Old 12-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
Pinknoise
Human being with feelings

Default Kontakt banks

Hello! I have Modularium from Particular Sound and all the presets come as snapshots. If I want to build a bank AFAIK, I need nki files.
So I started to re-save the snapshots as .nki is there a better way to transform all snapshots to .nki than do them one by one to use as bank?

When I build a bank, I can now scroll through the presets using my controller(MAudio axiom 61) but only in a up/down way. Is there a way to go to say bank preset 5 then preset 10 then back to 5 ?

Last edited by Pinknoise; 12-08-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #2
mschnell

For live playing I use Kontakt Instrument Banks.

I switch the instruments within a bank by sending Midi Program Change messages to Kontakt.

Is this what you mean ?

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:23 PM   #3
Pinknoise

Sounds like it. Do you think I can punch the right CC message to get to one specific bank preset in the numkeys in the Maudio ?
Or better there must be a way to link one button on the keyboard to one preset I guess.
The way you describe it can surely be done using automation too.

Why is there no midi learn to change snapshots ?
Old 12-09-2017, 02:38 AM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Do you think I can punch the right CC message to get to one specific bank preset in the numkeys in the Maudio ?
Or better there must be a way to link one button on the keyboard to one preset I guess.
The way you describe it can surely be done using automation too.

Why is there no midi learn to change snapshots ?
Sorry I have no idea what you mean by " numkeys in the Maudio" and by "midi learn to change snapshots"

As The Oxygen 61 is a Midi Keyboard, I seem to understand that you are trying to use Reaper as a tool for Live playing, hence a similar setup to mine might be appropriate.

Here is what I do:
In my Live Playing Setup, I use SWS "LiveConfig" (-> http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf ) to change patches (is this what you mean by "snapshots". There in fact also is "Snapshots"-management in the SWS extension (-> http://www.sws-extension.org/ ) , which might - or might not - be helpful for you).

I created a very simple JSFX script ("Slider to Midi PS, available via ReaPack -> https://reapack.com/ ) that sends out Program change events when it's "PS" ("Program Set") parameter is changed.

I configured LiveConfigs to push a preset onto this JSFX to have it send out a Program Change event towards Kontakt.

Of course you can use other events or scripts to change the preset of any plugin as a result of a user action (aka Reaper "Action", see the appropriate menu and the User Guide).

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-09-2017 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:24 AM   #5
mschnell

If changing the instrument in a Kontakt instrument bank is the only action you want to perform as a result of pressing a button at the keyboard, you simply could use (or do) a JSFX that converts the Midi message the Keyboard sends as a result of pressing that button to a Program Change message.

LiveConfigs can do a lot more, but needs sophisticated setting up the system.

-Michael
Old 12-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
hopi

I could be mistaken but AFAIK there is not a midi message to change snapshots in Kontakt.... If I'm wrong I'd love to know what cc does that

people if you don't know about Kontakt's snapshots, don't confuse yourself thinking about reaper snapshots or anything else... Kontakt has its own snapshot system

so one solution might be what the OP has been doing... loading a snapshot and then saving it as an .nki... then using that to create a bank in Kontakt

I guess it would efficient if you just save the .nki as a patch... not too much of a HD space hit
Old 12-10-2017, 01:57 AM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
IAFAIK there is not a midi message to change snapshots in Kontakt.... If I'm wrong I'd love to know what cc does that
I don't know what "snapshots in Kontakt" is.

Talking about instruments in a bank, its not CC ("Continous Controller") midi messages but PC ("Program Change") midi messages.

If you mean the current state of all parameters in Kontakt, this can be accomplished by saving and reloading Reaper snapshots for that plugin. But pushing such a snapshot onto Kontakt can take several seconds and it also overwrites settings dynamically changed while playing, while when using an instrument bank, such dynamically settings are preserved when switching back.

-Michael
Old 12-10-2017, 01:58 AM   #8
EvilDragon

Read the manual to find out what snapshots in Kontakt are

And yes, you cannot change snapshots with any MIDI messages.

Also, Pinknoise, you don't need NKI files. Load NKI in instrument bank slot, double-click it, then load your snapshot from instrument header! Rinse and repeat.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
you don't need NKI files. Load NKI in instrument bank slot, double-click it, then load your snapshot from instrument header!
Seems a lot easier than the way I do it right now, alöways creating a new instrument. I don't understand this, as I still don't know about Kontakt Snapshots. I seemingly need to RTFM

Is it possible to edit instrument parameters of an instrument in a bank with this method (somehow auto-loading the instrument GUI of an instrument in a bank) ?

-Michael
Old 12-10-2017, 07:19 AM   #10
EvilDragon

Yes, if the instrument is editable, you can double-click instrument bank slot, and then go to Script Editor to tweak the scripted parameters. However, depending on how the GUI is made, some controls might not be easily visible, and if it's a new, bigger GUI size, you won't see all controls...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #11
mschnell

Quote:
you can double-click instrument bank slot
Double-clicking results in "instrument is locked". (All instruments I use are purchased libraries, so they are not editable in depth).

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-20-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #12
Pinknoise

Quote:
Read the manual to find out what snapshots in Kontakt are

And yes, you cannot change snapshots with any MIDI messages.

Also, Pinknoise, you don't need NKI files. Load NKI in instrument bank slot, double-click it, then load your snapshot from instrument header! Rinse and repeat.
Thanks that works better.