Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 06-19-2021, 05:00 PM   #1
TekRiFFs
Human being with feelings

Default Can I plug a Multi-FX guitar pedal into my interface?

Hi - Thank you for letting me post this question.. “Would I be able to plug a Boss ME-70 Multi-Effects Pedal (powered by the wall outlet) into my interface into my DAW (Reaper) before an IR loader? ..would I need a Loadbox and a DI box too?” Thank you in advance.
TekRiFFs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #2
DVDdoug

If the interface has a guitar input you should be good to go. If not you'll need a DI box.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
If not you'll need a DI box.
False. The output impedance of the pedal is plenty low to drive a line input. I often actually plug pedals into mic pres even without any noticeable issues. The line input might be a bit less hot than an instrument input could be, but if it doesn’t have a gain control on the interface, you can just turn it up in the box.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:57 PM   #4
DrKev

The output impedance of the ME-70 is 2kΩ, so ideally the input impedance of whatever it is plugged into should be a minimum of 10kΩ. BUT the input impedance of the mic inputs of most audio interfaces is usually in the 1kΩ to 4kΩ range. That wll cause high frequency loss.

A Line input would be better (often in the 10kΩ region?), but instrument or guitar input (usually 1MΩ or more) would be best.

IF high frequency loss is a problem and you have no instrument input a buffered bypass guitar pedal with a lower output impedance (e.g. my MXR M300 reverb has a 100Ω output impedance which is ideal) OR a DI box would solve the issue.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:53 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
The output impedance of the ME-70 is 2kΩ... That wll cause high frequency loss.
First I’d guess that spec to be a little conservative, second it’s going to be mostly resistive but also capacitive so you’re more likely to have broadband attenuation with some possible loss of low frequencies, and third like I said I do these things all the time. Yes an instrument input might be nominally better. It’ll definitely be louder. A line input should work fine, though, and a passive DI is not the best answer in any case. It certainly can’t hurt anything either way, so plug it in and try it.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote