Old 12-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
Captain Cook
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER and .midi (and .mid)

My buddy is a professional drummer and often helps me out with E-Drum-created MIDI-Files that I can use for my songs. The files he sends me are .midi and can't be opened in REAPER. Why is that? Even the Windows media player recognizes them as MIDI-Files and plays them. I found out that I can rename the files to .mid (without the second "i") and REAPER will open them. However, these renamed files sometimes don't seem to be working properly.
Captain Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Never had a problem with .mid. Just drag&drop onto a track and it opens.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
Captain Cook

I don't have problems with .mid either. Only with .midi

Those .midi-files don't even show up in the media explorer and therefore can't be dragged and dropped.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
fredfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Never had a problem with .mid. Just drag&drop onto a track and it opens.
But are you converting them from a .midi file to a .mid file and then opening them. That is where the OP is having a problem.

I think that the sub question to the main question is, is there an inherent difference in the .midi file format and the .mid file format?

I know that there are (to my knowledge) 3 basic midi formats - MIDI 0, MIDI 1 and MIDI 2. Could it be that this is where the OPs problem is. I do remember that way back I had a small freeware program that converted between the different MIDI file formats, if I find it I will post it.
fredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
fredfish

I think this was the converter I was talking about.

http://www.brothersoft.com/midi-file...ter-99099.html

I saw your reply to evildragon. But am I right in thinking that sometimes even the files where you change the extension still g
wont work? If that is the case then checking the MIDI file format might help (not saying it will but it might).

Good luck
fredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfish View Post
I think that the sub question to the main question is, is there an inherent difference in the .midi file format and the .mid file format?
This is indeed what I'm asking. Plus: Why does REAPER completely ignore the .midi files? They simply don't show up in the REAPER media explorer. When I try to drag and drop them from outside of REAPER (for example the Windows media exporer) into a REAPER window, I get the error message "Could not import 1 of 1 items".

I don't have another DAW running on my computer now, but I think I remember I was able to open the .midi files in Cubase, then save them as .mid and then open them in REAPER. A very annoying workaround ideed...
Old 12-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfish View Post
I saw your reply to evildragon. But am I right in thinking that sometimes even the files where you change the extension still wont work?
I'm not sure about that. The .mid file I get from renaming the file extension doesn't seem to have the first notes at the right place. Your MIDI-Converter just gave me the exact same problem. Thus, I guess my buddy simply messed up his markers during export.

Another guess: could this be a PC/Mac-problem? He's using a Mac while I'm on a PC.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
DarkStar

Can you attach a small .midi file so we can have a look?

Also, in Media Explorer: right-click and enable "Show all files". Ypu'll be able to see the .midi files but Reaper will not load them.

-------------
I would keep away from BrotherSoft, it distributes software and other things too

Last edited by DarkStar; 12-30-2012 at 09:46 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
FKAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post

Also, in Media Explorer: right-click and enable "Show all files". Ypu'll be able to see the .midi files but Reaper will not load them.

-------------
I would keep away form BrotherSoft, it distributes software and other things too
+1 re BrotherSoft - Internet filth
FKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Ha, I wasn't able to attach the file because the forum only allows .mid , not .midi . The irony...

Now I uploaded the file to box.com . You can get it here: https://www.box.com/s/zqqeohot20g2u2mqsrny

I'm really interested if any of you guys can use it in REAPER!

Quote:
I would keep away from BrotherSoft, it distributes software and other things too
I learned that lesson. Got a warning from my virus scanner and "deleted" someting. Was still able to run the program, and I'm a bit worried now.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
gofer
-blänk-

Which program does your buddy use to create those files?

I never heard of *.midi before (in my small yesterday world file extensions are still 3 characters ) and I couldn't find anything about *.midi on http://www.midi.org/ either.
A bit of googling seems to indicate that it's just a different file extension and no difference in file structure is mentioned. That would mean you could just delete the second "i" and it should just open as intended - but your experience proves otherwise.

I'd recommend to talk to your buddy and ask him to rather provide the old faithful *.mid

MIDI type 0, 1 or 2 are all normally saved as file with the extension .mid, the format type (0,1 or 2) is specified inside the file, not with the extension so it is not this.
I know Reaper opens type 0 and 1 correctly, but I never got a type 2 file, so I don't know whether these are correctly interpreted as well.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
EvilDragon

*.midi should be exactly the same as *.mid. The format is exactly the same - only the extension is different.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cook View Post
Now I uploaded the file to box.com . You can get it here: https://www.box.com/s/zqqeohot20g2u2mqsrny

I'm really interested if any of you guys can use it in REAPER!
Getting rid of the "i" making it "MID" works just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post

I never heard of *.midi before (in my small yesterday world file extensions are still 3 characters ) and I couldn't find anything about *.midi on http://www.midi.org/ either.
A bit of googling seems to indicate that it's just a different file extension and no difference in file structure is mentioned. That would mean you could just delete the second "i" and it should just open as intended - but your experience proves otherwise.

I'd recommend to talk to your buddy and ask him to rather provide the old faithful *.mid

MIDI type 0, 1 or 2 are all normally saved as file with the extension .mid, the format type (0,1 or 2) is specified inside the file, not with the extension so it is not this.
I know Reaper opens type 0 and 1 correctly, but I never got a type 2 file, so I don't know whether these are correctly interpreted as well.
Yes, you should find out what your friend is using and also get together on how/where you want the files to start.

I've never used a type-2 midi file before either and I don't think it's used for anything these days. Type-0 MID files uses 1 track for all midi channels while type-1 uses different tracks for each channel, at least that's how I've understood it for all these years.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
Captain Cook

Quote:
Pro Tools on a Mac.

Quote:
I'm not so sure anymore. The first Midi notes in the files just don't start at the right time, and I'm almost sure it's because my buddy does something wrong during export. Had the same problem with the last mp3 he sent me.

Quote:
Ohh, I did! Sigh... I'm talking to a DRUMMER here. ;-)
Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
*.midi should be exactly the same as *.mid. The format is exactly the same - only the extension is different.
I come to the same conclusion. However, in this case, this is a silly problem for a DAW like Reaper to have.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
hopi

well ok... simple .mid is the standard... if PT makes .midi, it's breaking that standard.. [big surprise, eh?]

as to the first note thing:

Open the file in reaper midi ed., go to list view and see if there are entries before the first real note...

if so remove them and try that...
Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 AM   #17
ivansc

Loaded your file up in reaper and I can SEE it all, but it has somehow disabled all outs. I tried loading three different drum romplers and could not get a peep out of either of them.

No MIDI signal out, no audio signal out.

Hmm....

Hopi: There is also almost NO setup info in his midi file, so your idea of removing everything before the first note does nothing.

No sysex that I can see, either.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:31 AM   #18
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Loaded your file up in reaper and I can SEE it all
Really? You were able to drag and drop the file to a Track in REAPER?
Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #19
EvilDragon

Yes, that's entirely possible to do.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #20
Captain Cook

Not for me. I always get the error message I mentioned: "Could not import 1 of 1 items!".
Old 12-31-2012, 05:55 AM   #21
tweezer

I got it to play by renaming to .mid with no problem. The problem with the file seems to be that there's half a bar missing from the beginning. I'm guessing this because there's a drumfill which should be at bar 8 which comes in at the halfway mark in bar 7. Slide the file along to start at 1.3.00 and everything is in place. Copy the first half bar from bar 9 and paste it at 1.1.00 and it's fine. Well, almost fine.

Last edited by tweezer; 12-31-2012 at 06:00 AM.
tweezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:56 AM   #22
EvilDragon

Doesn't work for .midi, works for .mid.

Use .mid.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #23
hopi

go here and get your .midi file, now .mid, with what I did to make it work...

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/14919/Groov...nder%20001.mid

compare your original with this one in midi editor List View...

when you do, you will see that apparently this was a file made with Groove Agent 1 [at least it named that in the file you uploaded] and as such had a slew of CC events in 3 main areas...

footpedals, etc....

I cleared all that garbage out and left just the notes and it plays fine in drum vsti's here...

If you have used Groove Agent you will have a better clue as to what it does and why this happens...

Of course I can't tell if the file now sounds the way you want it to but it does play from the first note onward and ...well, just have a look.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #24
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
apparently this was a file made with Groove Agent 1 [at least it named that in the file you uploaded] and as such had a slew of CC events in 3 main areas...

footpedals, etc....

I cleared all that garbage out and left just the notes and it plays fine in drum vsti's here...
Thanks for the help. This was never the issue though. The midi notes just weren't in sync with my audio.

To make a long story short: I'll ask my buddy to provide regular .mid files, and if for some reason he can't, I'm just going to rename the file extension.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #25
musicbynumbers

Just found cubase also outputs ".midi" files rather than ".mid" too

Be great if the devs could get reaper to recognise both
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #26
gofer
-blänk-

Agreed. Seems easy enough.

On a side note, if you get a MIDI file from an e-drummer and erase all CC data, you are most likely throwing some of the best bits away. It's not garbage, but probably the HiHat pedal movement, positional data, cymbal choking and so on. If you got a VSTi compatible to that data that's what makes all the difference to the GM drum mapping.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote