on the take system. It might help. I followed one tip he uses, and re-mapped the mouse click to select a take without moving the cursor. And I also created a toolbar for certain actions.

I've actually found a number of things in Reaper that work a bit differently, and initially I didn't like them, but once I changed my mindset I found them very efficient and fast.
By now I have watched nearly everything online about the Reaper takes and I do understand that if I keep working with it, it will naturally get easier... But it's still severely underdeveloped in Reaper and there's no denying that. Thanks so much for the tips though. I will try it on simple projects. With complicated ones, I might record and comp in Pro Tools and then bring everything into Reaper. If they ever introduce a proper take/playlist system, I will gladly uninstall Pro Tools for good.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:36 AM   #6
Styx

Quote:
This is what I needed to hear! And so desperately!

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
serr

I upgraded from Protools HD to Reaper myself around 2009.

I think Reaper's comp system is extra work for no benefit as well. I just kept recording the same way I did in Protools. Generic DAW style tracking. Make a "recording bin" track to record into. Fly takes you get into mix tracks. (ie the tracks you plan to mix the final take from.) Built the actual mix tracks as you go. There's no reason to simulate analog tape deck style overdubbing with switching monitoring and punching in on the fly and all that madness. We have unlimited tracks and no generation loss from flying between tracks.

And what happened was Reaper turned out to be a huge upgrade and time saver for this with one simple feature: New recordings stack up in lanes in the recording track. Right there in the order recorded to grab from. Or change your mind and fly a take back to the recording bin and grab a different one later. Protools had you making a new playlist for every take. "Hold on a second." I would have to tell a client. Then if you make a timeline edit all those hidden playlists are out of sync. I could never go back. I'd never putz around with some comp feature. It just isn't needed. Sorry Reaper! That one is kind of vestigial.

Takes stacking up in lanes of the recording track is happiness and light.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:51 AM   #8
Abraham Liftin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Make a "recording bin" track to record into. Fly takes you get into mix tracks. (ie the tracks you plan to mix the final take from.) Built the actual mix tracks as you go. There's no reason to simulate analog tape deck style overdubbing with switching monitoring and punching in on the fly and all that madness. We have unlimited tracks and no generation loss from flying between tracks.
Exactly what I've always done. I've never once recorded using the "take" system. I just have my "Recording track" (It can be more than one), record there, and when I like a recording, I just drop into my "mix tracks".

I tried using the punch-in system and all that. But I just found it easier to record onto a separate track and then move it to the mixing track.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:53 AM   #9
Coachz

Quote:
Where are ACTUAL Devs talkin about the take system?
Old 08-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #10
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Liftin' View Post
Exactly what I've always done. I've never once recorded using the "take" system. I just have my "Recording track" (It can be more than one), record there, and when I like a recording, I just drop into my "mix tracks".

I tried using the punch-in system and all that. But I just found it easier to record onto a separate track and then move it to the mixing track.
Yep. Unlimited tracks and no generation loss from flying between tracks makes any comp system obsolete IMHO. Working the 'group newly recorded tracks' and 'select all grouped tracks together when clicking on one of them' features leads to recording multitrack while working as though you were only dealing with a single track.

Simple matter of fact features here made for a stunning upgrade over recording in Protools. Their big v9 crash fest is what pushed me. I'm grateful in hindsight! I don't normally have a lot of motivation to reinvent workflows.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #11
Pink Wool

I know this isn't really "the same" but it works perfectly for me!:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=329
Old 08-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #12
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
I know this isn't really "the same" but it works perfectly for me!:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=329
If they could make that work for takes where you didn't need separate tracks I would be in heaven
Old 08-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #13
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
If they could make that work for takes where you didn't need separate tracks I would be in heaven
I'm sure it's coming!
Old 08-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #14
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
I'm sure it's coming!
Well I admire your optimism, after 10 years of using Reaper there are some things that just never appear in spite of how impassioned we get
Old 08-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #15
Pink Wool

Quote:
Well I admire your optimism, after 10 years of using Reaper there are some things that just never appear in spite of how impassioned we get
Pre-releases seem to indicate somesort of answer towards that...
Old 08-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #16
Cosmic Pig

I've never used protools because of the cost and proprietary stuff, but I did have a look at the very basics of their takes system online.

The only weak point on the Reaper takes that I can see is the splits created when a new take is done. Sometimes you need to get rid of them if it's in the middle of audio with a quick crossfade or whatever.

Is that what you guys are bitching about? Seems to me the protools system has more steps in a different area?

I find Reaper intuitive and fast for edits, and easy for micro edits. The side slip in a lane and etc. works well for me, and admittedly without ever having tried it, it looks just as quick as Protools.

I rarely understand the depth of whining when one has to do something to make a daw do something. Mixing takes time. I do however understand the concept of breaking the zone when trying to do something. Please explain to me exactly the extra steps involved with Reaper and why it's utterly useless. Keep in mind I'm an actual user, not a power user, so think of me as one of those slow children we're constantly dodging on the roads.

I'm insulting but I really do want to understand, and I really am slow.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #17
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Pig View Post
I've never used protools because of the cost and proprietary stuff, but I did have a look at the very basics of their takes system online.

The only weak point on the Reaper takes that I can see is the splits created when a new take is done. Sometimes you need to get rid of them if it's in the middle of audio with a quick crossfade or whatever.

Is that what you guys are bitching about? Seems to me the protools system has more steps in a different area?

I find Reaper intuitive and fast for edits, and easy for micro edits. The side slip in a lane and etc. works well for me, and admittedly without ever having tried it, it looks just as quick as Protools.

I rarely understand the depth of whining when one has to do something to make a daw do something. Mixing takes time. I do however understand the concept of breaking the zone when trying to do something. Please explain to me exactly the extra steps involved with Reaper and why it's utterly useless. Keep in mind I'm an actual user, not a power user, so think of me as one of those slow children we're constantly dodging on the roads.

I'm insulting but I really do want to understand, and I really am slow.
Quick swipe is a really excellent way to work with takes that I wish Reaper had. Plus once you have swiped your areas you can click on takes above and below and it will honor the same area in those for previewing.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:07 PM   #18
karbomusic

Quote:
Please explain to me exactly the extra steps involved with Reaper and why it's utterly useless.
It isn't utterly useless, it's tied to the use case for certain users. Also keep in mind a huge amount of complaints are about comping multiple versions of different sets/pieces of takes, not just normal take editing - there are also complaints that are more about wanting to have what one was used to in another DAW regardless of efficiency. Meaning that efficiency is muscle memory of something previously learned which any person will be frustrated with at first.

Also, the new hotness is to do a boatload of takes, then create 75 slice and dice comped versions of those takes trying to somehow assemble some 'perfect' result. Many here don't have a choice in that process as paying clients have been trained to want this and are paying the mixer/engineer to do it - whaddaya gonna do?

Personally, I think that just homogenizes music to be even more boring but that's been occurring for decades at this point and it surely isn't going to change anytime soon. Eventually, we'll get enough AI going on that most mixers here won't even be needed any longer

All that said, the takes system is what one makes of it, but... based on who's paying them to do what. There are a huge number of us who do sufficiently complex projects and have no problems; but we are not under the same proverbial editing gun others might be. Those under it or needing that, need a lot of those comp/take features.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:20 PM   #19
Coachz

Here's a couple vids on how nice quick swiping is. Would love it.

Coder challenge anyone?

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=13
Old 08-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #20
vanceen

After using Reaper for three or four years now (after 25 years with Cakewalk/SONAR), my view on takes is somewhere between the first two posts on this thread.

No, it's not ridiculously bad, but it's also not OK.

The split issue is one thing. Another is that even if you delete a take, you're still left with an item that has an empty space where the take was. And if I record multiple takes of a long section and then go back to do some extras on a short section within that, I usually end up with a colossal mess. I've gotten into the habit of exploding takes into tracks, getting rid of excess crud, then imploding them back into takes on a single track.

Reaper is superb. I can't think of anything else I don't like about it. But multiple takes and comping are a big part of what I do with a DAW, and Reaper's system is just not good enough. Yet!
Old 08-03-2021, 01:47 PM   #21
vanceen

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
...Also, the new hotness is to do a boatload of takes, then create 75 slice and dice comped versions of those takes trying to somehow assemble some 'perfect' result. Many here don't have a choice in that process as paying clients have been trained to want this and are paying the mixer/engineer to do it - whaddaya gonna do?

Personally, I think that just homogenizes music to be even more boring but that's been occurring for decades at this point and it surely isn't going to change anytime soon....
I start with the disclaimer that I see you as one of the most knowledgable posters on this board, and your posts have helped me out many times.

