Old 06-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #1
reapercurious
Human being with feelings

Default ReaSamplOmatic5000 bugs?

after the update, if you load a one shot sample, tick the "loop" button, and trigger the sample, the sample continues to loop forever. Expected behavior is that looping would occur while the note is sustained. this is with release set to zero, so what happens is if you play up to 8 notes then each of those voices loop indefinitely.

Portamento is amazing! But there's a problem, you can only use one portamento event per voice, if you try two or more portamento events (overlapping notes to do a slide) then the subsequent glides are ignored.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
akademie

"Obey note-offs" option is your friend here.

I think it was not working quite right before. Now it makes sense. "Loop" option is looping (indefinitely) and if "Obey note-offs" option is enabled (checked), then it is doing it depending on note on/offs.

And Portamento works correctly here (v6.12) I believe - if I play looped sample legato style, I got slides for all newly pressed notes (if they overlap, of course). Or I don't understand your problem/expectations?

Last edited by akademie; 06-24-2020 at 10:41 AM. Reason: re-worded
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #3
reapercurious

is there an example of any other sampler that handles "looping" in such a way that momentary triggering a voice one time will result in an indefinite play state? it just seems wrong. I know about 'obey note offs' but to me that applies when you want to stop a one shot independently of the release portion of the ADSR envelope. Looping would, to me, change a one shot into a looped-during-sustain sample play, not to trigger a hanging loop indefinitely.

so to put it simply:

obey note off: prematurely stop a oneshot by releasing held midi note within the confines of the ADSR
loop mode: repeat a sample's selected loop area within the confines of the ADSR
crazy loop mode: trigger a sample one time and it doesn't stop until you stop the DAW's sound engine

and as for the portamento, draw a midi item in which there are three long notes of a different pitch, that overlap. For me, only the first two notes are glided and not the second and third etc.

hope that helps.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:02 PM   #4
akademie

ad your Portamento case ... then definitely you are doing something wrong. It works here (by playing overlapping notes on Virtual keyboard).

ad your Loop case ... RS5k is not any other sampler VSTi, take it that way. It has its own function naming and behavior.
- One shot sample, obey note-offs=ON ... sample plays by gate time of note, but only max to its full duration
- One shot sample, obey note-offs=ON and loop=ON .. .(you can set sample start, sample end and loop start), sound will start to play from beginning, then loop (between loop start and sample end) for the duration of the key pressed
- One shot sample, obey note-offs=OFF and loop=ON ... sample will start to loop and will play/loop indefinitely (when set to 1 voice limit or using portamento, it will chang tones or glide)

What mode are you missing?

Last edited by akademie; 06-24-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 01:50 AM   #5
reapercurious

ok portamento is working expectedly now for some reason. the first time i tried creating a midi item with three overlapping notes, only the first two were gliding and the last one was ignored. this may or may not mean there is a bug somewhere.

thanks for the reply

i personally don't understand why the indefinite loop mode would be useful to me. i understand that this sampler is very nice and unique, there's no question about it so don't take my critique as condemnation, reaper community.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:17 AM   #6
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
...<snip>
i personally don't understand why the indefinite loop mode would be useful to me. <snip>...
I think this is it. The fact that you personally do not see the usage for such mode does not mean there aren't others that are hungry for that exactly, you know

Anyway it is nice to see some love going into the native instrument plugins.
As much as they seem too basic, they are in fact very powerful (it's not like you put ReaSynt on a track and you get "that" massive moog bass or oberheim like fat pads... you have to be more creative, but then you are not retricted by static desigbn of a synth...)