Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-16-2019, 09:36 PM   #1
Tone Ranger
Human being with feelings

Default LOVE the new dark mode option in Reaper 6.02.....

.....but holy crap does it ever screw with Reaper's meters, and some plugins (as we were warned it might).

Hope one day this option will be usable, it looks SO good!!!
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:22 AM   #2
Ideosound

Agreed! I love how now you can make your themes way more consistent. Before elements like the top of windows were controlled by the OS. Now, if we theme using colours from the OS dark mode you can achieve a more slick and consistent look across all windows in Reaper.

I'm using a modified version of INQUASAR DARK MATTER that is available on the stash. I've made it less sci-fi and easier to use:

Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
I'm using a modified version of INQUASAR DARK MATTER that is available on the stash. I've made it less sci-fi and easier to use:[/img]
Wow, that looks great! Have you had any issues so far with meters lagging or plugin GUIs lagging??
Old 12-21-2019, 03:43 AM   #4
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
Wow, that looks great! Have you had any issues so far with meters lagging or plugin GUIs lagging??
No, everything seems to run smooth for me, probably even better now Reaper has metal graphics support. I'm using non-standard mac hardware however, so I've got an i7 8700K 3.7Ghz 6 core CPU and AMD Vega 64 8Gb. Shouldn't have any issues with power like that. I think even if you aren't seeing the best results now, should only get better with further release versions.

I haven't tested all of my plugins and synths etc yet, probably a job for the holidays but the essential ones I use every day for work jobs function as normal. If there are issues just disable in the preferences and restart Reaper.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #5
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
If there are issues just disable in the preferences and restart Reaper.
Thanks! Yeah, have had to switch forced dark mode off for now unfortunately.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
vanhaze

I have Dark mode switched on and i am incredibly loving it.

Regarding any performance drop: can't really tell cause i am not running any large demanding Reaper projects atm, i don't experience any performance drop.

Reaper's support for the new OS X Metal graphical environment is problaby an utterly Hooray for many OSX users, regarding graphical performance !

Macbook retina 2015.
OSX 10.14.6.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #7
foxAsteria

Where can I find this option? Mac only preference?
Old 12-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
vanhaze

Yes, AFAIK: Mac only.
And if you do run on mac: check Reaper Prefs > General > Advanced UI System tweaks > Allow 10.14+ Dark Mode.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:27 AM   #9
Ideosound

It's worth restarting Reaper also, and even if you change themes, since I've noticed not all elements of the GUI change straight away. Best to restart to make sure everything has loaded correctly.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:01 PM   #10
MRMJP

It seems like some of the deeper menus are not Dark Mode yet like the plugin selector, or Region Render Matrix...

But overall, Dark Mode is amazing.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:29 AM   #11
Ideosound

Some further dark mode good news is whilst some plugins will break, you can right-click a plugin in the FX browser and run it in bridge mode (under the 'run as' menu on mac) then 'separate process' or 'dedicated process'. It will run as a pop up window (that isn't dark) but it won't crash/hang anymore. Then please report this to manufacturers so hopefully those plugs will get fixed natively.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #12
thenamelessOne

Default Plugin UI tweak

Hey, Ideosound, I tried the 'separate process' since the Melda Productions plugins I have will not display at all in dark mode. Unfortunately, they then allocate such a big CPU chunk that my MBP fan whirls and body heats - just not acceptable. It a real bummer because aside from that everything works fine and I have been waiting years for this dark mode to finally become real. I have emailed Melda like you said, but I'm not confident there will be a speedy reply/fix. While researching, I found a terminal command Zeno uses to toggle dark mode on and off: defaults write com.cockos.reaper NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance 0

So this makes me think....could it not be possible to overwrite it to 1 (light mode) just for Melda plugins as a work around? I really, really want to use dark mode...I am looking for every way to fix this now rather than going back to light mode (aka blast my insomnia eyes with areas of NO information).

Or maybe I can set a CPU limit for the separate process?

Any ideas are appreciated. Everything I've tried is to no avail so far.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:22 AM   #13
Ideosound

Ah i didn't notice there was a big difference in CPU use when you run a plugin as 'separate process' or 'dedicated process'. Do you have any native instruments creative effects? Those are the ones I have to run like this - https://www.native-instruments.com/e...ries-mod-pack/

Wondered if it was worth testing those to see if there is a big difference.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:04 PM   #14
thenamelessOne

Default Success!

Hey Ideosound, I run basically just the native FX plug 40 Melda and a few other odd balls. I put most my music money towards instruments, acoustic treatment, and hardware; in a perfect world where money was no barrier I'd have lots of plug ins to, but the JS edits, tight takes and creative FX chains gives me lots of miles. Since I will run quite a bit of Melda plugins they add up, and I have really hungry Analyzers on the Master so I couldn't reference the NI plugins. I should note that my device is MBP 2012, moded with 2T SSD and 16 GB Ram, yet older CPU still (also overclocked to play Skyrim wrap once upon a time lol) and a 3 party battery that drains/heats a bit quick (but apple won't sell a new one of course). On top of this, I am a bit spoiled, running FCP, Safari tabs galore, Photos, Mail, Music, Notes, and loads other, so it's just enough to get the CPU/bat warm and the fans running and the CPU doesn't parse down as nice when Reaper in not in focus/use. So the separate/dedicated process are working and useful for future scenarios, but I don't want it as my de facto workflow given my device and weavings.

Fortunately, Melda was super helpful and helped me clean house with a proper reinstall and their current version supports dark mode!!! I'm soooo stoked - it looks beautiful an my eyes are quite happy campers. 🖤 Got the theme all dialed in the pop a bit in the day and be really warm with contrast when flux kicks in on those insomnia nights. Reaper FTW! 😎 Thanks for the encourage.

Cheers & Blessings!
❤️💛💚🎵🎶🎵☮️💜🕉
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dark Mode Low Res.jpg (53.5 KB, 292 views)