Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #1
Vagelis
Human being with feelings

Default REQ: Add mouse modifiers for media item label area

Can we have mouse modifiers for the label area above the item as well?
That would be so cool as a different way to add selection to items, move, copy them etc.
It could add another feeling to the workflow e.g now we can add time selection at the empty label area above the item and then drag the item to move-split it.
How about if we could add time selection on the item and then drag the label area to move the item, copy, etc.

*I know there's also the option to choose the bottom half of the item to add mouse modifiers, but it's not that useful, because during music making sometimes you click on the wrong area of the item and it gets a bit frustrating, where in my opinion the label area is more clear where it is.

Not to mention that when the track lane is too small, you can't use the modifiers from the bottom half properly but only from the top part of the item.
The label area could be always visible to move or copy the item, where the other part of the item could be used for selecting time or other modifiers.

Last edited by Vagelis; 10-30-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:30 PM   #2
n997

+1, with following additional request:

A customizable modifier also for media item edge bottom half.

To OP, regarding empty track area for making time selections: one of current solutions is to set 10-20 pixels between items on adjacent tracks (Preferences/Appearance).
That'll give permanent empty space under media items. If there's need for more vertical space in tracks, one could disable drawing labels above the item.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
Vagelis

Thanks for the reply, I’m aware of this option for the empty area under the items. But I would prefer the label area solution as I said above for moving,copying,splitting and the rest item area to add time selection.
To simplify it, a solid label area for items as automation items have, to drag and move the items but the label to be on top as it is.
Another solution would be if we could choose from which height of the item, would activate the bottom modifiers.
e.g a range between the lowest part of the item to the label area.

Last edited by Vagelis; 11-01-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:07 AM   #4
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Can we have mouse modifiers for the label area above the item as well? That would be so cool as a different way to add selection to items, move, copy them etc.
It could add another feeling to the workflow e.g now we can add time selection at the empty label area above the item and then drag the item to move-split it. How about if we could add time selection on the item and then drag the label area to move the item, copy, etc.
You can already make time selections in the "label area" above the items, so how would you divide sensibly that area to have yet another target to focus on? I would think for example item selection that you mentioned would become much worse trying to target a relatively small and possibly split area above the item rather than the item itself?

Also, you don't necessarily have the labels above an item, but within it. What should happen then? Item area divided to three parts instead of two it already has?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
You can already make time selections in the "label area" above the items, so how would you divide sensibly that area to have yet another target to focus on? I would think for example item selection that you mentioned would become much worse trying to target a relatively small and possibly split area above the item rather than the item itself?
I 'm aware that we can make time selections above the items, my point was to have an option to reverse this behavior, like adding a label area on the empty space with a different color than the item, which from there we could drag to move/copy,slip edit the item and then use the media item context to add selections.
This could be useful if we want to use both move item,create time selection as default modifiers.
I think it wouldn't be that difficult to target a label area with different color than the item and which is at the top of the item. The same way we can move AIs from the label area but that's at the bottom.
Also this becomes very useful when the track height is small.
At least I could target easier the label area than the bottom half of the item, since there's been many times that i could't predict the middle of the item, which was leading to unwanted edits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Also, you don't necessarily have the labels above an item, but within it. What should happen then? Item area divided to three parts instead of two it already has?
Yes that's a thing i didn't think of, maybe if the labels are within the item to create another area above the item with different color to move/copy, etc the item.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:07 PM   #6
joe2

Not sure of the best way to implement this but given label areas can be hacked to *look* just about right (see https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=239941 etc.), it would be nice if they could be interacted with, too!
joe2 is offline   Reply With Quote