Old 06-11-2022, 03:46 AM   #1
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default New Song 'Crash & Burn'

Hi all,

I've just uploaded my latest song to my bandcamp if anyone wants to dip in for a listen.

https://instantdismissal.bandcamp.com/track/crash-burn

ATB

Tim
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:16 AM   #2
Pashkuli
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Kingdom, T. Wells
Posts: 2,454
Default

Right form the start I can tell the guitar's sound is a digital amp sim.
The harsh "hishhhh" is there.

Bass and kick are ok. Toms could be better. Maybe the kick has too much sub-lows.

The song reminds me of a mid\late 90s Foo Fighters.
I call it "college rock" style.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:53 AM   #3
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashkuli View Post
Right form the start I can tell the guitar's sound is a digital amp sim.
The harsh "hishhhh" is there.

Bass and kick are ok. Toms could be better. Maybe the kick has too much sub-lows.

The song reminds me of a mid\late 90s Foo Fighters.
I call it "college rock" style.
Sorry man but you're off on this one - that's an old school 5150 through a Mesa cab via an akg xls, admittedly there is a bit of hiss on the intro but I kinda just went with it.


Cheers for commenting though!
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:46 PM   #4
maxdembo
Human being with feelings
 
maxdembo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: All Hallows End
Posts: 1,946
Default

There must be some mistake. Pash cannot be wrong!?
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:59 AM   #5
Pashkuli
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Kingdom, T. Wells
Posts: 2,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw1979 View Post
Sorry man but you're off on this one - that's an old school 5150 through a Mesa cab via an akg xls, admittedly there is a bit of hiss on the intro but I kinda just went with it.


Cheers for commenting though!
Then it is probably some quite noisy fx chain or pickups.
Sound really amp-sim alike.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 04:03 AM   #6
Pashkuli
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Kingdom, T. Wells
Posts: 2,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
There must be some mistake. Pash cannot be wrong!?
Of course I can be wrong in my assumption or first impression.
Also, nothing says that using real amps and analogue fx will always sound better than <other method\process> of creating a sound.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 04:11 AM   #7
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashkuli View Post
Then it is probably some quite noisy fx chain or pickups.
Sound really amp-sim alike.

Possibly my duo sonic that I used, it has single coils
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:26 AM   #8
Pashkuli
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Kingdom, T. Wells
Posts: 2,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw1979 View Post
Possibly my duo sonic that I used, it has single coils
Those guitars need rea-amping.
Have you got the DIs?

I checked some of the other songs on your Bandcamp profile and those guitars (some crunched\heavy)
sounded quite good, compared to the one above.
Please, tell me you have recorded DIs.

Are you fan of Quicksand (USA) by any chance?

Last edited by Pashkuli; 06-12-2022 at 07:41 AM.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:45 AM   #9
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashkuli View Post
Those guitars need rea-amping.
Have you got the DIs?

I checked some of the other songs on your Bandcamp profile and those guitars (some crunched\heavy)
sounded quite good, compared to the one above.
Please, tell me you have recorded DIs.

Are you fan of Quicksand (USA) by any chance?
Yea I've still got the DI tracks, time less so. But yeah I'll have a look when I get a chance!

Yeah I've been into quicksand and most of Walters output since Manic Compression, first album is cool as well but just missed that at the time.

Last edited by tjw1979; 06-12-2022 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:07 AM   #10
Pashkuli
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Kingdom, T. Wells
Posts: 2,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw1979 View Post
Yea I've still got the DI tracks, time less so. But yeah I'll have a look when I get a chance!

Yeah I've been into quicksand and most of Walters output since Manic Compression, first album is cool as well but just missed that at the time.
You can upload stems\multi-tracks\DI as well on Bandcamp.
Recently, I bought the multi-tracks of The Midnight "Monsters" and "Endless Summer" (the whole albums, 13 songs 5GB flac, 8+GB .wav) for like £18.

Upload the song for remix, I will buy the multi-tracks (kick, snare, overheads, DI guitars, Bass, vocal, doubles, etc. as you have mixed it, all processing baked in, except guitars; no Master FX) and attempt a re-amp, remix. Will be a good exercise\pseudo-collab

Last edited by Pashkuli; 06-12-2022 at 11:17 AM.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:01 PM   #11
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashkuli View Post
You can upload stems\multi-tracks\DI as well on Bandcamp.
Recently, I bought the multi-tracks of The Midnight "Monsters" and "Endless Summer" (the whole albums, 13 songs 5GB flac, 8+GB .wav) for like £18.

Upload the song for remix, I will buy the multi-tracks (kick, snare, overheads, DI guitars, Bass, vocal, doubles, etc. as you have mixed it, all processing baked in, except guitars; no Master FX) and attempt a re-amp, remix. Will be a good exercise\pseudo-collab

I'll give it a go this week when I get a chance. I wouldnt want any cash. I may have a go at retracking the guitars myself as well. I've notched the guitars and lpf quite deep but the hiss is pretty broadband
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:18 PM   #12
Pashkuli
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Kingdom, T. Wells
Posts: 2,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw1979 View Post
I wouldn't want any cash.
Ok, leave it at 'name your price'. It is up to you.

I see tree sections of guitar sound change, some phaser\flanger as a bridge before 'the drop' maybe and then the chorused "Van Halen" riff after the drop. Maybe just FX on top of main sound (but seem different).
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:24 AM   #13
smueske
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,317
Default

I really dig this track! Really fun and spacious.

Mix-wise, I think the snare and main vocal can be raised in volume. I like all of the individual sounds, but the bass drum, which sounds great, is just a touch too loud.

Anyway, enjoyed this muchly. Listened to it twice. Lots of energy and a great vibe!
__________________
Steve
https://muesk.bandcamp.com/releases
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:58 AM   #14
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default

Aww thank you man. I will take your points on board and add them to the remix to do list
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:03 AM   #15
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smueske View Post
I really dig this track! Really fun and spacious.

Mix-wise, I think the snare and main vocal can be raised in volume. I like all of the individual sounds, but the bass drum, which sounds great, is just a touch too loud.

Anyway, enjoyed this muchly. Listened to it twice. Lots of energy and a great vibe!

Dropped in on your bandcanp for a listen. Really good stuff man some great atmospheres going on in your tunes. I like that a lot
Machine love is especially good love that wonky electric guitar vibe and the snarling bubbly synth work!!

Last edited by tjw1979; 06-13-2022 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Updated
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:47 PM   #16
Jopame
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: South Germany
Posts: 31
Default great song

Listened to the song several times. And I was curious about your other songs. Also had a listen on all your other tracks.
In general - my taste - I would raise the snare a bit and give it more punch. The kick sounds just right for me.
Vocals is too quiet and not prominent enough.
I have the impression that your guitar sound is low-passed at 2kHz (maybe I'm completely wrong, but I do have this impression). Maybe you had the mic far off-axis when recording? The guitar sound is full of unpleasant noise, which I don't like.
And: put the ReaTune on your vocal track. Your voice is sometimes a bit off, rather flat than sharp. It does sound not professionally when the voice is not tight on the note where it should be (this is meant mainly for your 5 other tracks).
Ah, nearly forgot: great song. And puuh, 6 songs within a few weeks. Lot of work
__________________
Servus, Jopame
Jopame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:15 PM   #17
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopame View Post
Listened to the song several times. And I was curious about your other songs. Also had a listen on all your other tracks.
In general - my taste - I would raise the snare a bit and give it more punch. The kick sounds just right for me.
Vocals is too quiet and not prominent enough.
I have the impression that your guitar sound is low-passed at 2kHz (maybe I'm completely wrong, but I do have this impression). Maybe you had the mic far off-axis when recording? The guitar sound is full of unpleasant noise, which I don't like.
And: put the ReaTune on your vocal track. Your voice is sometimes a bit off, rather flat than sharp. It does sound not professionally when the voice is not tight on the note where it should be (this is meant mainly for your 5 other tracks).
Ah, nearly forgot: great song. And puuh, 6 songs within a few weeks. Lot of work
Thank you for listening and commenting!

I've added your comments to the 'to do' list

With this track I low passed at just over 5k as I had some broadband noise,for me it's only particularly evident on the intro wher it's just guitar. To remedy it I would have to retrack the guitars. Unfortunately do do that I would have to rely on an amp sim (I borrowed an amp for a couple of hours, which was a logistical nightmare, not to mention too loud for my family) I recorded the guitar in a separate bedroom which wasn't ideal.


I'm not too hung up on using reatune if I'm totally honest - I prefer to just sing naturally and am not too bothered if things don't sound 100% polished in that domain. I use music as a tool of expression and tend to just get things out and recorded naturally.

I have been quite prolific musically this last year. I get an idea and start building straight away without too much thought about it. I'm already two songs deep since finishing this one. I don't know where I find the time though as I am exceptionally busy with work and family life

Thank you so much for dropping in for a listen and comment I appreciate it
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:18 PM   #18
fHumble fHingaz
Human being with feelings
 
fHumble fHingaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 178
Default

Really excellent track - I enjoyed it. Just listening on my speakers at work, so I don't have anything detailed in terms of critique to give... just wanted to say that I really enjoy your melodies and songcraft.
__________________
My music here:
https://open.spotify.com/artist/0oP9...Ww&dl_branch=1
fHumble fHingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:28 AM   #19
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fHumble fHingaz View Post
Really excellent track - I enjoyed it. Just listening on my speakers at work, so I don't have anything detailed in terms of critique to give... just wanted to say that I really enjoy your melodies and songcraft.
Thanks a lot FF I appreciate it, and cheers for dipping in and having a listen
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:12 AM   #20
djwaterman
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 6
Default

Pretty impactful performance wise, high energy. Giving a song up for review to people who mix is always different to people who just like music, I used to post artwork on 3D forums, everyone wants to tell you to do this or that, but actually this is it, it's done, take it or leave it.
djwaterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:34 AM   #21
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
Pretty impactful performance wise, high energy. Giving a song up for review to people who mix is always different to people who just like music, I used to post artwork on 3D forums, everyone wants to tell you to do this or that, but actually this is it, it's done, take it or leave it.
Thanks man

Yeah I get that I totally do. It's always good to hear other people's takes on stuff, especially on such a mixing centric platform like this. Sometimes it can be raw when you put your heart and soul into it, and other times it can lift you beyond words.

I absolutely love mixing and learning about it, every day is a school day etc.

But you're right, truth is mixing comes secondary to raw emotion and inspiration to me. It's a means to an end just to capture what it is you're creating or you're expressing. I move quickly and things may not be perfect, but the sentiment is and the delivery.

I had something to say that was important to me and this is the vehicle I gave it inline with what I know and feel as a musician. I love lots of music that is technically not perfect or has a less than great guitar sound but I find that more alluring when it has passion or something about it that resonates within you.


I've no intention of going back over this to try and make it perfect. I'm already onto the next two songs, this one is history now

Cheers man and have a great day!
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:53 AM   #22
41TWIN
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Racine / MKE
Posts: 166
Default

Yeah I got nothing on you as far as my mixes go. He'll have a field day with my stuff. But whatever. I will try to learn but I don't really get the critiques. I think your mix is pretty solid and sounds really good. The guitars sound good to me. I listened on my crappy, cheap desktop speakers. Which to me is the litmus test of a good recording. If it sounds good on those, it's good. Yours does.

Just cuz a guy wants to hear a guitar sound a certain way doesn't make it right for the song. When you're recording a song, you're recording a snapshot of history. Your history. Perfect sounds doesn't even come into play in my mind. Same with the vocals. I didn't hear anything off with your vocals in this one. In fact it was quite the opposite. I was like oh he's going for those high parts and nailing it. So maybe my ears don't work, IDK. There is a analness with the music community that irritates the snot out of me. While I like stuff to sound good and I'm admittedly a pop music fan. I always dug bands like Dinosaur Jr. and Pavement cuz they didn't feel the need to make sure it all was auto tuned, perfectly sung, etc.

Music, is more than math. You can't please everyone. LOL.


GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD JOB. The song rocks. I love that you used a duo sonic. I can hear it. What amp did you get to borrow?

