Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 04-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #41
nuno_m_pires
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Thank you!

I'll look into providing another faderbox with 64 sliders. Some of the extra sliders on the 32 version are actually for the Stripper script - so not needed for the Smart Knobs script.

EDIT:

Alternatively - I could just code it like how Stripper works - and that is allow more than one instance of Faderbox32 - thus putting 4 on the track gives you 128 faders if you wanted...?
128 faders !!! ... perfect
I would appreciate it.
thank you again
nuno_m_pires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #42
DynamicK

Quote:
To set up - simply create a track called __LBX_SKCTL. Note two underscores as with my stripper script.
Just like the Stripper script - simply add a LBX-Faderbox to this track.
Do I insert the LBX-Faderbox as an Input FX or as a normal FX? Thanks
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #43
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicK View Post
Do I insert the LBX-Faderbox as an Input FX or as a normal FX? Thanks
Hi. As a normal FX in the control track. Then - on opening the Smart Knobs script - it will detect the faderbox and use that track and faderbox to control your plugin parameters. So you just need to learn your controller to the faderbox parameters.
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #44
DynamicK

@lbo Thanks for the info....I had it as an Insert FX ....The faders were acting all weird. Just inserted it as a normal FX and everything is working.

How does the feedback feature work?
Do I just select YES
Feedback CCs: I'm mainly using under CC numbers < 40
Feedback Channel. Midi channel my controller ( XTouch Compact) is sending on? Or it's global channel?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #45
lb0

Quote:
@lbo Thanks for the info....I had it as an Insert FX ....The faders were acting all weird. Just inserted it as a normal FX and everything is working.

How does the feedback feature work?
Do I just select YES
Feedback CCs: I'm mainly using under CC numbers < 40
Feedback Channel. Midi channel my controller ( XTouch Compact) is sending on? Or it's global channel?
Select yes to send feedback.

The CC options are 0-31, 32-63 etc. (for the 32 faders in the faderbox). I guess it depends on the controller what channel it receives on - it may be the same as the sending channel. I'm pretty sure SRD who I originally developed this for uses an XTouch - so it certainly should be able to talk back to the controller - I'm just not sure how he set it up - but the options should be there to get it working.

EDIT: Also of course you need to route MIDI from the control track to your controller.

Last edited by lb0; 04-13-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #46
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno_m_pires View Post
128 faders !!! ... perfect
I would appreciate it.
thank you again
Hi Nuno,

Have updated the script to allow >32 faders (actually up to 512 if you wish - hopefully it doesn't use up too much CPU on monitoring all the faderbox parameters - not really stressed tested it).

Simply put more Faderbox JSFX on the control track. So two instances will be 64 faders. 3 instances = 96 faders etc.

You'll probably need to restart the script for it to update the number of faders.

Each faderbox will require different midi cc# range and/or channels to return the feedback to the correct controls.

You may need to do some clever routing on the outputted midi feedback if using multiple controllers I guess - this is not something I've tried - but I can't think of any reason why it cannot work.

Last edited by lb0; 04-13-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #47
nuno_m_pires

Quote:
Hi Nuno,

Have updated the script to allow >32 faders (actually up to 512 if you wish - hopefully it doesn't use up too much CPU on monitoring all the faderbox parameters - not really stressed tested it).

Simply put more Faderbox JSFX on the control track. So two instances will be 64 faders. 3 instances = 96 faders etc.

You'll probably need to restart the script for it to update the number of faders.

Each faderbox will require different midi cc# range and/or channels to return the feedback to the correct controls.

You may need to do some clever routing on the outputted midi feedback if using multiple controllers I guess - this is not something I've tried - but I can't think of any reason why it cannot work.
Hi
everything seems to work ok.
Thanks again lb0
nuno_m_pires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:01 AM   #48
DynamicK

Quote:
EDIT: Also of course you need to route MIDI from the control track to your controller.
Thanks. I'll try this later....... Midi feedback works but only to my faders.

Would it be possible for the script to work without the FaderBox having focus? I see that if I close the Faderbox window, I lose control over the plugin. The same happens if I close down the lua script. Could they run in the background?
(The native Reaper MidiLearn works in the background....I don't have to have any other windows open)
Just a thought.

Last edited by DynamicK; 04-15-2018 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #49
MCCY

Finally could test this for some minutes... THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. IT WORKS SOOOO SMOOOTH!!!!
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #50
lb0

Quote:
Thanks. I'll try this later....... Midi feedback works but only to my faders.

Would it be possible for the script to work without the FaderBox having focus? I see that if I close the Faderbox window, I lose control over the plugin. The same happens if I close down the lua script. Could they run in the background?
(The native Reaper MidiLearn works in the background....I don't have to have any other windows open)
Just a thought.
Sorry for delay in replying - been mega busy on lots of things and missed this edit.

Well - the Lua script must be running - otherwise it cannot monitor and translate the Faderbox values onto the selected parameters. You can of course adjust its size to make it small - and hide it somewhere - however - this is not possible to add as part of the script (you cannot alter the script window in code yet).

As for faderbox needing focus - this shouldn't have to be the case - as you simply learn the controls of the faderbox using Reaper's native learn routines - it should just work. Make sure though that when learning the faderbox controls that you don't have the 'Enable only when effect configuration is focused' option set - this would probably be the cause of requiring Faderbox to be focused.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #51
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCY View Post
Finally could test this for some minutes... THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. IT WORKS SOOOO SMOOOTH!!!!
Glad you like it
Old 04-25-2018, 02:14 AM   #52
DynamicK

Quote:
Make sure though that when learning the faderbox controls that you don't have the 'Enable only when effect configuration is focused' option set - this would probably be the cause of requiring Faderbox to be focused.
I thought it meant the Vst Effect, that's what I was doing!
Old 04-25-2018, 02:19 AM   #53
lb0

Quote:
I thought it meant the Vst Effect, that's what I was doing!
Ah - hopefully you should get it working better then.

You always want your controller controlling the Faderbox whatever else might be focused. You then just require the Smart Knobs script to be running - and this takes care of routing any faderbox sliders to the relevant parameters of any focused effect.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:45 AM   #54
DynamicK

Thanks. Is there any way I can contact SBD? I wanted to ask how he set up the Midi Feedback to his XTouch. I searched for him, but can't find a user called SBD.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:49 AM   #55
lb0

Quote:
Thanks. Is there any way I can contact SBD? I wanted to ask how he set up the Midi Feedback to his XTouch. I searched for him, but can't find a user called SBD.
He's srdmusic on this forum.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:27 AM   #56
DynamicK

Thanks
Old 04-30-2018, 03:36 AM   #57
DynamicK

Default Display more than 4 faders in Faderbox

lb0 Any way to display more than 4 faders in the Faderbox? Would make learning easier. At the moment you have to go through the menu(Param/FX parameter list/Learn/F1) for every controller which is a minor PITA.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:46 AM   #58
lb0

Quote:
lb0 Any way to display more than 4 faders in the Faderbox? Would make learning easier. At the moment you have to go through the menu(Param/FX parameter list/Learn/F1) for every controller which is a minor PITA.
Yep - edit the faderbox text file - and remove the '-' at the end of each slider intialisation line (before the Fn text descriptor).

So from:

slider5:1<0,1,0.00001>-F5

to

slider5:1<0,1,0.00001>F5

Of course - you should only need to do the learning once if you save the setup to a project template.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:24 AM   #59
DynamicK

Thanks. I can just hide them when I'm finished learning the controls. Makes life a little easier. So Save Track as Template or Save Mappings as Default would work to save?
Old 04-30-2018, 05:33 AM   #60
lb0

Quote:
Thanks. I can just hide them when I'm finished learning the controls. Makes life a little easier. So Save Track as Template or Save Mappings as Default would work to save?
Not 100% sure if a track template will recall global learned parameters. Might be something to test.

A Project template should though. Or the save as default (if that will work globally).

I personally use an Automap controller which remembers the mappings for the Faderbox plugin (which is wrapped in ReaJS which is wrapped in the automap required wrapper). So setting up for me is a little different.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:42 PM   #61
yonhorizon

Default .

Hi, sorry, what is/where is lbx-faderbox ? Have stripper and smart knobs scripts installed , dont see faderbox anywhere

Thanks
yonhorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:00 AM   #62
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonhorizon View Post
Hi, sorry, what is/where is lbx-faderbox ? Have stripper and smart knobs scripts installed , dont see faderbox anywhere

Thanks
Ah yeah - it's the same one used by Stripper - so you can get it from the Stripper repository. I don't want to end up maintaining 2 versions so I haven't added it to the Smart Knobs repos.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:53 PM   #63
cjewellstudios

Hey Leon!

I am having an incredible time with this!

I am using this in conjunction with your LBX FX Positioner and actually Realearn from Helgoboss as well (I'll detail that at the end here)

What I would love to see in the LBX FX Positioner is when you click next or previous that it also focuses the plugin. I can't really find an easy way to focus the plugin apart from clicking on it. Focusing the plugin obviously sends the parameter data to the Smart Knobs script and in turn sends midi feedback to my midi twister. So it would be incredible if the positioner script also focused on the plugin in single mode. I know not everyone would use it in single mode so that may present a problem.

Sidenote here:

I used Helgoboss' Realearn to map the twister to the faderbox plugin. It does an impeccable job of minimizing parameter jumps and the feedback seemed to be easier to implement. I'm just saying this because it works insanely well and in case anyone was having trouble with parameter jumps like I was. (a classic midi controller fallback)

But this, the positioner, and the stripper are insanely awesome, Leon. Very very well done!
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #64
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
Hey Leon!

I am having an incredible time with this!

I am using this in conjunction with your LBX FX Positioner and actually Realearn from Helgoboss as well (I'll detail that at the end here)

What I would love to see in the LBX FX Positioner is when you click next or previous that it also focuses the plugin. I can't really find an easy way to focus the plugin apart from clicking on it. Focusing the plugin obviously sends the parameter data to the Smart Knobs script and in turn sends midi feedback to my midi twister. So it would be incredible if the positioner script also focused on the plugin in single mode. I know not everyone would use it in single mode so that may present a problem.

Sidenote here:

I used Helgoboss' Realearn to map the twister to the faderbox plugin. It does an impeccable job of minimizing parameter jumps and the feedback seemed to be easier to implement. I'm just saying this because it works insanely well and in case anyone was having trouble with parameter jumps like I was. (a classic midi controller fallback)

But this, the positioner, and the stripper are insanely awesome, Leon. Very very well done!
Thanks. I'll see what I can do regarding focussing the visible plugin. I think it should be possible, but not 100% - need to look into.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #65
deeb

hei lbo ! : ) Are you considering " Enable only when track or item is selected in your script"?

deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #66
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
hei lbo ! : ) Are you considering " Enable only when track or item is selected in your script"?

what exactly do you mean?
Old 06-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #67
deeb

ahh sorry! i ment exactly the opposite of what i asked :/
I still didn't try the script but seems like i have to focus a plugin in order to the fader to control that effect parameter. So an hardware fader can control 1 or more plugin parameter, on any track. What i meant is: if you are considering: An hardware fader controls only 1 parameter of a specific plugin in a specific track and no need to be focused on any fx nor any track selected.
Basically the default behaviour of osc/learn in reaper (in my previous gif: no checkboxes checked).
Old 06-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #68
lb0

Quote:
ahh sorry! i ment exactly the opposite of what i asked :/
I still didn't try the script but seems like i have to focus a plugin in order to the fader to control that effect parameter. So an hardware fader can control 1 or more plugin parameter, on any track. What i meant is: if you are considering: An hardware fader controls only 1 parameter of a specific plugin in a specific track and no need to be focused on any fx nor any track selected.
Basically the default behaviour of osc/learn in reaper (in my previous gif: no checkboxes checked).
Sorry - still not fully understanding your suggestion. If you want a hardware fader controlling a single plugin (on specific track) parameter - why not just use the default Reaper learn system? I'm obviously not quite understanding right.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 AM   #69
deeb

"why not just use the default Reaper learn system?"
Hi!
1) because native feature don't allow feedback to the hardware
2) with this script we have a list (more easily manageble)
3) you have more flexibility to make new stuff : ) more cc modes like ranges , target CC value get's effective after the old value as been reached (like some synths do)
4) you have good GUI tradition :P

Last edited by deeb; 06-06-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #70
lb0

Quote:
"why not just use the default Reaper learn system?"
Hi!
1) because native feature don't allow feedback to the hardware
2) with this script we have a list (more easily manageble)
3) you have more flexibility to make new stuff : ) more cc modes like ranges
4) you have good GUI tradition :P
Thanks

So what you want is a list of faders that can be assigned to anywhere all the time? (ie. doesn't matter if you change track/plugin focus etc)
Old 06-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #71
deeb

Quote:
Thanks

So what you want is a list of faders that can be assigned to anywhere all the time? (ie. doesn't matter if you change track/plugin focus etc)
i think every native option is valid. My scenario is just 1 way.

in my case yes i have this scenario:
- i want the hardware fader to control specific(s) parameters on specific tracks
ex: fader controls vol from track 1
or maybe fader controls vol from track 1 and 2(never used)
And no need for track or item to be selected

- If i duplicate this track, osc/learn is copied too. So both are working. So a way to enable just 1 of them is what i do, and that surge the need of what i refer by "target CC value get's effective after the old value as been reached", like some synths do. A way where i can switch between those 2 tracks (exclusively) and just one of them is responding to the fader. So that moving the fader is ignored until the CC as reached the value it holds and not right away like natively happens. (if you don't see what i am saying i will try to find a better way to explain: nord lead works this way? between ABCD patches knobs just start changing sound after the previous/last cc as been reached)

Anyway! the second point i refer is my own homework maybe! 1st point is the most important part i think. Thanks for listening : )

Last edited by deeb; 06-06-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #72
shosty

I feel stupid asking this but I can't get it to show up in reaper. I've added the lua file to the Scripts folder but I can't find LBX-Faderbox or the script in reaper.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:33 PM   #73
deeb

you must first import in actions panel. press "?" and then load it. After you can see it listed in actions .
Old 06-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #74
shosty

Quote:
you must first import in actions panel. press "?" and then load it. After you can see it listed in actions .
Ok thanks. I can see the script in the actions list but I still don't see LBX-Faderbox, should that be showing in the fx chooser?
Old 06-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #75
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
Ok thanks. I can see the script in the actions list but I still don't see LBX-Faderbox, should that be showing in the fx chooser?
Faderbox can be found here:

https://github.com/L-B-X/LBXStripper

You need to install it in your /Reaper/Effects/ folder
Old 06-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #76
shosty

Quote:
Faderbox can be found here:

https://github.com/L-B-X/LBXStripper

You need to install it in your /Reaper/Effects/ folder
Thank you. So I can load the device, assigned it to my midi controller, they move, I run the script but there it's empty, looks like this - https://i.imgur.com/XZD8HKF.png

I'm running the linux build so if it's a graphics issue it could be a bug.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #77
lb0

Quote:
Thank you. So I can load the device, assigned it to my midi controller, they move, I run the script but there it's empty, looks like this - https://i.imgur.com/XZD8HKF.png

I'm running the linux build so if it's a graphics issue it could be a bug.
Have you created a track called __LBX_SKCTL? Place an instance of the faderbox on that track.

Then start the script...
Old 06-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #78
shosty

Quote:
Have you created a track called __LBX_SKCTL? Place an instance of the faderbox on that track.

Then start the script...
Yes, I've done that exactly and that image is what it looks like.

Do I need all of Stripper installed? I only took the faderbox file.

Last edited by shosty; 06-07-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #79
cjewellstudios

Quote:

I had a little trouble with this too. What I did was make a new JS plugin and just copied the code from the faderbox section on the stripper page.

My plugin ended up being called "new effect" but that's completely because I have a lack of knowledge on this sort of thing.

lbO:

Thanks so much man that would be awesome if you could look into that.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:42 PM   #80
lb0

Quote:

No just the faderbox. Is the track named exactly __LBX_SKCTL - (that's two underscores at the start - one in the middle)?