Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
templejazz82
Human being with feelings

Default 13" MacBook Pro + Reaper

Hi Guys- I have been using Reaper on my tower PC for about 6 months. Really liking it, to the point that my next computer I would like to build around Reaper as my main DAW. Currently, my main DAW has been Sonar, and while I like it, ALOT, I feel like it always has more than I need.

My situation- Drummer, recording singer/songwriters, etc... Most tracks I record at once, if recording drums as well, would be 12-16, if the whole band is playing. Normally do 6-10 tracks at a time as my most tracks in a project. ALSO, most projects do not exceed 15-20 tracks. As for effects, I do mix ITB for now, putting my eq, compression, reverb, etc... on the tracks and than mixing my master buss. Also, using an M-Audio Project Mix as my interface, which I plan to try and move for upgrading quality/more desk space. This setup has served me well for 5 years, very few hiccups, which has been great. The issue I have is that I have been offered a few projects recording remotely, so moving all of my gear is a difficult task.

Would, in the forum's opinion, the base model, MacBook Pro 13" 2.3GHz with 8 gig of ram be suitable with Reaper as well as the track count/effects I listed above? I do not want to drop the money and have it not be able to perform. I would hook up the 13" to an external monitor, so that would be ok. Any other suggestions for a MacBook Pro/other laptop? I am pretty set on building my studio around the laptop, as I am not doing major commercial recording, just stuff out of my house.

Thanks-

www.fowlsoundstudio.com
templejazz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Goldigin

hi there!
I have a 2010 13" MBP, 4GB ram, intel core duo (so a bit less performant). Though i haven't used for multitrack recording yet, i experienced only some crashes when using old ppc plugins, but i tried something with only midi in realtime play... 5-10 instruments active at the same time and about 6 effects. In my opinion, since what you need for effects and virtual instruments is CPU speed/power, my old tower pc was just enough (2003 P4 2.4 GHz cpu, 1.25 GB RAM and WINDOWS xp)s newer MBPs are just fine. 4 GB ram could be enough make sure you have a good, maybe firewire, audio interface
Goldigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
templejazz82

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of picking up a Fireface 400 from RME. Should be just what I need. I am wondering if the money spent on extra RAM would be what I need or if it can be spent better somewhere else. 8 gig is alot.

www.fowlsoundstudio.com
Old 08-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
mrelwood

The limit on computer power comes nowadays pretty much only from plugins. I used a 2GHz 2GB 13" MacBook '07 live for recording 24 tracks simultaneously for three one hour sets. No problem without plugins. But if I would've needed to monitor through Reaper with small buffers and use a reverb and a heavy virtual instrument, I would've been pushing it.

Since it is the plugins that will take the computer to the limits, what is enough and what isn't is a very personal matter. Every computer does have it's limits, but the one you mention, does have it's limits very far.

My current MacBook Pro '10 has 4GB of RAM. Not really sure if I would notice the difference if the RAM was boosted to 8GB. In my use that is.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
AnyOtherCity

Also probably worth mentioning, if the laptop is running Lion many interfaces aren't compatible with it (as I found out the hard way) so do a bit of research before you bank on an interface.
AnyOtherCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #6
templejazz82

mrelwood- thanks so much for your experience. I think that 4gig of ram would be more than enough. I went through all of my projects I have done last night, the most tracks I have ever recorded were 10 at once, with that project having 18 total tracks. On all of the tracks, 80% had EQ, Compression, Reverb, etc... on them. The specs, while they are slipping my mind, were less of what this new macbook pro is. How is the fan noise? Do you see your MBP as something that gets in the way when you record. I am assuming no, or you would probably not still be using.

AnyOther- Good points. I would like to get the RME Fireface 400 or some type of MOTU firewire (any other suggestions???). As of right now, RME does not have drivers that I could find for 10.7, MOTU does. This purchase will be made at the end of the year, when the wonderful world of Christmas bonuses kick in. SWEET!

