Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
enujemirp
Human being with feelings

Default what's the coolest gadget that you own?

doesn't have to be a gadget that has anything to do with reaper or music production either.

any type of gadget or gizmo keeping you entertained?
enujemirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #2
zeekat

That'd be the fridge, obv. Don't think I'll ever get bored.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:50 AM   #3
Zargon the Destroyer

Coffee machine.
Zargon the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:03 AM   #4
Glennbo

One werd . . .

Flirc

https://flirc.tv/more/flirc-usb

I can run REAPER from across the room sitting at my drums using the remote control that came with the HDTV I use as my monitor. Flirc lets you use any IR remote and it's programming software lets you assign keystrokes to buttons on your remote. Since it looks like a USB QWERTY keyboard to the computer, no software or driver is needed. The other cool thing is once you've programmed it like you want, all the data is in the Flirc dongle so you could take your remote and dongle to another system and it works with no driver.

Last edited by Glennbo; 04-20-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #5
Cosmic Pig

A Leslie 122 with the amp removed so it's just a speaker cab. It doesn't work everywhere but when it does it does well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHS8NJqc1lw

I also have a 1976 Les Paul Custom with an EMG powered pickup that sounds wicked through my 50 watt Marshall with a 1936 2/12 cab.

I know guitars don't exactly fit the category, but the guitar sounds gorgeous yet is worth zero dollars because it has no serial number and is very badly painted. Not hot, got ripped off from me and when I got it back from idiot who stole it he had burned the serial off it. I just get a kick outa using such a fine instrument knowing it's technically worthless. What the valuable lesson might be I have no idea, but I assure you it's probably something.

That flirc thing looks pretty cool.
Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:46 AM   #6
jean-yves

The dog waste poop-bag container attached to the leash of my dog.
Invaluable.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:14 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Pig View Post
A Leslie 122 with the amp removed so it's just a speaker cab. It doesn't work everywhere but when it does it does well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHS8NJqc1lw

I also have a 1976 Les Paul Custom with an EMG powered pickup that sounds wicked through my 50 watt Marshall with a 1936 2/12 cab.

I know guitars don't exactly fit the category, but the guitar sounds gorgeous yet is worth zero dollars because it has no serial number and is very badly painted. Not hot, got ripped off from me and when I got it back from idiot who stole it he had burned the serial off it. I just get a kick outa using such a fine instrument knowing it's technically worthless. What the valuable lesson might be I have no idea, but I assure you it's probably something.

That flirc thing looks pretty cool.
I even use the Flirc with my remote when I'm playing guitar and sitting at my mix desk. I've got the number zero programmed in REAPER to do a sequence of "Stop, Undo Recording, Rewind to the last start position, and Punch back into Record", so the moment I don't like what I'm recording I can hit "0" on the remote and am instantly trying again. I call it the "Do Over" function.

Interesting you would mention the Leslie.

In just in the last few days I've been making up a virtual amp using Guitar Rig and I put a damper pedal controlled Leslie on it. It takes two tracks because the Leslie control has midi for it's input where the Guitar Rig track has audio.

Earlier this morning I sketched out a new song using it.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:57 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Liftin' View Post
The Fleshlight.
.FTW.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:44 PM   #9
jpanderson80

Quote:
The Fleshlight.
LOL I wasn't ready for that one.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:53 PM   #10
lunker

Quote:
The Fleshlight.
I learned a new word today!
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:09 PM   #11
Cosmic Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I even use the Flirc with my remote when I'm playing guitar and sitting at my mix desk. I've got the number zero programmed in REAPER to do a sequence of "Stop, Undo Recording, Rewind to the last start position, and Punch back into Record", so the moment I don't like what I'm recording I can hit "0" on the remote and am instantly trying again. I call it the "Do Over" function.

Interesting you would mention the Leslie.

In just in the last few days I've been making up a virtual amp using Guitar Rig and I put a damper pedal controlled Leslie on it. It takes two tracks because the Leslie control has midi for it's input where the Guitar Rig track has audio.

Earlier this morning I sketched out a new song using it.
I'd like to hear it when it's done.

Re: flirc, I've been using my tablet or phone with the reaper control hooked up through wifi... works pretty well but flirc sounds easier. Something always connected sitting there ready to go.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:21 PM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:

I'll definitely put it up in the songs section when it's completed, and with a mention to the Guitar Rig amp, because I almost never use modeled amps, but I got an ADA8200 a couple of days ago to expand my UMC1820 so I have front panel inputs to burn now.

