Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 06-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
deeb
Human being with feelings

Default req: Item/AI/envelopes Selection Criteria should be rethought Or Optional!

As like when i select an Item and then select another Item, previous Item gets unselected - unless i pressed a modifier "add to selection".

Selecting different element like Item/AI/Envelopes should happen the same: When i select an Item and then select an AI, Item should be deselected - unless i pressed a modifier "add to selection".

Also when i have 2 Items selected and i press delete i expect both to be deleted.

With this in mind, in user perspective (at least in my perspective) same should happen independently if what is selected is AI, Item or Envelope point, and only this way we have fast control (and memory) to perform actions on the selected Elements once.

Personally I can't see benefit otherwise (current behaviour) but since the world is huge and i can only see my narrow perspective, maybe this could be optional?

I also guess this is a big thing, and i don't expect this in a next pre release just around the corner but as concept could be thought for the next major release.

This is not a big feature name but has huge impact on DAW experience.

edit: i guess current behaviour is a reflex of the amazing scripting possibilities that reaper allows and i also guess it's very complicated managing all this complexity, but it doesn't mean it wouldn't be ideal.

Last edited by deeb; 06-14-2021 at 12:14 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:52 AM   #2
mtk

Similar situation is with tracks vs. envelope lanes. It was the most confusing thing for me as a new user.

I love an elastic approach to the tracks in reaper - no differentiation between audio tracks vs. midi tracks. It was natural for me that envelopes tracks should behave the same (or as similar as possible). But they aren't.
It's unbelievable that I can't change the order of envelope lanes (which was requested so many times and years!?)
It's crazy that In some cases you need 2 separate keyboard shortcuts/actions/mouse modifiers to do the same thing with AI vs. MI, or with tracks vs. envelope lane.

I believe some cases needs this differentiation so it's good that it is available. But on the other hand it's the same level of importance (or even higher) to be able to have things simplified or unified as much as possible.

And it's a pain that you cant unify it all in 100%. Of course you can unify some of actions, but not all of them which is super frustrating considering the time you need to spent to understand and setup reaper - your shortcuts, actions, mouse modifiers, toolbars, etc. - then after having 70% done you find out that you can't do it all consistently and you need to get used to some strange behaviors or shortcuts to do some basic things included in this 30% area.

Another example are mouse modifiers. In some areas you can use ex. single LMB click or 2x click, in other areas you can't. In some areas you can use certain functions/actions in other you can't.

It would be perfect if all tracks, lanes and items behave more like in FL Studio - where an item is an item. You can put anything inside. automation, midi notes or audio file. (btw., item containers would be great to combine multiple small items in one bigger. Maybe with reaper flexibility we could put multiple different type of items in one container in the future?)
It should be possible to drag/click the mouse to select them, unselect, etc., like with files in OS - in a tree view of files (which is the view similar to tracks in folders or lanes in tracks are) when you select a file in folder, the folder itself doesn't stays selected, right? Different type of files has different functions, but basic behavior is exactly the same and it is what is naturally expected from UX/UI perspective.

IMO all the tracks/lanes and all items should have as similar behavior as possible. Check Studio One - you can create envelope lane in any place in the project - it's just a track. You can select multiple of them. In reaper you can't select multiple envelopes :S

Reaper needs to be rethought and fixed in some areas. It also needs much more consistency in many areas. What's the point of having the most advanced tool on the market (which I believe reaper with all the extensions and scripts is) if using it is so confusing that you end up on reading manual/forum/google or writing scripts for days instead of making music.
mtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:15 AM   #3
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk View Post
I believe some cases needs this differentiation so it's good that it is available. But on the other hand it's the same level of importance (or even higher) to be able to have things simplified or unified as much as possible.
And it's a pain that you cant unify it all in 100%.
In some areas you can use certain functions/actions in other you can't.
basic behavior is exactly the same and it is what is naturally expected from UX/UI perspective.
In reaper you can't select multiple envelopes :S
Reaper needs to be rethought and fixed in some areas. It also needs much more consistency in many areas. What's the point of having the most advanced tool on the market (which I believe reaper with all the extensions and scripts is) if using it is so confusing that you end up on reading manual/forum/google or writing scripts for days instead of making music.
I agree with everything you said (except comparing with other DAWs).
This is the biggest feature reaper faces/needs (IMO), and has no GUI or big name.

Last edited by deeb; 06-16-2021 at 06:23 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote