Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
Bansaw
Human being with feelings

Default Batch processing (with normalize) - what option do I choose ?

I simply want Reaper to process a bunch of audio clips (drum samples) in a directory.

I want to "Normalize them to -0.5db".

Its giving me a lot of options, I want to make sure I choose the right one.

LUFS-I, RMS-I, Peak, Tru Peak, LUFS-M max, LUFS-S max.
I've used many audio applications in the past, and generally it just says "Normalize to:" - there are no options to choose from.

I think I am right in saying that the default readout for the Reaper mixer master is RMS-I. So that's what I am thinking of going for. Any comments?

Bansaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #2
Fabian

Just "Normalize" with no qualifier would be "Peaks". Though I guess this could differ between DAWs. But it really depends on what you want to do.

For short sample there is probably not much difference between the various RMS-based measures.

Why not just try for one of the samples and bring the results in to Reaper and compare and choose the one that fits your needs.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
schwa
Administrator

If the target is -0.5 dBFS that is almost certainly a peak value, so you should choose "peak".

-0.5 dB RMS would be very loud!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:54 PM   #4
Bansaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
If the target is -0.5 dBFS that is almost certainly a peak value, so you should choose "peak".

-0.5 dB RMS would be very loud!
Thanks schwa (and Fabian too).
There are two 'Peak' options. 'True Peak' and 'Peak'. The latter being Absolute Peak I think.

'Absolute Peak' might suit me, I gather that 'True Peak' is useful when you're converting to mp3 or some streaming services, where the conversion itself might result in distortion/clipping.
Bansaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:51 PM   #5
DVDdoug

Quote:
Absolute Peak' might suit me, I gather that 'True Peak' is useful when you're converting to mp3 or some streaming services, where the conversion itself might result in distortion/clipping.
Right... The "absolute peak" would be the actual peak value in the data/file. The "true peak" is an inter-sample value when the data is converted to analog (or possibly when re-sampled).

With RMS or LUFS the peaks are unpredictable and you can end-up with clipping.

----------------------------------------
...MP3s are different issue. MP3 compression makes some peaks higher and some lower so the MP3 usually has a higher peak than the original.

That means if you use the crest factor to measure dynamics the MP3 measures more dynamic than the original, although it doesn't sound more dynamic. Something similar happens with vinyl records making the vinyl "measure" more dynamic than the ditital.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:52 PM   #6
DVDdoug

[quore]Absolute Peak' might suit me, I gather that 'True Peak' is useful when you're converting to mp3 or some streaming services, where the conversion itself might result in distortion/clipping.[/quote]Right... The "absolute peak" would be the actual peak value in the data/file. The "true peak" is an inter-sample value when the data is converted to analog (or possibly when re-sampled).

With RMS or LUFS the peaks are unpredictable and you can end-up with clipping. (REAPER won't clip but your rendered format could clip.)

----------------------------------------
...MP3s are different issue. MP3 compression makes some peaks higher and some lower so the MP3 usually has a higher peak than the original.

That means if you use the crest factor to measure dynamics the MP3 measures more dynamic than the original, although it doesn't sound more dynamic. Something similar happens with vinyl records making the vinyl "measure" more dynamic than the ditital.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote