Old 09-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
albertxxxx
Human being with feelings

Default Albert-c :: MOCKUPS ::

ANULED

Last edited by albertxxxx; 04-25-2013 at 10:21 AM.
albertxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
hopi

looks beautiful so far Albert...

I always wonder why the word 'CUT' is used instead of 'MUTE'

I can see a logic in WT's original in that maybe MUTE is just a little too long...

any thoughts?

Personally I'd rather see MUTE
Old 09-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Sigilus

love the knobs
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
albertxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
looks beautiful so far Albert...

I always wonder why the word 'CUT' is used instead of 'MUTE'

I can see a logic in WT's original in that maybe MUTE is just a little too long...

any thoughts?

Personally I'd rather see MUTE

only is a mockup
Old 09-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
BobM

Hi Albert,

It would be great if you could create a theme scaled to a smaller laptop screen.

Thanks,

BobM.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Hi Albert,

It would be great if you could create a theme scaled to a smaller laptop screen.

Thanks,

BobM.
oh and while yer at it, how about an iPhone screen too... [just kidding of course]

[IMG]http://img836.**************/img836/5192/iphonereaper.png[/IMG]

Last edited by hopi; 09-06-2012 at 01:12 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
albertxxxx

update
Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
pyerbass

héhé "Rea evoltion 2 will be my last reaper theme" you said I knew it! you don't quit theming, we will theme in our grave!
pyerbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
albertxxxx

hahaha
Old 09-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
nickmoritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyerbass View Post
héhé "Rea evoltion 2 will be my last reaper theme" you said I knew it! you don't quit theming, we will theme in our grave!
I think it's like a drug
Old 09-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
albertxxxx

worse ....NICK ...what font you use in reaborn?

Last edited by albertxxxx; 09-06-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
vStyler

Its even more of a drug when you actually make money doing what u love.

Love it Albert.. specially the knobage...

except.... the pink inactive record buttons..

I suggest a deep, dark red.. which is bright on active.

Maybe ill draw one up..

My Rado - VOX theme - http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91884
vStyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
albertxxxx

yes ..... I do not like either
Old 09-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
hopi

nice knobman work... one other thought.. the little ring of lights might be nicer on the eyes and also easier to read if they were a green color. Just my taste thing...

Now of course in knobman it's not too hard to make those lights be one color on the left side and a different color on the right side [left and right of zero is what I mean]

Perhaps themers will also start sharing their knobman files, and that way others can easily mod the little stuff to taste.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
vStyler

Quote:

Perhaps themers will also start sharing their knobman files, and that way others can easily mod the little stuff to taste.
As long as they don't start sharing their.. knobs.. I'm good

By the way, I also vote for MUTE..

Or... Vaporize, Deaden or KILL...

My Rado - VOX theme - http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91884
vStyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
compasspnt

KILL is nice.

Or maybe...

CURB, DEADEN, MUFFLE, ABATE, INCAPACITATE, QUIETEN, or maybe the very best of all...HUSH.
compasspnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #17
James HE

MUTE Please

I think a lot of folks will disagree, but I'd prefer FX instead of inserts.

And please make it work on small screens! all these big layouts are just... *yawn*.... starting to look the same.

The most incredible thing about Walter is it's ability to show / hide elements as things are resized. Aside from the default, no one has really taken advantage of that. (at least not in a logical, useable way)

If you can't make it work well on smaller screens, a good theme it is not!

/Gauntlet Thrown!

James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #18
rhythmtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post

definitly disagree. insert points are for more than just fx.
rhythmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #19
sapristico

Yeeeeah! Alberto...I have to say, in my own taste and opinion: the best that you've done!

I know, I know; your Reavolution is quite better and finished...but I prefer this way! I have to take a look to the TCPs...(and I discovered yesterday that someone else thinks like me in the matter of TCP!:reavito...that obviously, is the Rado old concept with some new looks mainly based in WT Default, and vertical minimeters...)