But I disagree with the view that comping a lot of takes "homogenizes" music.

My singing ability is such that I usually do about five takes and select the phrases that are the best, in terms of technical quality but also, very much, on the emotional power of the performance. When I do that, I end up with a performance that is much better than any of the individual takes, not only technically but musically.

If I was recording Paul Rogers, I would do the same thing. There are probably some performers out there who can give it their best in one go. There are probably a few more who can produce a good end to end take after several tries. Being able to pick and choose the best portions of multiple takes means that a quality performance is still easier to put together.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:03 PM   #22
EpicSounds

Quote:

kinda hard to do this when recording a full band, even a full drum kit would be awkward to drag up and down across 16 tracks after each take.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #23
Abraham Liftin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
kinda hard to do this when recording a full band, even a full drum kit would be awkward to drag up and down across 16 tracks after each take.
You're probably right about recording a full band. But I do it with my drum tracks. Yes, dragging across 9 tracks (for me) is the least appealing thing about doing it this way, but it woks for me. I think the fact that I'm a drummer helps. I do most of my tracks in one take. 1 or 2 punch-ins at the most.

But I can see how this might not work for many/most people, though.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #24
Glennbo

Quote:
I'm a drummer helps. I do most of my tracks in one take. 1 or 2 punch-ins at the most.
That's the way I roll. Drums I record in one take after everything else has been recorded. Guitars, bass and keys I punch in as I write the parts, recording a bit, then figuring out what I want the next bit to do, so a guitar or bass track for me might be four or five punch ins. Each one being a section just written then recorded.

I disabled the native take system in REAPER and have it set so I can use one track for a part, punch in a measure before I need to start playing, but be playing along with the previous section so the transition has continuity. I either like what I played or I play it again. All media items play on my tracks and free item positioning is enabled.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #25
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
I start with the disclaimer that I see you as one of the most knowledgable posters on this board, and your posts have helped me out many times.

But I disagree with the view that comping a lot of takes "homogenizes" music.

My singing ability is such that I usually do about five takes and select the phrases that are the best, in terms of technical quality but also, very much, on the emotional power of the performance. When I do that, I end up with a performance that is much better than any of the individual takes, not only technically but musically.

If I was recording Paul Rogers, I would do the same thing. There are probably some performers out there who can give it their best in one go. There are probably a few more who can produce a good end to end take after several tries. Being able to pick and choose the best portions of multiple takes means that a quality performance is still easier to put together.
That's a fair point but I see some doing it in an excessive manner - I'm not talking about you or I doing multiple takes. I don't mean get the good bits of a few takes either, that's normal. All, I was saying is this habit of doing 50 takes with 50 comps, that is becoming homogenous. It is by definition. I have no beef with multiple takes and have my own projects to prove it.

That said though, Paul Rogers probably isn't a good example IMHO as their first album (bad company recorded at Headley Grange) IIRC, a number of his vocals are one take - I don't mean no overdubs, I mean one take /done - I'm sure he can do that now, I just mentioned that one from hearing about it. He's that good but the irony is, I know plenty now whom I work with even casually that can do that in one or a few takes and without being superhuman rock stars. This isn't that rare really and at the same time I'm not pointing fingers at anyone.

Take care!

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-03-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #26
Coachz

Quote:
That's a fair point but I see some doing it in an excessive manner - I'm not talking about you or I doing multiple takes. I don't mean get the good bits of a few takes either, that's normal. All, I was saying is this habit of doing 50 takes with 50 comps, that is becoming homogenous. It is by definition. I have no beef with multiple takes and have my own projects to prove it.

That said though, Paul Rogers probably isn't a good example IMHO as their first album (bad company recorded at Headley Grange) IIRC, a number of his vocals are one take - I don't mean no overdubs, I mean one take /done - I'm sure he can do that now, I just mentioned that one from knowing about it. He's that good but the irony is, I know plenty now whom I work with even casually that can do that in one or a few takes and without being superhuman rock stars. This isn't that rare really and at the same time I'm not pointing fingers at anyone.

Take care!
The guitar solo on fire and knives of my bounce album below was from 6 different solos.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #27
karbomusic

Quote:
The guitar solo on fire and knives of my bounce album below was from 6 different solos.
The homogeny in that solo isn't due to 6 takes It's great playing but there is nothing interesting that hasn't been done 1 million times already starting in the early 70s. I'm stuck in the exact same trap much of the time, so this isn't a comment from an ivory tower I promise. I also don't think six solos fits excessive manner, however...

