Old 04-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
Sleuty
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI interface missing

So after considering (for quite a few reasons, long story) moving to Reaper, and lurking in the forums for a while, I started trying it a few weeks ago. After the initial hassle of not knowing where everything is again I found Reaper pretty much does everything I want to do. The trial period is rapidly closing and I've pretty much made my mind up that I'll make the switch.

And then a pretty central part of my setup, the m-audio 4x4 MIDI interface (the one with its own drivers) is lost. It is first listed as 'unconnected'. I select it and 'forget' it, hoping it is re-detecting when I restart it. No dice. I restart the pc, no luck. I uninstall the device + driver, reboot reaper, close it, restart windows, reinstall the device: nothing. I remove the ini file to rebuild the MIDI device list, doesnt work. I re-install Reaper to another drive: nada.

All the time Cubase has no issues at all, so it cant purely be a hardware failure. Windows device manager lists it correctly, driver is correctly numbered etc. This is a pretty big bummer, because a DAW that doesnt support my MIDI interface is all but useless to me. Any experienced folks here able to lend a hand and explain where I mess up?
Sleuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Some drivers will keep adding "instances" of themselves for each new USB port you use. Each instance will show up in Reaper MIDI devices but only one will be active. Each will have a slightly different name. You can set up every instance the same so that whichever one is used you get the same results.

If this is not the case for you, I'd suggest you unplug the device and run Ghostbuster (assuming you're on Windows). This will safely get rid of all instances and once you plug the device back in, it should register again as the original instance.

If that seems risky or complicated, just uninstall and reinstall your device driver. That should solve it as well.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #3
Sleuty

Thanks. The issue is that it doesnt show up in the MIDI device list at all anymore, no instance of it. I've re-installed the driver numerous times (with various combinations of restarting the pc/reaper/plugging etc) and it doesnt seem to make a difference.

edit: I've used ghostbuster, and I dont know what I did but it seems to have worked. Thanks!
Sleuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
foxAsteria

Probably your driver got corrupted. Glad that worked for you though. Great tool and probably gave you a bit extra performance getting rid of those ghosted drivers as well.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #5
benf

Thanks !
Ghostbuster worked for me too.