(I will continue in english, but, maybe with clarifications or slang in spanish....sorry people)

I think that I have decided to "darte del todo la coña" definetely here and ask for possibilities or "the perfect way" for my idoneous Theme..."for if the flies"...hahahaha (just in case).

I´m a complete dumb in modificating themes, far beyond of changing some positions or graphs, or copying or adapting some layouts and RTF lines...
I have spent hours trying to do some complex things, and finally I'm near to give up totally. Mainly I was based in Rado V.3 concepts, the new V.4 Default theme and some stuff of another new themes like yours.

This kind of mixer channels are more in the modern-tasty way, with the new looks in some cases, but more neodigital-computer useful looks and use of space, etc IMO. I like that.

Personally, I said it other times...one of the best aesthetical concepts was in Rado V.3.

I don´t understand, for example why anyone later have tried the kind of round 3D lighting buttons, like de REC or Monitor in it...those for me are one of the best ideas...(with the new improved looks of some volumetric buttons, but not vintage, really a hardware appearance but for the digital era and visual pannels in soft artistic agreement...it´s really a quite good option IMO)

"With a flying pen" about your mockups here...my bullshit talk or own opinions and whims, desires?:

1) I would prefer the Solo-Mute (for me "mute" is preferred too), at the top of the low panel (requires to cut only a bit the fader-meter), in paralel and in yellow and red...with that kind of lighting pushed button look that permits to take a look and see Everything...Maybe near the phase button too?
And as I said, I prefer round-lighting buttons for phase, monitor and Record (located in the same area...down the panel is perfect) too, and with symbol inside the button.
But anyway, I can give a try to your buttons that are quite good anyway. And obviously, changing them in general is something that I know how to do...hehe.

2) The meter vs the fader, is one of the critical points with a lot of new themes, and mainly with the thin layouts. I love the simple black meters, interlaced and in classic green-yellow-orange+Red progression, and yours here are perfect to adapt to thick or thin channels. I would add numbers in the meter (I guess that is ongoing)...and if the fader real position match with this numbers...then layout is Perfect, and you only need numbers inside the meter, and everythings is fixed at the first sight and moving fader by this reference is the better modern PC data option IMO.

3) Related with this, I have a personal headache issue with the possibility of changing size of preassignated areas in mixer channel for FX and sends (all the concepts in RTF files about anchors, and other parameters that determines these areas and etc...make me going crazy.
I would love using those spaces for example for the meter in the thinner layouts...I like your option here for default layout, but with thin layouts, maybe it would be useful a meter like in your Reavolution, in the top of the channel and only it, maybe with some vertical options for send-receive, or other buttons that are down in the default layer. Finding enough space for all the buttons and so, is maybe the challenge, not with the size of the "compact" layer in Default theme, but thinking in thinner options even...completely vertical thought layouts.
So, that's why I would adjust the panel parts for panning, Send-Receives and FX indicators...optimizing for thin layers, and would like to know, if its possible, a basic tutorial about configuring the spaces from half of the channel to the top (usually divided and adjustable for FX and Sends or FX parameters if you apply). It's really useful the behavior of mix channel pannels in Default theme...when you resize the areas of pannel, FX and sends...and tick to the top, or fader and meter stretches perfectly...The same behavior with the meter at the top (I think in Reavolution this happens quite well too), is perfect.

4) Another point about layouts. Most of people doing new layouts have discarded the biggest ones in Default theme....with long meters and mainly with huge size for FX and send receive lines...and I think that they are useful as the colured faders are...