What headphones do you use to mix? I'm planning on getting a new set this week cuz I think my current ones are lacking (some gaming headphones that are my sons, lol) and I only mix with headphones. The plan was for some Sony MD 7506's but I'm trying to gather thoughts before buying.
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:22 AM   #23
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41TWIN View Post
Yeah I got nothing on you as far as my mixes go. He'll have a field day with my stuff. But whatever. I will try to learn but I don't really get the critiques. I think your mix is pretty solid and sounds really good. The guitars sound good to me. I listened on my crappy, cheap desktop speakers. Which to me is the litmus test of a good recording. If it sounds good on those, it's good. Yours does.

Just cuz a guy wants to hear a guitar sound a certain way doesn't make it right for the song. When you're recording a song, you're recording a snapshot of history. Your history. Perfect sounds doesn't even come into play in my mind. Same with the vocals. I didn't hear anything off with your vocals in this one. In fact it was quite the opposite. I was like oh he's going for those high parts and nailing it. So maybe my ears don't work, IDK. There is a analness with the music community that irritates the snot out of me. While I like stuff to sound good and I'm admittedly a pop music fan. I always dug bands like Dinosaur Jr. and Pavement cuz they didn't feel the need to make sure it all was auto tuned, perfectly sung, etc.

Music, is more than math. You can't please everyone. LOL.


GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD JOB. The song rocks. I love that you used a duo sonic. I can hear it. What amp did you get to borrow?

What headphones do you use to mix? I'm planning on getting a new set this week cuz I think my current ones are lacking (some gaming headphones that are my sons, lol) and I only mix with headphones. The plan was for some Sony MD 7506's but I'm trying to gather thoughts before buying.

Nail-----> head

Nah man we all mix different and there's nothing wrong with your mixes whatsoever. I like the individuality of people's mixing and the colour that brings...there's gold everywhere if you look If we all aimed for a certain level everything would just blend in to one big mass of predictable audio blancmange.

I used a 5150 from an old guitarist friend I used to play in bands with. Headphone wise I l use Sony MDR 7506 for everything. I also have some beyer dt990 pro but they are just gathering dust. I might just use them as ear warmers this winter lol. I also have a really old set of Adam A7 that I bounce between. I find the Sonys are fine on their own, monitors not necessarily needed.

Yeah I use my duo sonic for everything, it's a Mexican model I bought off eBay second hand a while back.

Last edited by tjw1979; 06-21-2022 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Details
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 02:30 PM   #24
41TWIN
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Racine / MKE
Posts: 166
Default

5150, that's a peavey right? I used to have classic 50 back in the day and another 2 12 that was more metal sounding. I can't remember the name of it though....

I was getting ready to order some 7506's.... this helps me do it. LOL.

I owned a classic vibe duo sonic for a week. MGR. It was a classic vibe model. The nut wasn't quite right and I wasn't sure I wanted to stick more money into it, so it went back. But I came up with a bunch of riffs and had a lot of fun playing it..... I have since played some american and mexican mustangs and I liked these shorter scale models more than I thought I would. I had and G&L fallout for a week once too. Which had a super great sound. But something about the body and the way it sat torqued my left wrist more than usual and it was like always sore when playing it. I play sitting mostly and the body is small. Plus it's 25.5 scale. I think the Mustangs and duo sonics help cuz you're not reaching as far. Plus I think their bodies are a bit bigger than the G&L Fallout. That thing had a SUPER good sound though. P90 in the neck, humbucker bridge.

Strats just feel right to me but I'm constantly tinkering with the sound. LOL.
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:47 PM   #25
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41TWIN View Post
5150, that's a peavey right? I used to have classic 50 back in the day and another 2 12 that was more metal sounding. I can't remember the name of it though....

I was getting ready to order some 7506's.... this helps me do it. LOL.

