Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 05-06-2016, 05:16 AM   #841
schwa
Administrator

Step input mode, using either the keyboard or a MIDI controller, seems to work fine here in notation view. You can assign actions to change the note length grid to either the keyboard or controller as well.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #842
sebas777
Human being with feelings

@schwa

Thank You for Your quick reply!

I was trying to learn more about the step input mode, but for some reason no YT tutorial exists on the topic, and there is no chapter (or I cannot find it) in the latest Reaper manual on that basic feature.

I managed to enable function keys to enter notes. After reading Your post I have realized that the option "use all midi inputs for step recording" may in fact start step recording (acting as the "midi input button" normally found in DAWs in the piano roll ).

From what I understand, you can insert a single line of notes with the length equal to the grid value, and there are additional SWS keycommands to set dotted and triplet grid values (no other tuplets).

Is there a way to step enter chords, ties or rests, or to repeat the previous note/chord? And is there a way to change pitch of the selected note by midi, or to change its length by a keycommand?

One tip I found recommends setting up a special step recording toolbar. Is it possible for a toolbar to temporarily activate a keycommand sub-set (when the toolbar is opened)? In applications like MuseScore or Sibelius this mode uses quite a lot of keys, so it would be a good idea to use a keycommand(/midi commands?) sub-set activated when the step input mode is on.

Last edited by sebas777; 05-06-2016 at 08:39 AM.
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #843
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebas777 View Post
From what I understand, you can insert a single line of notes with the length equal to the grid value, and there are additional SWS keycommands to set dotted and triplet grid values (no other tuplets).

Is there a way to step enter chords, ties or rests, or to repeat the previous note/chord? And is there a way to change pitch of the selected note by midi, or to change its length by a keycommand?
There are a bunch of actions to set the length for the next inserted note, change the length for the next inserted note preserving the grid type (straight/dotted/triplet), change the type but not the length -- search for "next inserted". There are also actions to advance the cursor, which is equivalent to inserting a rest.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #844
hamish

I on the other hand thank you schwa for creating an editor that is great at reading real MIDI performance data and rendering it as Notation.

I did a trivial test of the workflow: 1) Record audio (Ukulele) without click. 2) Tempo map audio 3) Create MIDI track via ReaTune 4) Clean up mistriggers (out of range and very short notes) with the Filter. 5) Set appropriate Clef, Keysig and Display quantisation.

Result was quite satisfactory.

P.S.
I did get a bizarre behaviour back in the pres after recording live MIDI and tempo mapping, the Piano Roll and Notation were a beat out. Very strange. I will try to duplicate it in the rc.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #845
sebas777

Thank you very much for the explanation! I will go and test the current method.

While reading about Logic's step input, I found these two interesting display parameters:

Interpretation

No Overlap
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #846
memyselfandus

Some ideas over here

http://blog.steinberg.net/2015/12/de...-12/#more-1162

http://blog.steinberg.net/2016/03/de...-13/#more-1226

http://blog.steinberg.net
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:18 PM   #847
zappadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappadave View Post
I am working in tuplets in 4/4.
I can only get up too 10 tuplets in a quarter note, can't set actions for 11, but want more tuplet madness
Ideally I need actions to set this up in the midi toolbar.
actions are:-

Grid: Set grid to 1/11
Grid: Set grid to 1/13
Grid: Set grid to 1/17
Grid: Set grid to 1/19

This will enable 1/44 , 1/52 , 1/68 , 1/76, which i can't do at present

And yes i know my music is weird, but hope this is not too much to ask.
Thanks
any chance of this
Old 05-09-2016, 12:11 AM   #848
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebas777 View Post
Thank you very much for the explanation! I will go and test the current method.

While reading about Logic's step input, I found these two interesting display parameters:

Interpretation
[...]
No Overlap
[...]
These display parameters in Logic appear to be very similar to the "Set note ends to start of next note (in voice)" option that has been proposed before: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=689. Dividing the option into two sub-options, namely "No overlap" and "Interpretation" also makes sense to me.

The problem with these options, as the Logic manual also points out, is that the notation display deviates from the underlying "real" MIDI data. There is a trade-off between ease of reading and MIDI accuracy. A possible alternative solution is therefore to use staccato and staccatissimo articulations to remove the short rests: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=813. This would make the score easier to read, while keeping close to the real MIDI data.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:41 AM   #849
hamish

After having done quite a bit of testing with live input I strongly agree with this suggestion.

I think, similar to 'reduce ties' (which invokes dotted notes), an option 'display shorter notes as staccato/staccatisimo' would be a great addition to the capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
should the interpretation of staccato and staccatissimo be left to script/plugins, or should the notation view itself interpret these articulations?

I think it may be useful to let the notation view itself do some *basic* interpretation. (Scripts and plugins will still be able to do additional, user-customized interpretations to distinguish between different kinds of staccato.)

Perhaps REAPER can follow the standard that staccato means "note sustained for half the written length", and staccatissimo means "note sustained for quarter the written length". Then, when a staccato or staccatissimo articulation is added to a note, the *notation* displayed note length changes, either doubling or quadrupling, while the underlying MIDI stays the same. I.e. an eighth note changes to a staccato quarter note, or to a staccatissimo half note. The notation displayed length will therefore still reflect the actual duration of the MIDI note.

Any quantization options can still apply to the staccato and staccatissimo notes.

As an example, if a part with lots of staccato quarter notes is played live on a MIDI keyboard, these staccato notes will be displayed as eighth notes when the MIDI file is first imported. The user then selects these notes and -- without having to change any MIDI -- adds the staccato articulations, and the notes are now displayed as staccato quarter notes.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #850
ReaDim

Default Insert custom text action?

Hi!
Is there any way to create an action (custom) which inserts specific text?
For example an action to insert a word "Pizz" or "molto"...
Any ideas?
Maybe a script?
ReaDim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #851
planetnine

I think you'd need a script to create the MIDI event at the edit/mouse cursor...

>
Old 05-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #852
EpicSounds

Looking for someone to help me out with a video for the reaper blog.

Please email if you have been using the notation features and are interested in explaining them to the community. These videos get a lot of views so it's a good way to promote yourself as well.

please email jon[at]reaperblog[dot]net
Old 05-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #853
konstantin.isaev

Default Score layout suggestion

Didn't found anythin like it so posting it...

1) Staff notation does not suppose any more or less milliseconds within the note, it is always mean exact time at exact position 1/4 1/8 etc. and if you ll try to interpret live unquantised input youll always end up with the ureadable staff garbage.

2) As we talking about professional musical tool we have to think like pro - musician: every musical piece have it's pulse and all the material perfectly feat this time structure - so we have to find this pulse and if the note starts or ends somewhere nowhere in terms of this pulse we probably have to suggest it as a mistake and display it at the closest pulse position.
It means that our notation will show nonreal picture but I think this is the only way to get notation which helps to work with piece...
I do score writing and right now it works in the way I cant use it - I dont want to quantise all my input just for showing it right - I need it to understant what did I meant so i can keep the feeling(when notes stays away from the exact project timing positions) and at the same time work with the readable notation.

3) Some sounds have slow atack and when you play them you have to play them earlier than project timing positions but it is still good to have them as a notes at right places.

4) When we'll finsh with analysing Items own timing and quantise notes in it's timing we have to show them like they're perfectly in time - I think is the only way, but of cource we can use green bars or something to show "real" stuff

Last edited by konstantin.isaev; 05-10-2016 at 05:59 PM.
konstantin.isaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #854
hamish

That's not quite right, there is some amount of timing variation possible. You can have notes with easily 3-6 ms humanised timing, with a 67 percent swing and they display as clean 1/8th notes, just like a printed score.

It may be in the future that they can develop a way to do extreme or real-world display quantization. Which might mean 'teaching' the editor on a per-staff (or per-part) basis.

Meaning a group of notes (a phrase) that are more than one grid division late or early could be selected and dragged, giving them a 'display timing offset' while not changing the underlying note event timings. This would be fantastic for real played MIDI drum parts for example where phrases may race or sit back a lot.

But that would be a pretty big thing, and would be unique to REAPER. (as far as I know?)

Last edited by hamish; 05-10-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #855
memyselfandus

How do we hide the colored rectangles?

Old 05-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #856
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
How do we hide the colored rectangles?

That is the selected note(s) and its piano-roll representation. Un-select it and it disappears, it's only seen for selected notes.

>
Old 05-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #857
memyselfandus

Shouldn't the selected note be determined by the last inserted note?

also.. how do you un select a note in notation view? ESC closes the window.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #858
planetnine

Ctrl-click works for me, but careful you don't click fast enough for ctrl-doubleclick -that seems to delete notes...

>
Old 05-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #859
pcartwright

Default Possible bug, unknown origin

I ran into the following issues when using spk77's "Remove Redundant CCs" and spk77 and breeder's "MIDI Velocity Tool":

First, the two scripts run incredibly slow.

Second, when they finish running (assuming Reaper doesn't hang up in the process), I occasionally get an added note:

Before:

After:

I tested against 5.18 and there is no issue.

I'll see if spk77 and breeder can look into from the script side, but my first thought was that something in the reascript API may be compromised with the 5.2 builds. Or is this kind of thing common with pre-releases?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (58.4 KB, 1234 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (56.3 KB, 1229 views)
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #860
ELP

I don´t have the problem. 5.20rc7
Old 05-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #861
pcartwright

I found the issue becomes worse with more MIDI tracks and events. Does your project have many MIDI items and CC events?
Old 05-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #862
ELP

it can/is extremely slow to unusable(hang), if you have multi channel events within items/tracks.. + more then just a few events...
or filter things -#cc within list view and edit .... or if you select/edit more tracks/items with maybe different channels + at the same time... and use these scripts

but this is already with <=5.18 and not only within 5.20 rc....

sometimes it is better to use the FX Version of Remove Redundant CCs..

EEL/Lua etc. pp scripts use normally only the main reaper cpu thread... FX not
and I mean/believe that´s why it(as FX -if possible ) is faster... with or without Anticipative...
See Mr. Tod... he use/must use the Fx version... for his many redundant events.. sry @Tod of course only a joke^^

one example 356196 MIDI events
Length: 14897 quarter notes
multi channel item... the eel version is extr. slow up to reaper hang
the FX version not..
remove at all 16 channel included 48 different #CC after apply take FX.. and all ch & #cc at the same time- need only 3-4 or so seconds
Impossible with the eel script & simply hang/ is extrem slow

Last edited by ELP; 05-12-2016 at 10:54 AM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #863
ELP

And this is happen if I would use Eel/lua script within List and filter
at the same Midi... as above
It hang -unusable... and you can see that also scripts -generally use only the main REAPER cpu thread ...

Waste of computer resources....

As JSFX no problem and very quick
Old 05-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #864
pcartwright

Interesting information ELP. I didn't know about the CPU core limitation on scripts.

Anyway, the fact is that there is significant difference in performance (on my machine, at least) between 5.18 and 5.2 rc running the same project.

I reset Reaper to factory defaults, but no improvement with 5.2.

Weird.

Last edited by pcartwright; 05-12-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:34 AM   #865
Icchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Previous builds did have a whole code section of special handling for exactly the rhythm pattern exceptions listed there. This was removed in pre27 with the comment "this may be too clever for its own good."
I personally think that there are so many "special" cases in notation where you want to display it in certain way that a "database" of special cases would be very good thing to include.

Basically these special cases are like any special cases in language of any kind and are part of the grammar and syntax.

In code editors for programming languages you can set up rules as how to display certain syntax and I would definitely like if in the future one could set up these rules for displaying certain kind of rythm or piece of notation in certain way and every time editor notices that pattern, it'll convert the display to this setting.

These are numerous, so there could be an API or some sort of rule editor to set them up.

For example, in Jazz notation it's usual to display the sharps and flats in such a way for melody lines, that if melody is rising, you avoid setting two consecutive notes, that are half (or in some cases a whole) step apart into the same line and instead mark the subsequent one above the previous one if the note is higher.

Makes it easier to read the general direction of the line on difficult passages.

And vice versa.

This is something that Jazz composers kill for, if they could set up a rule set for sharps and flats like this and it would just do it as human would
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:34 AM   #866
Mr. PC

I was wondering, if there could be options to customize hot keys, or just pre-established hot keys for everything.

Sibelius has in my opinion the perfect setup for hot keys. A specific key that makes a note sharp or flat. Pressing 'A' gives you an 'A' note (closest octave to whatever your last note was). B gives a B, C gives a C etc.

CTRL Up - shifts a note up an octave, CTRL Down for down an octave.

Shift T - Brings up the transpose menu, transposes the selection.

Left-Right selects the previous or next note.

For me this is so important, but maybe it's a lot of work to implement. I wish I could program; I'd do it for you
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #867
memyselfandus

Don't forget Polychord symbols

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychord

I have not tried the last few betas. Do we have rhythm slashes yet?

Old 05-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #868
funkycornwall

Slash chord symbols normally mean a chord with the altered bass note underneath. It is not convention for it to mean two chords at the same time. Dm7/G means a Dm7 chord with a G in the bass.
funkycornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #869
nightscope

Is there any documentation for the notation editor?

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #870
kerryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkycornwall View Post
Slash chord symbols normally mean a chord with the altered bass note underneath. It is not convention for it to mean two chords at the same time. Dm7/G means a Dm7 chord with a G in the bass.
Polychords (aka polychord fractions) are two chords superimposed; they are reasonably common usage. They are often signified by a horizontal line between the chords. See attached excerpts to differentiate between the two (Pocket Music Theory, Hal Leonard).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slash chords.jpg (61.1 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg Polychords (aka polychord fractions).jpg (57.2 KB, 322 views)
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #871
memyselfandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg View Post
Polychords (aka polychord fractions) are two chords superimposed; they are reasonably common usage. They are often signified by a horizontal line between the chords. See attached excerpts to differentiate between the two (Pocket Music Theory, Hal Leonard).
And very common in Jazz
Old 05-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #872
funkycornwall

The slash chords (chords with an unexpected bass note) are extremely common. The polychord option is less common I think as you quickly reach a point where the chord symbol abbreviation becomes too vague to be useful. In such a case it is easier to notate fully instead.
funkycornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #873
kerryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkycornwall View Post
The slash chords (chords with an unexpected bass note) are extremely common. The polychord option is less common I think as you quickly reach a point where the chord symbol abbreviation becomes too vague to be useful. In such a case it is easier to notate fully instead.
"Less common" for anything is usually a matter of the style of music you're used to (you don't see a lot of tablature in classical music but you don't see a lot of notation in online guitar forums). These are actually quite common notations in modern arranging. My preference would be to include the correct way of notating sounds and leave worries about shortcuts to the composer.
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #874
gwok

hey guys,

I'm just wondering if there is a way to optimize the rhythmic grouping here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0ub44m4dp...%20PM.png?dl=0

thanks!
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #875
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
hey guys,

I'm just wondering if there is a way to optimize the rhythmic grouping here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0ub44m4dp...%20PM.png?dl=0

thanks!
Try either:
1) right-click context menu -> minimize ties, or
2) the Action "Automatically voice overlapping notes"
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #876
gwok

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Try either:
1) right-click context menu -> minimize ties, or
2) the Action "Automatically voice overlapping notes"
Perfect, thanks!
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #877
michaeltonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
I was wondering, if there could be options to customize hot keys, or just pre-established hot keys for everything.

Sibelius has in my opinion the perfect setup for hot keys. A specific key that makes a note sharp or flat. Pressing 'A' gives you an 'A' note (closest octave to whatever your last note was). B gives a B, C gives a C etc.

CTRL Up - shifts a note up an octave, CTRL Down for down an octave.

Shift T - Brings up the transpose menu, transposes the selection.

Left-Right selects the previous or next note.

For me this is so important, but maybe it's a lot of work to implement. I wish I could program; I'd do it for you
I'm also used to working in Sibelius, and I love its implementations for typing in notes. I'm also not a fan of AVID, so I'm ultra-excited to switch to using REAPER notation!

Much of what you want is assignable with action keys, and I've started to mess around with making it as Sibelius-y as possible. Earlier in this thread, Schwa gave some good tips for actions to search for. reddiesel41264 also seems to be working on some customizations for Sibelius users. I'd love to see those (hint, hint!

On a side note, what's the easiest way to change note velocity in notation view? It would be amazing to be able to drag the top of the note and pull velovity up or down, as in the regular midi editor. Maybe I just haven't found where to set that up.

Thanks schwa for this amazing work! Thanks you other forum-dwellers for your hard work! This is a game changer for me!
michaeltonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:49 AM   #878
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltonight View Post
what's the easiest way to change note velocity in notation view? It would be amazing to be able to drag the top of the note and pull velocity up or down, as in the regular midi editor.
Alt+drag up or down on the note, by default.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:11 AM   #879
michaeltonight

Fantastic. Thanks! This is a huuuuuge improvement over rewiring REAPER and Sibelius together.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #880
michaeltonight

In my quest to loosely mimic Sibelius' note-entry method, I'd like to enter a note and have it be the only note selected. I was about to make custom actions like "deselect all notes - insert note at nearest 'A'", but I can't find an action for deselecting all notes except as a mouse modifier. Am I overlooking something simple?