5) About aesthetics in your base mix layout distribution:
5.1.- For me, the lighter option of down panel, so clear silver, is a bad option to difference the selected and not selected. I would prefer the kinda grey you have chosen for the buttons frame down the panel, and that light silver for selected channel.
Even more...I consider also a good idea the lighting fader line (like Imperial, but not in yellow), and I usually prefer the all channel light frame in selected channel...like a thin but visible line of that light silver, surrounding all the channel shape.
5.2.- Sends-receive written indicators, better lighting in green and red...or something so similar (I'm sure that your green and red would be more elegant and softer than mine, but looking like lighting really.
5.3.- Button/indicator for FX Inserts, for me it´s better in the way of the Default and similar...Buttons for FX and bypass...coupled, and with nice activation 3D graphics, and neutral-green letters-green button visual idea too (lighting Red in deactivated state...or even yellow when you bypass the FX manually? I think that this is not allowed in the inserts general indicator).
5.4.- I like the location for your IN FX button (maybe with the orange lines in green too), and making that FX letters a kind of led lighting indicator too...?
5.5.- I like the location of IN button so, maybe an icon with a little piano and mic would be perfect and everybody would use it for sure. But I'm gonna miss the classical horizontal black strap for reading which IN Source is selected (maybe with some solution similar to the one that you seem have been proposed for automation...is good.
5.6.- Although, personally I think that for automation in mixer sometimes simple but obvious little icons like originals in Rado V.3 or Rea with the standard color set (grey-normal, green-read, red-write, yellow-touch and purple (why not simply a nice blue?)-latch are enough and save a lot of space for manage other solutions in the grey area of the panel...(mainly when you will try to put the meter up there)...
5.7.- Related with this, about Pan Schemes...I usually prefer the double fader configuration, but obviously the better is having 3-4 layers with one big, two normal, one bigger that the other knobs (Your knob concept and look here is Awesome), and the double fader option too...I guess that in this case, it requires different mcp basic design, cause I deducted that the black strap for pan info is designed over the panel design…and it would be necessary changing it (or using 2 of them, even), depending on the pan option you choose. Maybe modifying those 4 mcps is a pain in the neck.
5.8.- I like that black strap all down for track idx in white and red (rec), and a lot of space to folder configs appearance… and the one separating (I guess it is the one for mcp name...) from the top grey part of channel.
I perceive some effect of 3D dominance in the foreground of upper part over the light silver down part...the dark grey panels seem to have more setoff that the lighter silver part…maybe is visual effect of colors.
I think that the Gain-Master black glow panel can let a precious space free for other staff…and mainly I think that it would be perfect at the top too…surely thinking in thin mcps with the meter directly above this panel.
Ok….I stop my twisting and bullshit here…It´s only a kind of sharing of opinions, just in case some ideas can be reflected or taken into account to improve some of this astonishing designs you are making…I’m very grateful and comforted because of this new choice more in my path that I´m gonna have…THANK U Alberto! De mayor quiero ser como tú.
sapristico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #20
sapristico

Quote:
MUTE Please

And please make it work on small screens! all these big layouts are just... *yawn*.... starting to look the same.

The most incredible thing about Walter is it's ability to show / hide elements as things are resized. Aside from the default, no one has really taken advantage of that. (at least not in a logical, useable way)

/Gauntlet Thrown!

+ 100000
sapristico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:09 AM   #21
nickmoritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertxxxx View Post
worse ....NICK ...what font you use in reaborn?
These http://p.yusukekamiyamane.com/fonts/ (Tempesta)
Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
hopi

I prefer FX as well, but then we have also Input FX, right?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #23
krahosk

Quote:
MUTE Please

/Gauntlet Thrown!

Definitely +1; what revelation it was with RADO as you could resize the TCP to form a single narrow vertical row of buttons.
krahosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #24
Sound asleep

love the look and feel.

i second the motion for maybe somehow making it less tall. i've always liked the idea of having track names up near where icons are, which both don't seem to appear in your mockup.

love the leds around the pan knobs, but for pan, i think it might be cooler if you had them off at center, and light up away from center as you pan left, or right. so the most lit up they could be would be only half.

i really like it though. if it could satisfy all my needs then definitely this would be my go to theme. very nice. i would also prefer mute over cut.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #25
Sigilus

Quote:
nice knobman work... one other thought.. the little ring of lights might be nicer on the eyes and also easier to read if they were a green color. Just my taste thing...

Now of course in knobman it's not too hard to make those lights be one color on the left side and a different color on the right side [left and right of zero is what I mean]

No, orange is a great choice.
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #26
benf

Albert,
As usual, I like a lot your theme.
Just one thing the way you enlight your leds on the pan knobs seem strange to me.
They should all lit when the pan is on '0' position, light off progressively on the right side as you go further on the left and vice-cersa for the other side.
This way, the leds will indicate where your sound is supposed to be panned.
But I don't know if this is possible to do.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
Albert,
Just one thing the way you enlight your leds on the pan knobs seem strange to me.
They should all lit when the pan is on '0' position, light off progressively on the right side as you go further on the left and vice-cersa for the other side.
I can say that it is a good thought is possile in knobman to make a png knob that does this... and as I also suggested it's possible to have the colors be diff for each side.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #28
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
Albert,
i think i prefer lighting as you turn, because it is a better and faster indicator to me that something is panned, and in which way. if it darkens out, it's not as good of an indicator to me.

it has better "cool factor" i guess. it looks more cool to see all the lights lit. but for me i'm not concerned with coolness of my daw really. just something useful and nice to look at while i work.

@hopi.

not a big fan of the two colors. to me, a good theme is simple, uncluttered, clean, few colors. a main 2 or 3 tone color scheme, with only different colors for say the pan lights, and meters, and rec arm, and mute. so that those things pop out. but even at that, the least necessary.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #29
-R-

I think Solaris is going to be a HIT!
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #30
albertxxxx

SOLARIS PRO ..... in progress
Old 09-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #31
dood2112

Saweeeeeeeeeet !!!!!

It just keeps getting better.
Do what you wanna, do what you will, Just don't mess up your neighbor's thrill, 'N when you pay the bill, kindly leave a little tip, And help the next poor sucker on his one way trip. ~ Frank Zappa, "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing"
dood2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #32
albertxxxx

UPDATE (SOLARIS PRO is more narrow, compact and simple...) IS INCOMPLETE

Last edited by albertxxxx; 09-10-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #33
jonbash

Lookin' good! Excited to see what you come up with for the TCP.
jonbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #34
Rick Welin

To all themers: One thing I REALLY would like to see on all themes is channel numbers at the top of the channel strip in MCP view, as well as near or at the bottom. This was driving me nuts the other day on Imperial.
Rick Welin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #35
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Welin View Post
To all themers: One thing I REALLY would like to see on all themes is channel numbers at the top of the channel strip in MCP view, as well as near or at the bottom. This was driving me nuts the other day on Imperial.
numbers are not specifically useful to me personally, but i would love track names up there, right under the icons.

icons, and number and track names are identifiers for tracks. i don't know why they spread them all around all over the place in most themes.

if i have the icons and the names, and everything at the top, then i can see what track i want, and select it, and then do whatever it is i want to do. or just go straight into the FX too.

whenever i access FX it's always through mcp. if i'm in tcp and i want FX, i bring up mixer full screen, and access the FX that way. because of that, finding the track i want quickly, is important to me.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #36
albertxxxx

The number of tracks will be next to gain info

update

Last edited by albertxxxx; 09-11-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #37
Sound asleep

Quote:
The number of tracks will be next to gain info

update
i don't know if i can see a difference between those. but i'm slightly colorblind too, but still, it must be real subtle i think.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #38
albertxxxx

I do not know, I guess I'll go testing
Old 09-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #39
hopi

NICE progress Albert... lean and mean and clean
Old 09-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #40
nickmoritz

Quote:
[/CENTER]
I think I saw it somewhere

Nice mixer!

UPD: My suggestions are:
- swap the positions of the fader and meter (when you will change a volume the tooltip will overlay the meter)
- make a black dividers between mixer strips in the bottom part of the MCP more visible (like in the top)
- swap the positions of the mute and solo buttons (it will be much comfortable as for me)

Anyway it's only my opinion so you can ignore it

Last edited by nickmoritz; 09-13-2012 at 11:28 AM.
nickmoritz is offline   Reply With Quote