Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
pepe44
Human being with feelings

Default Record audio Without listening the Pre Recorded Items

Fellow Reaper friends today i came across this.
Today i was trying to record some bass parts and made a few takes. All takes goes in lanes as supposed and that is how take lanes work.
Great, but, i want to make some new ideas for that part of the song and i donīt know where to disable the listening of those items that iīve recorded. I have track armed, input monitor ON and i can listen the bass signal in the track while i still listen the bass that is recorded when playback is running.
I have the "monitor track media when recording disabled " disabled. I looked into some different settings and in Reaper preferences but nothing seems to point to that function. Appreciate some help. Thank you.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
serr

When I record "DAW style" with takes stacking up in lanes like that, I use a "recording bin" (my term) track that stays muted. I fly takes I like down into "arrangement tracks" as I get takes I like. (I use the move item vertically up/down shortcuts that are default mapped to the numeric keypad.)

If I monitor overdubs through the mixer built into one of my interfaces... nothing more to do.

If I need to do some live performance through the DAW and thus need low latency settings for live sound/performance, I'll make a separate monitor track that lets me hear the live input. This is record disabled (monitor only). The recording bin track stays muted.

The "arrangement tracks" are literally the tracks you make that will be used in the mix. You fly takes into them as you get takes you like.

You can always grab an alternate take from the recording bin. They stack up in lanes in the order you recorded them (and they have the time/date stamp unless you've changed that file naming default).

Hope that helps!

This isn't a "Reaper workflow" per say but my general "DAW workflow". The Reaper lanes feature just really lends itself to this style.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
pepe44

I guess the best workaround for this is:

Track armed and set track to "record disabled (input monitor only)" and playback is in rec mode you wont listen the media item. At least thatīs what i came across and works.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
serr

When you make a "monitor track" and select record disable (monitor only), there will not be any items being created in that track. There won't ever be any items to listen to in that track.

You make two tracks in this scenario and assign their inputs to the same hardware channel.
One track is your recording bin and stays muted. Takes stack up in lanes as you record them. You never listen to any of them in this track.
The other track is your monitor track for live input.

You create different permanent tracks for your mix. You don't ever record into your mix tracks. You fly takes into them from your recording bin. (And all the pissing around with record monitor switching, punching techniques, and all the crap that came with limited track counts and generational reduction concerns with analog tape decks simply doesn't exist anymore. )

Works for me. Fastest method to get from point A to point B. You can keep up with an overdubbing client (or yourself) and never have to say "hold on a sec". The comp features and analog workflow simulation features are time wasters IMHO.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
pepe44

Seems a good method if you record everything using real amps, vocals , bass amps, drums etc . When dealing with a lot of VSTīs for Guitar emulation and stuff like that can be a bit tedious to load every time the plugins and record to another tracks.
Most of the times i do pre production before recording in studio I think with this method i can be a bit more flexible. Thanks anyway for sharing your thoughts.
All the best
Old 10-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #6
serr

That's probably a good point. And I do work with mics in front of things pretty much all the time.

I do play guitar through virtual stuff in Reaper and I will set it up the same way with a separate record monitor bus track. That's the only time you have to use dueling tracks. If you monitor overdubs with your interface, you need to keep your recording track muted anyway.

Think of it like this: There's just no need to both monitor and record with the same track.