It was just an observation as to why the takes system works perfectly great for some and not so much for others with a side of personal opinion thrown in to spice things up. I didn't intend for it to get too far into the weeds.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-03-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #28
Coachz

Quote:
The homogeny in that solo isn't due to 6 takes It's great playing but there is nothing interesting that hasn't been done 1 million times already starting in the early 70s. I'm stuck in the exact same trap much of the time, so this isn't a comment from an ivory tower I promise. I also don't think six solos fits excessive manner, however...

It was just an observation as to why the takes system works perfectly great for some and not so much for others with a side of personal opinion thrown in to spice things up. I didn't intend for it to get too far into the weeds.
Yeah but we did it a million and 1 times an I do find it interesting too
Old 08-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #29
Glennbo

Quote:
The greatest guitar solo of all times was done in two takes.

Old 08-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #30
karbomusic

Quote:
Yeah but we did it a million and 1 times an I do find it interesting too
Then your mission was accomplished. There is also a difference between improvising takes as a creative tool vs doing 50 takes and 50 comps of the exact same chorus for example, trying to achieve some pie in the sky perfection. I was really talking about the latter, not the former. We shouldn't dwell on this though, it isn't that important, especially for this thread - bigger fish to fry than my one-off opinion.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #31
Glennbo

Quote:
Then your mission was accomplished. There is also a difference between improvising takes as a creative tool vs doing 50 takes and 50 comps of the exact same chorus for example, trying to achieve some pie in the sky perfection. I was really talking about the latter, not the former. We shouldn't dwell on this though, it isn't that important, especially for this thread - bigger fish to fry than my one-off opinion.
The guitarist playing the solos of the second song on my music site used to be the guy who would do a bunch of takes on tape, hit a really great one, and then say "give me another shot at it, I think I can do it better".

I learned to spot the take, because he would keep trying and lose the moment trying to get one just a little better. With one inch tape, there was no undo back to the one that was really great.

Even though I am working in the digital domain now, when I have other people playing here in my studio, I'll stop them when I hear a great take and say, "okay we're done here, lets move on", and exactly what was played is what ends up on the song.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #32
Cosmic Pig

Quote:
True, yet kinda the point. The title of this thread is a bit derogatory and maybe getting rid of splits might be good... or not. My suspicious little mind is always thinking people do these type threads to get a rise out of people, if not out and out hired by protools to go fuck with other daws. So I tend to flap and foam on cue and feel resentful about it lol.

My guitar solos go crap-crap-crap-genius-crap-crap etc. so comping the genius bits together is a good thing. On this simple solo I had 12 solo tracks to comp and it was easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jywNPU4oiSA I even grabbed a bit from way down and slip edited it in.

Hencely, comping in Reaper is fine, unless music is secondary to drivel. Then it's all about that daw, bout that daw, bout that daw, not music.

Sorry for everything.

BTW the song is a client's. I did everything except vocals, lyrics, and melody. btw solo comes in @2:17

Last edited by Cosmic Pig; 08-03-2021 at 05:58 PM. Reason: btw solo comes in @2:17
Old 08-03-2021, 06:22 PM   #33
karbomusic

Quote:
True, yet kinda the point. The title of this thread is a bit derogatory and maybe getting rid of splits might be good... or not.
That depends on a lot of variables IMHO. I've never had an issue with the splitting, I actually prefer them in every way over disjointed/separated takes and have always thought Justin was way ahead of the game with that design - but with all the other DAWs and people coming from those and being so used to them, it is very difficult to get most to take a deep breath and find the value. The separated takes are just too ingrained.

^To be clear... This is not talking about comping et al, just the idea of containerized takes with splits and working with them. There are many valid asks in that department in my opinion.

Quote:
My suspicious little mind is always thinking people do these type threads to get a rise out of people, if not out and out hired by protools to go fuck with other daws. So I tend to flap and foam on cue and feel resentful about it lol.
Tbh, people get used to what they are used to and are naturally resistant to change - myself included. Then many are just venting based on that frustration. I don't blame anyone for that though I do tire of someone constantly asking for a complete rewrite to fit their expectations for years. I could never do that, I'd just use the DAW that has the take system I'm comparing reaper to.

Quote:
BTW the song is a client's. I did everything except vocals, lyrics, and melody.
I dug the solo, nice job and cool tune. For contrast and off topic for no other reason than several of us just hanging out and sharing. All the "solo sounding" parts in the video below is the only time it happened, meaning the 'tape' was rolling, I played what came from my subconscious and that's the only take in existence. Actually, every track on that song is a one-take improv of some sort with the exception of the vocal and pad-played midi drums because I was writing lyrics and punching in vocal takes as I went...

It's still just the demo/idea track with some rough mixin', I haven't went back and rerecorded yet because I want my band to record it, hence the chord changes on the video LOL.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread, it's not often I feel like talking so much.

Old 08-03-2021, 07:51 PM   #34
DogBBQ

Like I mentioned on the thread about automation

If Reaper can't do what you need drop it

If Reapers takes are eating into your profits or ruining your creativity then it's time to move on not post another takes sucks or automation is horribly thread
Old 08-03-2021, 08:37 PM   #35
Cosmic Pig

Quote:

It's still just the demo/idea track with some rough mixin', I haven't went back and rerecorded yet because I want my band to record it, hence the chord changes on the video LOL.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread, it's not often I feel like talking so much.

Nice chops and I digs the guitar tones.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:49 AM   #36
Coachz

Quote:
True, yet kinda the point. The title of this thread is a bit derogatory and maybe getting rid of splits might be good... or not. My suspicious little mind is always thinking people do these type threads to get a rise out of people, if not out and out hired by protools to go fuck with other daws. So I tend to flap and foam on cue and feel resentful about it lol.

My guitar solos go crap-crap-crap-genius-crap-crap etc. so comping the genius bits together is a good thing. On this simple solo I had 12 solo tracks to comp and it was easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jywNPU4oiSA I even grabbed a bit from way down and slip edited it in.

Hencely, comping in Reaper is fine, unless music is secondary to drivel. Then it's all about that daw, bout that daw, bout that daw, not music.

Sorry for everything.

BTW the song is a client's. I did everything except vocals, lyrics, and melody. btw solo comes in @2:17
Comping takes may be fine for you but quick swiping would make comping WAY better for me. If you are not familiar with it check this out.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:54 AM   #37
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBBQ View Post
Like I mentioned on the thread about automation

If Reaper can't do what you need drop it

If Reapers takes are eating into your profits or ruining your creativity then it's time to move on not post another takes sucks or automation is horribly thread
Maybe he loves Reaper, has great success with Reaper but takes need improvement for his workflow. I am in that camp. Quick swipes would be great and maybe a coder can come up with the code to do it.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:17 AM   #38
coolbass

Quote:

I dug the solo, nice job and cool tune. For contrast and off topic for no other reason than several of us just hanging out and sharing. All the "solo sounding" parts in the video below is the only time it happened, meaning the 'tape' was rolling, I played what came from my subconscious and that's the only take in existence. Actually, every track on that song is a one-take improv of some sort with the exception of the vocal and pad-played midi drums because I was writing lyrics and punching in vocal takes as I went...

Nice!
Old 08-04-2021, 10:16 AM   #39
poetnprophet

Cakewalk had a sort of version of the "quick swipe" or something like it and it was very confusing to me, coming from their previous version that was more "standard"...whatever that means.

Whenever these threads come up, I never hear mentioned about using the recording modes, specifically altering between Rec Normal and Rec selected items, as well as the different take modes and how to set them. Getting this right, with a tiny bit of forethought and an appropriate amount of quality control, will absolutely change the way you use takes and probably for the better...

I may try to do a demo video of how useful the system is the way I use it every day, for myself and for the myriad of artists I record, all with different styles and needs...
Old 08-04-2021, 11:25 AM   #40
Cosmic Pig

Quote:
Comping takes may be fine for you but quick swiping would make comping WAY better for me. If you are not familiar with it check this out.

I watched the vid and didn't see how quick swipe would make much difference, except you have a nice neat track of your work at the top. I sorta suspect it's no different really, just what you're used to as Karbo mentioned.

It does appear to be a bit less messy, and I dug the big take number text box. I suppose slip editing would be a hair easier to visualize, like moving the whole or part take rather than the inside of the track.

but really, if Reaper came up with it I probably wouldn't use it because I hate learning new things and I can whip around the lane system no probs.