Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 07-16-2016, 05:42 AM   #1
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Default New dedicated VST Player software

"Freestyle"
-> http://www.newsonicarts.com/html/freestyle.php?src=kvr

Funny that a new commercial software for this purpose is released (I do know several existing such products), while Reaper can do this (and much more -> e.g. scripting) for half the price. (At least I am very happy with using Reaper this way.)

BTW. If you really want you might be able to use Reaper as a full featured DAW from time to time.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:55 AM   #2
ivansc

*IF (big if) it really is as seamless and easy as thy make out it could well be great for live performance use, though.....
Old 07-16-2016, 06:00 AM   #3
nofish

Does it have MIDI parameter feedback for learned parameters (which Reaper currently doesn't *cough*) ?

That's a thing essential to me when using a 'Live' host and the reason I'm not using Reaper for this currently.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #4
unmixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
while Reaper can do this (and much more -> e.g. scripting) for half the price.
Well if everyone was a multi millionaire,they too could sell their products for vastly less than market value & just do what they love doing

Freestyle is pretty neat with keysplits,fx,macros & mixer.All works straight out of the box no need for scripting

Also the new sonic arts guys are great at development adding features at user requests & always updating,
unmixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Does it have MIDI parameter feedback for learned parameters ...
I don't even understand what you mean by this (obviously I never felt the need for it).

-Michael
Old 07-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmixed View Post
All works straight out of the box no need for scripting...
I did several scripts to have the virtual instruments I use behave in the way I want them to behave, and not because Reaper requires me to do scripts to use it for live playing purpose (SWS LiveConfigs and friends "out of the box" provide all that is necessary for "standard" Live usage. I just don't understand why LiveConfigs, MidiToReaControlPath and PcToCc are not provided the the standard distribution of Reaper's, plus a section on "Live Playing VSTis" usage in the manual

I did not want to bash any producer of any appropriate VST player software. Only I found that, IMHO, Reaper is the most versatile option, and moreover the cheapest of all commercial offers in that segment (and on top of that I got one of the best DAWs "for free" within that package).

-Michael
Old 07-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
nofish

Quote:
I don't even understand what you mean by this (obviously I never felt the need for it).

-Michael
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=94384

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4388
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
mschnell

I see.

But while of course it's a very useful (in fact mission critical) feature to send midi parameter changes in realtime to a controller that has the ability to visualize them via motor faders or appropriate displays, I doubt that it is that easy.
- the data format will be very much controller ability and brand depending.
- Parameter changes can be introduced by multiple events. Not just normal GUI actions and Reaper's automation envelopes, but also Midi events from wherever, Reascripts, JSFX, OSC, ....
- The assignment between FX parameters and Controller input and/or output on Midi and/or OSC might be changed unexpectedly by some event,

So all this to me seems like at best done with MidiOSC, which allows the standard RAW remote control interface ("OSC" is available in Reaper and in many other DAWs) to be used by Midi aware hardware controllers.

Edit 12/2018: Meanwhile great improvements have been made on that behalf. See the new "Control Surface" subforum.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-14-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
mschnell

While Forte has meanwhile been abandoned, a new VST host software is announced to be available soon.

Camelot -> https://www.camelotpro.com/

I prefer tweaking Reaper to do such things for Live playing, as only the scripting capability of Reaper allows for a Live setup to handle the features of all individual workflow preferences, controllers and pluigins.

In fact, in their forum, I discussed with the makers of Camelot about providing scriptability (e.g. Midi filters) - at best by licensing Cockos' JSFX technology, but they seem to think that this is not necessary for their product, as they intend to provide everything for everybody compatible with the whole world, out of the box. Good Luck . (And providing support for the huge count of freely available audio JSFX plugins also does not seem to be of interest to them. )

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-15-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
mschnell

Quote:
As I two years later integrated an X-Touch Compact control surface with motor faders in my Live setup I now do understand

In fact I was able to do the necessary "parameter feedback" by the set of JSFXes that drive the Live setup. Here a "usual" Reaper based feedback would not help, anyway.

-Michael