I owned a classic vibe duo sonic for a week. MGR. It was a classic vibe model. The nut wasn't quite right and I wasn't sure I wanted to stick more money into it, so it went back. But I came up with a bunch of riffs and had a lot of fun playing it..... I have since played some american and mexican mustangs and I liked these shorter scale models more than I thought I would. I had and G&L fallout for a week once too. Which had a super great sound. But something about the body and the way it sat torqued my left wrist more than usual and it was like always sore when playing it. I play sitting mostly and the body is small. Plus it's 25.5 scale. I think the Mustangs and duo sonics help cuz you're not reaching as far. Plus I think their bodies are a bit bigger than the G&L Fallout. That thing had a SUPER good sound though. P90 in the neck, humbucker bridge.

Strats just feel right to me but I'm constantly tinkering with the sound. LOL.

Yes it's a Peavey, he swears by it and has used it for years. Whilst I like it for higher gain stuff I find there's not a great deal of subtlety there. Still a great sound though for what is does. I also own a matamp gt200 and matching 610 from my bassist in a band days but it's just too loud to use in the house for recording. It would shake my house to bits haha.

Yeah the 7506 are great I find. Everything seems to translate for me across different speakers.

My duo sonic has had a little bit of work. I replaced the pickups with some maida vale strat pups and filed the fret edges back as they were a little sharp when I picked it up. I would love a strat personally, maybe one day in the distant future if the budget ever allows haha!

Last edited by tjw1979; 06-21-2022 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:20 AM   #26
41TWIN
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Racine / MKE
Posts: 166
Default

I play a cheap "Starcaster by Fender" on most of my songs. Well that and my Squier Affinity Tele. My bass is better. I have a Fender P. Mexican. And I have a classic vibe jazz. The P is the best instrument I have. The Starcaster by Fender has been with me a while. It is a garage sale get and my Mom bought it for herself to learn. At the time I only had an acoustic cuz I sold all my stuff off from the 90's.

So she gave it to me after a few months cuz she wasn't learning. And then I started to write a bunch of songs on it.

I also knocked down the sharp edges. And it's got mexican pups in it now. Also I had to replace the tuners cuz for a long time it wouldn't stay in tune very well. So one day I pull the 6th string tuner and the shaft was busted. Got some pings for it and the thing is solid now. I also put an older american bridge in it with vintage saddles.

It's a full thickness body and plays pretty good. It's an anomoly though. It has a 16" radius. I struggle with that a little bit. 12" would be a lot better. LOL.

Strats are one of those things where you either have to find the right one or tweak what you got. At least that's my perspective. The upside is, it's the most prevelant guitar and sometimes you can find a good deal on a mexican still..... But sometimes those need some work to get them good to go. IMHO.

Thank you for the comments on my mixes. I put a new one up if you feel led to listen and give some feedback. I struggled with that one, but I like the song. We had tracking issues, mainly the drums but I just ran with it cuz it was a good exercise. LOL. Small little signatures on the tracks.

I was listening to Red Barchetta and Working Man this morning and I think your tone is better than those. I mean, that's what I was saying before.... one can always say the tone needed to be better but you have to put the pen down and actually just let stuff ride. Otherwise you'd be forever redoing a song cuz you might get a better sound.
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:18 PM   #27
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41TWIN View Post
I play a cheap "Starcaster by Fender" on most of my songs. Well that and my Squier Affinity Tele. My bass is better. I have a Fender P. Mexican. And I have a classic vibe jazz. The P is the best instrument I have. The Starcaster by Fender has been with me a while. It is a garage sale get and my Mom bought it for herself to learn. At the time I only had an acoustic cuz I sold all my stuff off from the 90's.

So she gave it to me after a few months cuz she wasn't learning. And then I started to write a bunch of songs on it.

I also knocked down the sharp edges. And it's got mexican pups in it now. Also I had to replace the tuners cuz for a long time it wouldn't stay in tune very well. So one day I pull the 6th string tuner and the shaft was busted. Got some pings for it and the thing is solid now. I also put an older american bridge in it with vintage saddles.

It's a full thickness body and plays pretty good. It's an anomoly though. It has a 16" radius. I struggle with that a little bit. 12" would be a lot better. LOL.

Strats are one of those things where you either have to find the right one or tweak what you got. At least that's my perspective. The upside is, it's the most prevelant guitar and sometimes you can find a good deal on a mexican still..... But sometimes those need some work to get them good to go. IMHO.

Thank you for the comments on my mixes. I put a new one up if you feel led to listen and give some feedback. I struggled with that one, but I like the song. We had tracking issues, mainly the drums but I just ran with it cuz it was a good exercise. LOL. Small little signatures on the tracks.

I was listening to Red Barchetta and Working Man this morning and I think your tone is better than those. I mean, that's what I was saying before.... one can always say the tone needed to be better but you have to put the pen down and actually just let stuff ride. Otherwise you'd be forever redoing a song cuz you might get a better sound.
Ah your instruments sound cool man. Yeah sometimes it's worth persisting with a guitar or bass till it clicks, be it after some minor tweaks here and there or simply time to adjust to a new feel and sound.

Over the years I've owned a lot of basses, and still have three that I'll never sell.

I've got a Spector euro 4 lx I bought with redundancy cash in 2002, a 2004 black/maple us pbass, a 1996 Oly white/tort/rosewood us pbass
Everything I write is on an old battered Tanglewood acoustic which I then transfer to electric using my duo sonic.

Yes I listened to your song last night on my phone speaker and it trasnlated well. I checked on my 7506 and sounded great there too. You say you had a hard time with the drums but I thought they sound nice and natural, nice bit of warmth to them. I've replied on your other thread
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:50 AM   #28
msundh
Human being with feelings
 
msundh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,906
Default

I listened to this when you posted this but since I didn't liked it, I left.
Did a second listen.
The performance is REALLY good, especially the vocals.
The mix is great and tight.
Still don't like the song, sorry
Great job!
__________________
Win10 64bit, Core i7 8GB, Focurite 2i2, Schecter Telecaster, Warmoth Velocity, Yamaha AC3R
https://soundcloud.com/mikaelsundh
msundh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:49 AM   #29
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default

Thanks msundh!!

Appreciate your run down even if you don't like the song

Have a great day/evening!!
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:54 AM   #30
Frank Lee Scarlett
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 400
Default

LOL! Dude. How the hell do you manage to get so many comments on your tune? Every time I look, it's back at the top of the page.

I gave up on getting any useful comments on mine after getting one from the same guy who posted in this thread, criticizing as if he's an authority even though the only music he ever posted was 20 years old and laughably bad.

How do I join this click? Is there a hazing involved?



(I'm not actually complaining. I just find it funny)
Frank Lee Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:26 AM   #31
tjw1979
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Wales
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
LOL! Dude. How the hell do you manage to get so many comments on your tune? Every time I look, it's back at the top of the page.

I gave up on getting any useful comments on mine after getting one from the same guy who posted in this thread, criticizing as if he's an authority even though the only music he ever posted was 20 years old and laughably bad.

How do I join this click? Is there a hazing involved?



(I'm not actually complaining. I just find it funny)
There's definitely no click or if there is I'm certainly not aware of it

I will check your stuff out when I get time for sure. Just on my way out to watch a band so pretty tied up this evening.

All the best man!!
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:29 AM   #32
Frank Lee Scarlett
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw1979 View Post
I will check your stuff out when I get time for sure.
Nah man, you don't have to do that, but I appreciate the thought. I was just being funny because every time I scroll down to this section, your thread as at the top.

Have a good time, brother.
Frank Lee Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:20 PM   #33
41TWIN
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Racine / MKE
Posts: 166
Default

Its a great song. deserves to be at the top. i will give your stuff a listen Frank. Ive been around here for maybe 6 mos. So i may have missed your posts. im trying to listen to everyones. i will be honest, i wont usually listen if its a cover. ive got a bunch of originals people make and i wanna get through them.
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:09 PM   #34
Frank Lee Scarlett
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41TWIN View Post
Its a great song. deserves to be at the top. i will give your stuff a listen Frank. Ive been around here for maybe 6 mos. So i may have missed your posts. im trying to listen to everyones. i will be honest, i wont usually listen if its a cover. ive got a bunch of originals people make and i wanna get through them.
Thanx dude.

I do mostly originals. I only posted that cover/medley because I had started a thread asking about the bass sound on one of the songs while I was recording it. I think it's the first song I ever posted here.

Take care.
Frank Lee Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.