Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #1
Codeseven
Human being with feelings

Default Setting Interface Input Gain

Starting with the Snare Mic>Audio Interface>Reaper.

Initially with setting the Snare hit Peak levels, should I adjust the Interface Input knob so that it shows -10 (or whatever it should be?) on the corresponding Reaper Snare track with the track slider at Unity (-0) ?

I’m using a PreSonus Quantum. The level lights on it indicate just a few green lights from the bottom, which doesn’t seem like much, before the Reaper track shows -10.
Codeseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #2
serr

You should set the gain so the signal does not hit zero and distort. The AD converter in your interface input converts that incoming signal to digital at that point. If you clip and distort it there, that damage is permanent. You aren't trying to match a level to a fader here. You're trying to capture an analog input without distorting it.

You also don't want to accidentally get a way too low a level. This is less of a risk than clipping, especially in 24 bit. You could record a signal with the peaks only coming up to -36db and you'd still have a 18 bit recording. (Better than CD.) Make that same move at 16 bit capture though and you'd only have a 10 bit recording!

Just don't clip! And then make sure you have some meter movement so it's not just way too low.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
beingmf

I'd even go lower. "Traditionally" a real recording scenario will be louder than during the sound and level check. Rather allow for some headroom (better safe than sorry), I assume you record in 24bit.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
Codeseven

I thank you both! I’ll re-read these as I mess with the Interface.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:34 AM   #5
DVDdoug

Trust the meters on your interface... When you clip (during recording) it's the analog-to-digital converter inside the interface that's clipping and you're interface "knows" the true level. Sometimes the DAWs meters are calibrated/adjusted differently.

And I agree... Digital levels are not that critical as long as you avoid clipping. We get a little obsessed or fascinated with meters, maybe because they are "fun"!

In the days of analog tape you wanted a hot signal to overcome tape nose so levels were more critical. And tape was more forgiving on the "loud end". It would start to soft-clip as you went over 0dB and the effects of the recording/playback EQ tend to further "soften" the distortion so it wasn't unusual to occasionally go "into the red".
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:18 AM   #6
Codeseven

Thanks again.

I get that you don't want to clip (according to the Interface meter) right off the bat before it gets to your DAW. Even at peak levels I don't seem to have to worry about clipping at the Interface. The input knob on the Interface (0-40) rarely needs to be set above 15 (not even the middle of the green light indicators) before registering say -18 on the Reaper fader (set at -0).

I’m assuming the meter on the Interface is a Peak meter? Is the Fader meter in Reaper also showing Peak levels (not RMS) or do you have to specify that?

For a Snare (maybe the same for other Peak’s like Tom and Kick?) I’ve read that -10 on the DAW meter is max. True?

Also, further down the signal path on the Track, which for my Snare is Sonnox Oxford Drum Gate (to clean up the signal for triggering) then Slate Trigger 2, is there any truth to the ‘most Plugins expect -18dBs’ rumor?

Thanks

Last edited by Codeseven; 10-19-2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:39 AM   #7
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeseven View Post
‘most Plugins expect -18dBs’ rumor?
Telephone game...

If you have no idea what kind of peaks might happen in an input source, setting the input gain for a -18db rms level will usually result in no surprise peaks clipping. It's a guess! An educated guess that usually results in not accidentally clipping. The aim is still to not clip the input.

Now, some plugins that simulate analog distortions may do that very thing with a signal hitting above -18db rms! This is a thing. It's by design in that case. Most plugins that aren't analog distortion simulators will work at any level.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #8
Codeseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Telephone game...

If you have no idea what kind of peaks might happen in an input source, setting the input gain for a -18db rms level will usually result in no surprise peaks clipping. It's a guess! An educated guess that usually results in not accidentally clipping. The aim is still to not clip the input.

Now, some plugins that simulate analog distortions may do that very thing with a signal hitting above -18db rms! This is a thing. It's by design in that case. Most plugins that aren't analog distortion simulators will work at any level.
Thanks