Thanks to you both for your feedback!

www.fowlsoundstudio.com
Old 08-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
templejazz82

also debating a 21.5 iMac or the 27 iMac. If I got the 13" MBPro, it would need to be hooked up to an external monitor, etc... The two iMacs seem to be much faster on paper (quad core, larger internal drive), so I am wondering if a single 27 iMac or a 21.5 iMac with a second monitor would be better.

I figure, if I am going to drop this coin, I want to make sure I buy the right thing.

www.fowlsoundstudio.com
Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 AM   #8
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by templejazz82 View Post
On all of the tracks, 80% had EQ, Compression, Reverb, etc...
Just remember, 2 or 20 tracks isn't that big of a difference for a computer. However, 1 or 10 reverbs is a major change, since reverbs tend to tax the CPU pretty heavily. I suggest using a separate reverb-track (100% effected), and using sends on the tracks that need reverb.

Quote:
How is the fan noise?
MacBook '07 was a bit noisy, not as bad as a basic Acer, but still a bit disturbing. MacBook Pro '10 is very silent. It is quite rare to even hear the fan, and even at maximum it is very discreet.

Quote:
Do you see your MBP as something that gets in the way when you record. I am assuming no, or you would probably not still be using.
That's right, the only thing that would serve me better would be an SSD drive. But the sizable ones are terribly pricey.

Last edited by mrelwood; 09-12-2011 at 11:41 AM.
mrelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
YoRugMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
the only thing that would serve me better would be an SSD drive. But the sizable ones are terribly pricey.
Better off going this route with 4Gb RAM rather than a platter HDD with 8Gb.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
EricM

One question, why MacBook (as in portable computer)? Unless you
require mobility (for which I wouldn't suggest any other laptop)
I'd personally prefer a PC desktop, where you can get far better
performance for the same price.

If you are worried by stability, minimized windows system with
no internet connection, windows update crap and other background
processes is a very stable operating system. Also most plugins
come in both win & osx versions these days, so no issues there.

Edit: ah by 'remote' recording you mean you need to move your
gear, than yes, you need mobility all good.

e
Old 08-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
templejazz82

Hey EricM- glad you asked that question. I am not 100% set on mobility, but I I were, MacBook would be it. However, I am pretty set for a Mac. I still have my PC that I bout from Microcenter in 2005, which is an Acer with an Athlon 64, 1 gig of ram (wow) and it works still to this day. As u mentioned, I have never done any updates and it has never even opened the internet and has not been connected. All software updates I have downloaded on another computer, thrown on a flash drive and brought to this computer. If I want to get a track to a client, same process, where I drag to a USB drive or burn on cd to email it, etc..., and honestly, it is getting old doing that.

I did a session the other day at a friends studio and he had an iMac and we recorded drums and guitar and he sent me the tracks to listen to through email and i listened to them at home. No worries about being connected to the Internet. I just feel my current method adds steps to my process and wastes time. I feel a Mac is the step I need to take to be more efficient. Whether it is a 13" MacBook pro or the 21.5 iMac with a second screen, I do not know yet.

www.fowlsoundstudio.com
Old 08-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
foreward

My 2009 MBP 15" 2.4bhz, 2gb works well 90% of the time. Some buffer lag in more complex scenarios. Running a 32 track Jack Router with Numerology doing most of the heavy lifting. Will see how it holds up with Maschine in a few weeks. Still learning, so I don't have a lot of super complex FX chains, and I'd like to set up an external PC for Reamote at some point - which is prob a good idea for all of us to consider (provided it works as well a promised).

No appreciable fan activity on my MBP provided I don't try to run Windows.
foreward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
daveyajd

I use the above mentioned '10 4GB MBP. My interface is a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. Very nice interface and I would recommend to anyone. I also run dual screens. Everything runs so smooth that I rarely even consider how much cpu I am using. I have done multitrack recordings with lots of effects and VSTi's with no problems.
daveyajd is offline   Reply With Quote