Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
jawjatek
Human being with feelings

Default explain send/receive routing UI?

Maybe I missed it but there is no explanation of the send/receive UI in the track routing window in the manual, like on page 35,i.e.:

Audio CH1-2 ==> CH1-2 MIDI All ==> All

For a "send" (and/or receive), is the first audio the source and the second the destination?
jawjatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
spikemullings

You are correct. I'd have a look at pp. 227-234 of the excellent User Guide for more information and some worked examples.

The basic point is that each track can have up to 64 channels which can be routed pretty much anywhere. I'm only just beginning to get a clue as to what purpose this witchcraft may be put, but Nicholas' examples in the user guide are a great start.

(If you've not already done so , download the user guide into your Reaper folder and you can access it from the the help menu in Reaper
spikemullings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
jawjatek

Thanks. I figured it out (did some side-chaining and ducking) but wanted to reassure myself that is how it works. The manual is nice, albeit somewhat terse, and I do appreciate it.
jawjatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Kearley

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread... But this is exactly what I've been looking for... a decent summary of routing.

pp. 227-234 of the user guide doesn't seem to be related tho. Am I looking at the wrong guide? (or maybe it's been updated since)

http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_User_Guide
Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
Lokasenna

That's the right guide, but it's been updated a fair bit since this thread was started so I imagine the page numbers are completely wrong.

Using the 2.5 Guide:

p36 - Track Routing Window
p52 - FX Busses
p90 - Folders, Sends, and Busses
p337 - A whole bunch of routing examples

Hopefully that covers everything you need.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Kearley

Thanks! There was some helpful info there..

I guess the original post here sums up my question... That manual IS helpful, but doesn't quite lay it out like jawjatek asked.

More experimenting may help tho!

Thanks again;
D
Old 04-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Lokasenna

If you were more specific, I could give a better answer.

Did you just want a rundown of everything in the I/O window?

"Master/Parent Send"
This controls whether the track will send any output to either its Parent track (if it's in a folder) or the Master track (if it's not).

I use this, for example, if I'm taking a direct guitar recording and splitting it to multiple amplifier plugins. A tuner, a bit of EQ, maybe a comp and an overdrive on the first track, with aux sends to my two amp/cabinet tracks. I don't want to be hearing the non-amplified guitar, so I uncheck this box.

The volume and pan faders below that should be obvious - they're just the track volume and pan.

Track Channels
As mentioned above, each track can have up to 64 separate channels of audio running through it. Each stream is completely independent, and plugins can listen from and output to any combination you want.

Sidechain compression is the most obvious example - say you want your vocals to "duck" the mix any time you sing, so there's nothing crowding your voice. Many compressors have a sidechain jack, so that you can use an external signal to compress the one that's running through it. By adding a third or fourth channel to the track, you create a space for the vocals to jump in without interfering with the main signal.

Sends/Receives

Sends and receives allow tracks to communicate with each other, and let you have more complicated routing than just a series of folders within folders. You can work with them both on the track they send from (the Sends column), and the track they send to (Receives). If I went to my Snare track in the picture above, it would have a Send to Jamstix NY with the same settings.

Most of the controls are the exact same as those on the track panel. Mute, Phase, Mono/Stereo, Volume, Pan, etc, they should be obvious.

Below those are boxes for audio and MIDI channels. On this track, they serve no purpose because I'm only using two channels. In the example above, though, this is how we'd send the Vocals to channels three/four instead. You could also send FROM channels three/four in a track to somewhere else. Maybe you want to take a feed from the vocals before they hit your reverb plugin - you'd set a plugin prior to that one to output on three/four, and then use the Send accordingly.

Above the pan fader is a menu box labelled (in the picture) "Post-Fader (Post-Pan)". This gives you some control over where in a track the send is taken from. The options are:

Post-Fader (Post-Pan): Very end of the track's processing, after volume, pan, and all your effects.

Pre-Fader (Post-FX): After your effects, but before the volume and pan. Useful if you want to adjust the original track without affecting anything on the track it's sending to.

Pre-FX: The very first thing in the track. If you want to duplicate a signal and send it somewhere else, this is an easy way to do it.

Audio/MIDI Outputs
I hope the name is self-explanatory. These allow you to use your various hardware outputs independently of the master track. I only have two outputs to work with, so it doesn't help me, but there are a billion things you can do if you have more. A custom headphone mix for someone while they record, for instance - make a track for the mix, create a bunch of Receives from the other tracks you want to be hearing, and adjust the send controls like they were your main mix. This is a perfect example of when to use a Pre-Fader (Post-FX) send - you don't to be destroying the headphone mix just because you're adjusting the main mix.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 04-30-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Kearley

Nice reply!

...basically, the original post is what I was looking for:

I'll read your reply tho!
---->

For a "send" (and/or receive), is the first audio the source and the second the destination?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
Lokasenna

Yup. Sending from 1/2 --> 1/2.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:29 AM   #10
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearley View Post
Nice reply!

...basically, the original post is what I was looking for:

I'll read your reply tho!
---->

Yep, as Lokasenna said.

If you set the number of channels on the sending or receving track to, say, 16, you could also have routing such as:

Audio CH7/8 ==> CH1/2 MIDI None ==> All sends the audio on channels 7 and 8 to channels 1 and 2 on the receiving track and does not send any MIDI

Audio CH3/4 ==> CH9 MIDI None ==> All sends the audio on channels 3 and 4 to channel 9 on the receiving track and does not send any MIDI

Audio CH1/2 ==> CH11/12 MIDI None ==> All sends the audio
on channels 1 and 2 to channels 11 and 12 on the receiving track and does not send any MIDI

Audio None ==> CH1/2 MIDI All ==> All does not send any audio but sends all MIDI messages without changing anything

Audio None ==> CH1/2 MIDI 2 ==> All does not send any audio but sends only those MIDI messages which are on channel 2

Audio None ==> CH1/2 MIDI All ==> 4 does not send any audio but sends all MIDI messages changing their channel number to 4

Audio None ==> CH1/2 MIDI 10 ==> 2 does not send any audio but sends only those MIDI messages on channel 10 changing their channel number to 2
Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
Kearley

OK, now I study... Thanks so much!