Old 09-22-2015, 11:55 PM   #1
Adrian Ursu
Human being with feelings

Default Need some opinions about my mix

Hi ! I play guitar in a rock/alternative band and for some reasons (budget also) I have to mix our 10 tracks album. I have some experience but I never finished a mix, now it's the first time when I'm doing this seriously.
I would like to know some opinions that could help me improve this mix. I don't want to compete with those expensive productions, just want a decent sound and be ready to move to the next track.
I worked in the box in my home studio.

Here's my demo :

https://soundcloud.com/sun-boulevard/prove-you-wrong

Thank you !
Adrian
Adrian Ursu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:11 AM   #2
flickervetigo

sounds pretty damn good for a first serious effort
flickervetigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:49 AM   #3
camerondye

Your mix is good. The main thing I've heard since the first time listening is that the mix is really hard and almost too in your face even on the soft parts. I think everything is compressed too much where the guitars and vocals have to be heard all the time at 100% instead of kind of taking turns. I also think the guitars and vocals are fighting too much for the same EQ space and could definitely use some EQ separation and some different reverbs on different sections. The vocals and guitar seem too loud throughout the whole mix, they are so up front that the rest get very drowned. It could use some different guitar sounds (different amps, pedals, pickups, guitars etc...) so it doesn't have as much of a live feel. Very nice job and you've done well and with a couple production/mix things you've got an awesome product. If you want some help or more ideas just PM me.
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:10 AM   #4
James HE

I think the clean guitars are too "direct" or maybe just too loud. I'd rather they they be in space that isn't right in my head.

Overall sounds really good!

You have some great sounding tracks to work with.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:59 AM   #5
Adrian Ursu

Thank you for your replies ! I agree with your suggestions and ideas ; I couldn't hear those issues because sometimes I can't listen objectively, maybe I should take a break for a day or two.

camerondye : I don't think I can use other guitar gear for this song but I will experiment with the other 9 tracks. And I know what your saying about the live feel...I think I was too insecure to treat different parts with different approaches. I appreciate your help.

James HE : you're right about those clean guitars. I listened the song with different speakers and I heard the problem.

Anyway..I reuploaded the track after I did a few changes regarding guitar compression & eq, but maybe quite subtle for now.

Thanks again for your comments.
Adrian
Old 09-24-2015, 07:00 AM   #6
sammydix

I glad I saw that you re-uploaded because I wasn't hearing hardly any of the things being suggested. I could hear the bass more prominent, but I think that's just a preferential thing. Otherwise, very good mixing, I feel.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
msundh

I didn't hear the first version, but this one is good. A commercial sound.
Great song, great mix!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
camerondye

I like the new mix a lot better...I still think the vocal is a little hot and the bass needs to be heard more on the break. Nice job
Old 10-01-2015, 04:00 AM   #9
Adrian Ursu

Thank you again for your replies. I replaced the track (again) after I did a few changes and I also uploaded the next song.

You can find them here :

https://soundcloud.com/sun-boulevard

The other song it's quite different but I tried to make it sound close to the first one.

Adrian
Old 02-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #10
Adrian Ursu

Hello again ! I worked a lot lately and finished 6 tracks. I have some limits when it's come to mixing/mastering and I think I've reached them but I'm quite pleased about the result. I mean..I just wanted a decent sound.
By the way...I used a lot of Nebula fx like tape, console, eq..etc. Actually I never used an algo compressor.

I re-uploaded the tracks here :

https://soundcloud.com/sun-boulevard/sets

Thank you !
Old 02-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #11
NKB

I think your mixes sound great. Mind you, I'm not playing your songs along side anything else as reference but hearing them on their own I wouldn't mess with them much.
NKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #12
camerondye

I see you are using some different guitar tones now, makes a ton of difference for separating parts and making certain ones stick out a little more...very nice job. I think you've done way better than decent IMO and a lot better than you had 5 months ago for sure. You can hear the vocals nicely but not too much, the bass sits nicely in the mix and the guitars for the most part don't walk on the vocals which is the way you do it. Very good job all around!!!
Old 02-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #13
jalan

I really like this and agree that it's a very pro sounding song/arrangement. Not to open a box of worms, but I'd like to hear this at the hands of a good mastering engineer -- I think it's mostly there, but could used some punch and clarity. Unfortunately, I can't really help with that. So I'll leave it by saying I really dig it
Old 02-26-2016, 05:18 AM   #14
OpIvy

I'm a little late to this but just stopping in to say these mixes sound awesome. vocals are nice and clear but those guitar tones...they drive it along very nicely.

Mastering, smastering....keep at it!
Old 02-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #15
silar

Great mix man!

Honestly, the only thing I would suggest is to add a tiny bit more grit to the guitars on the prechorus and chorus. I was expecting them to have a little more dirt with this type of music.