COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > General Discussion > General Discussion (aka spam trap)

Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
for
Human being with feelings

Default Well known songs - where can i find their separate tracks?

sorry about the unclear title

i just want to know if i can find the tracks as they were recorded somehow

want to see how a professional songs look like in reaper

and see how they produce those sounds on vocals...etc

thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
Coachz

don't go there. that's a malware site

Coachz Repo
Old 04-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
JHA

You could always ask the studios/record labels that recorded the songs if they would lend the multitrack tapes to you.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
SaxMidiMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHA View Post
You could always ask the studios/record labels that recorded the songs if they would lend the multitrack tapes to you.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! That's really funny...hahahahahaha!
Almost as funny as the question!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
for

whats funny about it
Old 09-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Fabian

Check out this page http://www.cambridge-mt.com/MikeSenior.htm
Lots of good stuff there, and somewhere there you will find links to Reaper projects of more or less professional stuff.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
danfuerth

I have several of those since I do live work with backing tracks, however I will say that they are very expensive to buy. I have sometimes had to go the "darkside" route and get them through the dark channels of the net

I have several 80's songs that you would say is this how they sound recorded dry? Indeed.

I am tracking down the 1987 U2 joshua tree multitrack ( very hard to get)

Someone sent me the Still haven't found track multitrack, lol what a joke. seriously it sounds pathetic, exactly like a normal garage band sounds like albeit with good players and timing. I have been telling people for a long time that the Studio mixers and the hardware used is what makes you sound PRO.

If you listen to the multitrack for Still havent found, I can record those tracks in my basement and it will sound identical even using crappy mics. Comparing the Multitrack to the final CD is another story since I do not have the outboard gear needed, so again will never sound like the original

You can be a great singer, a great bassist, a great guitarist, a great drummer. But unless your tracks go through a $200,000 mixer your work will sound like like crap, like it was record in a room.

Most of the Joshua tree songs were recorded and premixed in a house ( not in a studio) and it was already good mixer the AMEK console. If you listen to these tracks you will laugh your ass off. No offence it sounds like an amateur band playing.

The secret comes after you premix. The tracks go to a Mastering studio where a Big finishing console is used in this case the SSL 4000 G. Since the multitracks are from this SSL 4000 G console you would also think how can this sound like a $100 CONSOLE!!!!( these days).

Why are people so stubborn, mastering is not just levels, A mastering studio can also Remix ( like the Joshua Tree) and then Master.

However with these multitracks they are dry, so you don't get to hear the tracks going through the outboard hardware hooked up to the SSL 4000 G as that is the Real Mixing comes from which then gets mastered.

Seriously record a 4 track set, send it off to Steve Lillywhite and he will run those tracks through his multimillion dollar studio, and what he sends back is out of another world.

Now send him a $100 mixer and see what he does... You get my point now if he can't do shit how can you!!!

Last edited by danfuerth; 09-21-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
timlloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
I have several of those since I do live work with backing tracks, however I will say that they are very expensive to buy. I have sometimes had to go the "darkside" route and get them through the dark channels of the net
So you're using illegal copies of someone else's IP to make money for yourself in a public arena?

:-|
Old 09-22-2012, 03:30 AM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
So you're using illegal copies of someone else's IP to make money for yourself in a public arena?

:-|
While I see the irony there as well, having too much respect for IP is arguably even worse than having too little respect for it. Those are not necessarily 'illegal copies', and playing someone else's recordings and/or performing someone else's songs in public may be covered under a blanket license between a collecting society and the venue (compensating the producers / authors as usual).

OP: perhaps check out some of those games where you have to play along with the music, since they often come with (simplified) multi-tracks (although often not of studio quality). Sometimes you can rip them out quite easily (and legally). It won't show you exactly how those tracks were produced (as you don't get to see which effects were used etc.), but playing around with such multi-track recordings can definitely have some educational value.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Check out this page http://www.cambridge-mt.com/MikeSenior.htm
Lots of good stuff there, and somewhere there you will find links to Reaper projects of more or less professional stuff.
I've learned a lot by reading Mike Senior's stuff. His Mix Rescue feature in Sound on Sound magazine is an excellent learning tool. It's available free online although the most recent issues require a subscription. However, lots of good stuff in the older issues.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #11
timlloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
While I see the irony there as well, having too much respect for IP is arguably even worse than having too little respect for it. Those are not necessarily 'illegal copies', and playing someone else's recordings and/or performing someone else's songs in public may be covered under a blanket license between a collecting society and the venue (compensating the producers / authors as usual).
Yes, they may be ... you're the lawyer though I'm undeniably not as clued in to the subtleties.

Though it's possibile that there are no subtleties in this case - we don't know.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
albeit with good players and timing.
^Everyone always thinks what matters most is something other than this.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #13
danfuerth

LOL indeed, for me the timing in music is everything as it leads to easy mixing, easier to put dynamics and easier workflow

what I have come to realize is this: The mixer you use and the microphones you use are the 2 most critical parts of audio recording/mixing.

I still think that mixers are still way overpriced these days.

There have been many monopolies broken recently. The software monopolies are finished these days. Avid loosing credibility in audio and video, Apple loosing credibility by the pro users due to focusing on phones, and the daw world with dozens of DAW out there to choose from.

On the latest monopolies to be broken is the Hollywood ( slutwood) strangled hold on colour correction software tools. Some software companies that used to be hardware based moved to software based and sell directly to your mom and dad and told hollywood to F OFF. About time this monopoly was broken.

The issue I have with IP is a very basic one, it stifles competition, it keeps products stale for years and it creates monopolies!!!.

Honestly are we human beings dumber than 100 years ago?

Simple IP problem : I buy a camera, and I take it appart slowly and see what they are using ( like I do to many items as soon as I buy them LOL) and do an inventory of parts, switches and wiring, this way I can see of some mods are possible

why am I not allowed to look inside this product? that is not IP!!! to look inside. The issue with IP propaganda is it actually has worked as you can see people throw out products that can be salvaged for parts.

It is becoming harder these days to find anyone that can fix anything.
Cut wire? f*** it get a new one. SPLICE IT TOGETHER IF YOU CAN AND USE MULTIMETER!!! they are only $4 these days!!!!!!!! a little black tape and set to go.

With all the tools we have these days we are in fact more dumber than someone from 1980.

Last edited by danfuerth; 09-22-2012 at 07:40 AM.