Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #1
Renka143
Human being with feelings

Default Audacity user and some other beginner questions

Good day to all!

Audacity user here who recently switched to reaper. I'm a novice in the mixing world and I do it for fun. I have a few questions regarding reaper and mixing in general.

1. In audacity, when I apply effects(amplify, compress, limit), the wave immediately shows the changes(wave gets bigger, less humps, you see the limiter cutting the edges on of the wave) which helps me have an idea as to whether there are still parts that need to be "fixed".

In reaper, when I apply FX on a track, although I can hear the changes, the wave doesn't automatically show it unless I render that particular track, which could be tedious if I have to apply FX multiple times.

Is there a way where I can immediately see the effects being applied on tracks?

2. When I add too many tracks, the route button disappears. How do I access this even with many tracks?

3. I have a limited budget and don't have a decent set of monitors nor headphones for mixing but I have managed to produce songs using only ordinary speakers and headphones. I've encountered a number of mixing problems because of this, for example, one track being too loud on speakers but just fine on headphones. Is this an issue that can be fixed if only I had better equipment? Or is this a mixing issue that can be fixed by having more advanced knowledge, say EQing, proper application of compression, or some other mixing trick that's unknown to newbies?

If I were to get one, should I go for a set of mixing monitors first? Or should I go for mixing headphones instead?

4. I use MODO Drum to create drum tracks. Is there a way to create drum tracks where each drum or cymbal is in a separate track? This way I can manually set the panning and volume for each drum/cymbal.
Renka143 is offline   Reply With Quote