Re: flirc, I've been using my tablet or phone with the reaper control hooked up through wifi... works pretty well but flirc sounds easier. Something always connected sitting there ready to go.
I've tried using my iPhone but you have to look at it to hit the buttons. Using a regular remote with buttons you can feel, I can grab the remote out of my shirt pocket and hit my "Do Over" button without looking, and get the remote back in my shirt pocket, before I have to come in on the drums.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:52 PM   #13
maxdembo

My thought to MIDI hammock, obviously.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #14
Philbo King

One I have had for several years, use a lot, and have barely tapped into its potential:
https://reverb.com/p/roland-gr-33

Awesome for recording...
Old 04-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #15
jean-yves

I just extracted my JMP1 Marshall preamp from its rack.
Fed reaper with TPA ignite power amp and a goor IR Cab.
Just singing with my old 76 les Paul Deluxe.

Not as practical as the dog waste poop-bag container attached to the leash of my dog. But quite cool.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:06 PM   #16
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
One I have had for several years, use a lot, and have barely tapped into its potential:

Awesome for recording...
I'd love to have a GR system, but I wish they would make a simple pickup to midi out system with no built in synth I won't use.

In the 80s I had one of these,

https://reverb.com/item/10048608-suz...r-not-a-keytar

and it played surprisingly well. Wish I hadn't sold it now.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:50 PM   #17
fred garvin

Quote:
One werd . . .

Flirc

https://flirc.tv/more/flirc-usb

I can run REAPER from across the room sitting at my drums using the remote control that came with the HDTV I use as my monitor. Flirc lets you use any IR remote and it's programming software lets you assign keystrokes to buttons on your remote.....
OMG WTW you just won life, Reaper, and all the Internets at once. I spent a lot of time and effort setting up basically what you describe with a tablet and OSC and this just obviously slays it for 90+% I'll guess of my usage.

So this doesn't interfere with your system keyboard? And so how's the sensitivity? Do you need a dead straight line of sight to the front of the unit, or is it more forgiving? Not that that should be a problem, 'cause you can just put it on a short cable and put it anywhere it needs to be, I'm guessing?

And it's even cheaper (well, I'm guessing, at $20) than y'alls fancy knob polishers.

I looove the Leslie vibe for guitar too. I have the IK stuff so I like for instance a high gain amp but at moderate settings through a thick 4x12 in parallel with a AC30 type amp with the Leslie, man that's some tasty tone there.

Last edited by fred garvin; 04-20-2021 at 11:05 PM.
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:52 AM   #18
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
OMG WTW you just won life, Reaper, and all the Internets at once. I spent a lot of time and effort setting up basically what you describe with a tablet and OSC and this just obviously slays it for 90+% I'll guess of my usage.
Anything you can do with a keyboard in REAPER you can do with a Flirc and any IR remote.

Quote:
So this doesn't interfere with your system keyboard? And so how's the sensitivity? Do you need a dead straight line of sight to the front of the unit, or is it more forgiving? Not that that should be a problem, 'cause you can just put it on a short cable and put it anywhere it needs to be, I'm guessing?
It doesn't affect the real keyboard at all, and the sensitivity is such that I can point my remote away from the Flirc and it still reads the remote. I used a USB extender cable to put mine up high on my desk, below my monitor because my computer is tucked way under the desk.

Quote:
And it's even cheaper (well, I'm guessing, at $20) than y'alls fancy knob polishers.

I looove the Leslie vibe for guitar too. I have the IK stuff so I like for instance a high gain amp but at moderate settings through a thick 4x12 in parallel with a AC30 type amp with the Leslie, man that's some tasty tone there.
I played in a band with a guitarist who used both a Fender Twin Reverb and a Leslie 147. When we'd play songs like "One Man Band" by Three Dog Night, it sounded totally legit. I used to have a Cordovox rotating speaker cabinet hooked up to black face Fender amp top in my old studio, so when I started messing with Guitar Rig I had to add a Leslie.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #19
sondust

+1 from another Roland MIDI guitar fan (GR-1)!

Quote:

Awesome for recording...
sondust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:13 AM   #20
vdubreeze

Flirc does need to update their site, though. Went to see about OS X compatibility.

"Coming in 2017".

Guess I have to dive in and see what happened
Old 04-21-2021, 10:45 AM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Flirc does need to update their site, though. Went to see about OS X compatibility.

"Coming in 2017".

Guess I have to dive in and see what happened
On the software downloads for Flirc they have a Mac file. The only software needed for a Flirc is the programming software that stores everything in the dongle. Once it's been programmed, it will work on any device that can use a standard USB keyboard. In essence you could program it on a Windows laptop and then use it on a Mac, but they have a native Mac version of the programming software now, and you're right, they should have updated or removed the coming in 2017 part.

The programming software is dead simple. You click a key or key combination on screen that you want to bind with a button on your remote, then you press the button on the remote and it's done.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #22
Glennbo

Quote:
I put a sample of it up for a guitarist friend who wanted to hear what the Leslie effect sounded like. Drums are a scratch track of Superior and will be replaced with acoustic drums later.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=14234757
Old 04-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #23
Cosmic Pig

Quote:
I put a sample of it up for a guitarist friend who wanted to hear what the Leslie effect sounded like. Drums are a scratch track of Superior and will be replaced with acoustic drums later.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=14234757
Sounds cool, but I haven't really heard any of the pedal or plugin Leslie emulators that sound as good as the real deal. There's a lot of detail with over tones being thrown around from the spin.

Keys wise, the old no longer supported Native Instruments B4 is close, but doesn't do guitars of course. If I run a Nord through my Fender into the Leslie it sounds honest if not exactly accurate. Mojo before accuracy lol.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #24
Glennbo

Quote:
Sounds cool, but I haven't really heard any of the pedal or plugin Leslie emulators that sound as good as the real deal. There's a lot of detail with over tones being thrown around from the spin.

Keys wise, the old no longer supported Native Instruments B4 is close, but doesn't do guitars of course. If I run a Nord through my Fender into the Leslie it sounds honest if not exactly accurate. Mojo before accuracy lol.
Of all Leslie sims I've heard Native Instruments sounds the closest to me. Like you say, none of them sound like the real thing, even my old Cordovox speaker cabinet sounded more real. It was one of these.

https://reverb.com/item/6399512-cord...ghter-and-cool

I have and still use frequently the original B4 Organ from Native Instruments. I use my Akai MPD26 controller so I can play and record drawbars with my left hand while playing the midi keyboard with my right. The last group of drawbars on the right are controlled by the six faders and inside three knobs on the Akai.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/16/img...205_806104.jpg

The Leslie that comes with Native Instruments Guitar Rig sounds like the same coding they used in the B4, but with fewer controls.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #25
bFooz

I own/used to own these:

bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:49 PM   #26
ashcat_lt

I'm gonna skip the question because that kind of hyperbole freaks me out, but...

Roland has sold a couple of different devices that just convert the hex pickup to MIDI without built in synth. I bought a GI10 used back in 1997. The pickup that came with it never worked very well, but I replaced that about 9 years ago now, and use it pretty regularly. They had at least one more recent version of the same thing, and there's a couple other companies that make similar boxes out there now, too.

Also, my dad moved to FL this past fall. Now, he left several Leslies and a couple of Hammonds at the place he was sharing with my brother, but before he left, he yanked just the horn rotor assembly (the board it's attached to, the whole hinky mechanical thing with the motors and stuff, but not the amp) out and brought it to my place. Said it works great except the driver is blown. So me, I got myself a little electret lavelier mic, jammed it up in the throat of the thing where the driver should shoot, and as soon a I get motivated enough to build an enclosure and wire up the motors, I'm going to have a spinning microphone that I can just stick in front of whatever I want. Early tests (spinning it by hand) were promising.

Also, anything FLIRC can do, VNC from my phone can better. We do also have the whole Reaper Web Remote thing. I mean, everybody's always losing TV remotes, how can that be helpful?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:56 PM   #27
Philbo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondust View Post
+1 from another Roland MIDI guitar fan (GR-1)!
Wow, that goes back quite a way...
It's cool you still use it.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #28
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Roland has sold a couple of different devices that just convert the hex pickup to MIDI without built in synth. I bought a GI10 used back in 1997. The pickup that came with it never worked very well, but I replaced that about 9 years ago now, and use it pretty regularly. They had at least one more recent version of the same thing, and there's a couple other companies that make similar boxes out there now, too.
Dammit Ashcat, I did not need to know that Roland has made soundless hex pickup to midi out interfaces like I would possibly want to buy!

Quote:
Also, my dad moved to FL this past fall. Now, he left several Leslies and a couple of Hammonds at the place he was sharing with my brother, but before he left, he yanked just the horn rotor assembly (the board it's attached to, the whole hinky mechanical thing with the motors and stuff, but not the amp) out and brought it to my place. Said it works great except the driver is blown. So me, I got myself a little electret lavelier mic, jammed it up in the throat of the thing where the driver should shoot, and as soon a I get motivated enough to build an enclosure and wire up the motors, I'm going to have a spinning microphone that I can just stick in front of whatever I want. Early tests (spinning it by hand) were promising.
THAT, is a COOL idea!!! Listen to the world from the other side of Doppler shift.

Quote:
Also, anything FLIRC can do, VNC from my phone can better. We do also have the whole Reaper Web Remote thing. I mean, everybody's always losing TV remotes, how can that be helpful?
But can you operate REAPER using VNC without looking at it? That's what I like about using a remote with raised buttons. I usually take 3-5 stabs at knocking the acoustic drum track out in one contiguous recording, and being able to feel the bottom row of transport buttons make a big difference for me to quickly grab the remote, and hit the record or "Do Over" buttons.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:20 PM   #29
ashcat_lt

Quote:
But can you operate REAPER using VNC without looking at it?
Oh, I suppose not, but I think I'd just put the whole thing in loop record mode and then it's not an issue.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:24 PM   #30
moliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
My thought to MIDI hammock, obviously.
I was about to comment about my modular EEG to CV/MIDI brain interface (http://www.sound-machines.it/product...ace-neurorack/) but now I'm super interested in this hammock of yours...
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:29 PM   #31
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Oh, I suppose not, but I think I'd just put the whole thing in loop record mode and then it's not an issue.
Yeah, but as soon as I fuck up I want to start another try. If I did loop recording I would have to run through the whole song before getting to take another stab at it. The longer I wait to start a new try at getting through the song without any clams, the higher the probability that I'll lose the mojo.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:43 AM   #32
Cosmic Pig

Quote:
Of all Leslie sims I've heard Native Instruments sounds the closest to me. Like you say, none of them sound like the real thing, even my old Cordovox speaker cabinet sounded more real. It was one of these.

https://reverb.com/item/6399512-cord...ghter-and-cool

I have and still use frequently the original B4 Organ from Native Instruments. I use my Akai MPD26 controller so I can play and record drawbars with my left hand while playing the midi keyboard with my right. The last group of drawbars on the right are controlled by the six faders and inside three knobs on the Akai.

https://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/16/img...205_806104.jpg

The Leslie that comes with Native Instruments Guitar Rig sounds like the same coding they used in the B4, but with fewer controls.
Coolio and coolio, but I gotta say, your desk is too clean and shiny. I have to shove things out of the way to type lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desk3.jpg (40.8 KB, 91 views)
Old 04-22-2021, 01:05 PM   #33
Glennbo

Quote:
Coolio and coolio, but I gotta say, your desk is too clean and shiny. I have to shove things out of the way to type lol.
Dual coffee cups don't count. The other stuff, yeah maybe.

BTW, with the original B4 Organ there is B4fx.dll that is the Leslie portion from the B4 Organ as a VST audio effect. I compared it earlier today with the Leslie that's included with Guitar Rig and they sound pretty much the same. My guess is they already had the code for a Leslie simulation, and just used it in another product.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:03 AM   #34
sondust

It's great old stuff, I actually bought a 2nd one as backup. The slight pitch imperfections of using a guitar to play synth imparts a different character than a keyboard which I'm a big fan of. Trying the MIDI guitar VST these days as well, but haven't fully gotten the hang of it yet.

Quote:
Wow, that goes back quite a way...
It's cool you still use it.
sondust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:14 AM   #35
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliere View Post
I was about to comment about my modular EEG to CV/MIDI brain interface (http://www.sound-machines.it/product...ace-neurorack/) but now I'm super interested in this hammock of yours...
https://web.archive.org/web/20011203...w.hamco.co.uk/

Actually, I think my Aeropress is my most used 'gadget'
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:58 PM   #36
Leo777

How many awesome gadgets here! I haven't even seen some of them I don't have anything extraordinary to tell about, but I used to have a great Microsoft keyboard, I guess, it was the most comfortable keyboard I had (before my little son broke it and spilled juice on it). Also, I've recently switched to iPhone (I used to have only Android phones). I should say, I'm very pleased with it. By the way, speaking about spilling water on the gadgets, I discovered a Clear Wave app. I don't know exactly how this water eject application works, but my wife has already checked it out after dropping her iPhone in the water and it really makes the phone sound clear.

Last edited by Leo777; 10-27-2021 at 01:35 AM.
Leo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:31 AM   #37
Dr Bob

I still have a Casio Digital Horn, a DH-100 (fixed the squeal!) and also a Roland Pitch-to-MIDI CP-40.

dB

Last edited by Dr Bob; 10-27-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:58 AM   #38
DeathByGuitar

My Axe-FX III. Worth every penny.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:47 AM   #39
Glennbo

I wanna change mine to the M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini keyboard controller I got yesterday for my Raspberry Pi.

It's the coolest gadget now!

Last edited by Glennbo; 08-14-2022 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:18 AM   #40
chip mcdonald

Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro. "TV station functions" HDMI switcher on my desk, invaluable for online guitar lessons: