Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #1
JonLinnarson
Human being with feelings

Default Transient splitter with FX inserts (Wavesfactory Quantum style)

When Wavesfactory released their Quantum plug-in, I started to think about how it would be possible to create the same effect in Reaper using only stock plug-ins/JSFX. It would be easy to do it using two different tracks for the Attack and Sustain parts, but when mixing drums you usually don't want to have a ton of extra tracks if not necessary, so I wanted to do it all on the same track. This is the FX-chain I came up with:

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/43063/Tran...chain.RfxChain

It splits the attack and sustain parts like a regular transient shaper, but with the bonus of making it possible to independently add FX to the different parts of the signal. In Quantum you only get to use Wavesfactory's included FX, but with this you can use your own favorite plug-ins!

I would have made a dedicated JS for this if I could, but my coding skills are equal to zero, so if there is any skilled JS creators who would want to make a JS for this you are very welcome!
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:35 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

Haven't looked at your thing, but I made a JS Transient Splitter a while ago.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=205216
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:11 AM   #3
JonLinnarson

I have tried it and it's exactly what I was looking for, but I can't really get it to work the way I want to.

The attack part is a bit to long even when set up so you get the shortest possible attack. Also, when I set it that way (everything on zero except lookahead) I get some of the attack in the sustain part. If I set "Focus" to the default setting (33.4) you don't get any of the attack in the sustain part, but the attack part becomes about 100ms long.

When I use Boz Digital Transgressor 2, that I have used for years, or when I demoed Wavesfactory Quantum, I usually have the release time set to between 20-60ms for snare and around 10-20ms for kicks. The very shortest attack I can get with your splitter is 87ms, and with those settings (500spls lookahead, everything else at 0) you get the previously mentioned problem with some of the attack in the sustain.

Do you know if there is some way to edit the JS to adjust the attack/sustain ratios further?

The lookahead should be long enough (10.4ms@48kHz) so I don't think that's the problem. It's like there is some built-in hold time of 90-100ms that can't be adjusted. Would appreciate it if you can give me some pointers!

Last edited by JonLinnarson; 10-21-2021 at 08:57 AM.
JonLinnarson is offline   Reply With Quote