Old 09-09-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
cubic13
Human being with feelings

Default RE[a]DD...

Hi, all

This theme has a history a little checkered ; its initial creator, Cal, is no longer being able to finalize it. Cincikat69 has then worked on it in several directions, as the theme was rather at a mockup state than a functional one when he received it. He then had to interrupt its work for personal reasons, so, with his agreement, hopi has passed three months ago the project to me and asked me to take a look on all this and see if something usable could be obtained from it.

So, here it is : a kind of 'vintage' theme which follows (more or less...) the REDD mixers look, these being used fifty years ago in Abbey Road studios... As much as I could, I tried to keep the graphic design of the theme original conceptor when editing the already existing graphic files. Then, I added several other ones, which were missing, in the same spirit and rewritten completely the rtconfig.txt file.

In it, you'll find VCA/Group layouts, horizontal meters ones and a fully redimensionable transport panel. Beside this, and more technically, both the mixer faders and meters have been calibrated for a -72/+6 dB range. I didn't use the version 5 statement in rtconfig.txt file header, as I think that this theme works fine with the way Reaper, previously to 5.xx versions, was tinting the tcp panels background while letting several appearance options still available to the user in the 'Preferences' window. As usual in my themes, I added to the zip file four toolbars (.ReaperMenu extension) which should be put in the \MenuSets subfolder of your Reaper installation then loaded with the 'Options-Customize menus/toolbars...' command.

At the end, I would really like to thank hopi for his continual support and suggestions done during the development of this theme and the test phase that followed.

Let me know what could be misbehaving and also any suggestion to improve it...

The link : https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2054/RE%5Ba%5DDD.zip

WARNING : this theme will probably be difficult to use with a vertical resolution less than 1200 pixels.

Last edited by cubic13; 12-23-2017 at 02:42 AM. Reason: v 1.30 update.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:40 PM   #2
hopi

Hey Cubic... thanks for the kind words.... IMHO you deserve a huge bundle of credit for bringing this to the Reaper community...

It's been a journey!!!
Old 09-10-2017, 02:15 AM   #3
pyerbass

Wonderfull work!
I think it just misses à tes shadows here and there to have a coherent shaping.
If you have shadows under the buttons then you need shadows under the pan knob.
pyerbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:14 AM   #4
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyerbass View Post
Wonderfull work!
I think it just misses à tes shadows here and there to have a coherent shaping.
If you have shadows under the buttons then you need shadows under the pan knob.
I see shadows there, so what are you talking about?
Old 09-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #5
cubic13

Thanks to you all !

Few comments...

@pyerbass
As hopi said, there are indeed shadows on the pan/width knobs but they aren't pronounced enough, compared to the buttons, I admit. So, I'll try to make them more evident for a next update...

Beside this, another thing that I would like to correct is the brightness of the meters in the tcp panels. Much too bright, in my view, compared to the mcp ones. Another correction to do...

@Retro Audio Enthusiast & billybk1
Yes, this setting must be put as you show it. But also both the 'Meter minimum value' and the 'max value' ones should be setted respectively at -72 and +6dB. Beside this, I always had all these settings at the values above, so I thought that these were the default ones. Maybe I'm wrong...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:43 AM   #6
ivansc

Been itching to try this ever since those first mockups showed up. Oh and well done to all of you that were involved.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:16 AM   #7
cincikat69

"A journey"... yes, indeed, a bit of one. It seems to have turned out well...so, I guess we did alright. (~;
Old 09-10-2017, 03:06 AM   #8
Retro Audio Enthusiast

Fantastic theme! I absolutely love this. Great work!

How do we calibrate the mixer faders and meters for the -72/+6 dB range? Obviously, I'm at default and it's showing -6 on the faders at 0db. Thanks.

UPDATE: got it. For anyone else wondering how:

Last edited by Retro Audio Enthusiast; 09-10-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:14 AM   #9
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post
Yes, this is a fantastic looking theme! Kudos to cubic13!

Quote:
How do we calibrate the mixer faders and meters for the -72/+6 dB range? Obviously, I'm at default and it's showing -6 on the faders at 0db. Thanks.

Yes, I noticed that too. My Master fader is set to the -6db line even though the actual level is 0db. A bit confusing.....would like to have both fader and actual volume level match @ 0db. I thought there was maybe a setting I had changed, but I checked the REAPER default 5 theme and it shows 0db on the master fader. Switch back to the RE[a]DD theme and the fader shows -6db again.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:30 AM   #10
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post

UPDATE: got it. For anyone else wondering how:

Yes, that seems to have fixed it. I wonder why this needed to be changed from the default that works with all the other themes I have.
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote