Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 12-18-2007, 08:38 PM   #81
charles.monteiro
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
I can almost see a slogan for this ISO: Windows that don't shine, but they work!

You can call this "finishing touches" to XP.

Cheers!
thanks this type of thing is interesting, frankly I'm apprehensive about doing the whole re-install thing , way to much stuff to reinstall i.e. I'm assuming all my apps won't work , so I rather use profiles and turn off whatever I can , and do stuff like replace the shell , explorer and what ever else I can to make my machine a leaner fighting machine , thanks for all the info on this stuff
charles.monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #82
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
Question: is there a way to have xplorer2 replace window's explorer? I mean i can't seem to find a setting that lets me allow x2 capture [win]+[e] and the likes... double clicking my computer or the icons in my toolbars.

thanks again,

t.
I think you cannot assign a win+e shortcut to Xplorer2, but you can assign a different shortcut. Make a shortcut to Xplorer2.exe, click on shortcut>properties> and assign a keyboard shortcut .

But in litestep, it is much more configurable. I have Xplorer2 start with my thumb-button when I click on the desktop, for instance. You can assign any program to any button or a keyboard shortcut. You actually don't need anything but systray and jdesk modules to work with Litestep, but then you have to assign lots of keyboard shortcuts for programs, therefore Popup module [or "Start" module] is used for starting programs. I am thinking of using a "wharf" module instead, because it can be hidden somewhere and just pop-up when I need it, and it looks nice.

I should send you my step.rc file for Litestep. PM you ;-).

Some news: I've made a test nLited installation of XP with streamlined SP3RC1 for one client, so it's as small as my last install, testing it right now with everything that comes to my mind. I'm quite excited by this. Since I've started testing this SP3 I've had less problems than with any XP so far, and it really works better, so I don't consider his PC a guinea pig at all, even though *it is* . btw it's Intel CoreDuo 6750, nice toy... quiet as ant's fart. I like making quiet PC's, have become a kind of an expert on the subject. Every new one is more quiet than the one before, extraordinary.

anyway, back to... no, I'll go to bed now. it's chewing some nasty benchmark anyway so i've got nothing to do but smoke and watch, and it'll be doing that the whole time while I dream of Charlize Theron doing some nasty stuff to me [no, my girlfriend doesn't come here, thank god].

Cheers!
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #83
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.monteiro View Post
thanks this type of thing is interesting, frankly I'm apprehensive about doing the whole re-install thing , way to much stuff to reinstall i.e. I'm assuming all my apps won't work , so I rather use profiles and turn off whatever I can , and do stuff like replace the shell , explorer and what ever else I can to make my machine a leaner fighting machine , thanks for all the info on this stuff
Hey, what shell do you use? BlackBox, BBLean, GeoShell, DarkStep? There are so many, but these are the only ones that are fast and stable besides LiteStep. Especially GeoShell and BBlean. GeoShell is so easy to configure and looks great.

Cheers!

now really, I'm going into flat position.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #84
KaoTeK

Top stuff Dux.... my d/l software is telling me I have 16 hrs to wait until SP3 finally arrives....oh the joys of living on a tropical island..... when it does I'll do a fresh install on my Sony Vaio laptop (p4 3.4/1gb) and you all know how I get on.....

Some more tips for speeding things up a bit (apologies if this has already been mentioned - I skimmed through Dux's tips so may have missed him mentioning these)

Error reporting: In system on the "advanced" tab down the bottom there's a button with "Error reporting" on it, click it and chose the disable option with the "but notify me...." unchecked....no more annoying messages asking if you want to tell m$ about the various crashes that invariably occur......

Also down the bottom is the "Environment variables" button where you can specify where you want the various "temp" directories to be, I like to have one folder for for everything at C:\temp it doesn't (as far as I'm aware) produce any gain in resources, but all the tatty crap stays in one convenient folder for easy deletion.....

Still in "system" but on the "remote" tab - disable everything, though I'm sure Dux's service's tips cover these anyway.....

Your hard drives: Right click, properties, and uncheck the "allow indexing service for fast searching" and when prompted choose the option for sub-folders and files to be included, on your primary partition there will be some locked system files that you can't change, just click "ignore all" - make sure you do this for every drive, regardless of if they are physical or logical partitions.....

Finally, cleaning up potentially a good deal of disk space.......if you are using the m$ system restore function, right click on the primary partition, click "disk clean up" then "more options" then "system restore" and choose all but the most recent restore point..... this will save you alot of disk space if you've not done it before, and particularly after installing SP2 (or 3 ) -but- make sure you have one more restore point after you've installed the SP.....it'll be much much smaller than the one that gets created whilst installing the SP but effectively be the same.....But in the end you should get shot of that M$ bollocks and get a 3rd party backup app....ghost is the most well known, but I have a thing about norton apps (they are super bloated IMO, always installing extra services that zap your resources) I use "R-drive image" which does the job very nicely and doesn't need to run background services when it's not running....

More space saving tips: in your c:\windows directory, delete all the hidden folders marked as "\$NTServicePackUninstall" -now- only do this if you are happy with your updates as once they're deleted, there's no going back, in other words you won't be able to uninstall the service packs...... With power comes great responsibility There may also be a folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download -delete!

Last, but not least, there's a big 'ol folder C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles do NOT delete this you'll fa-fa- fa....mess things up.....but you can right click on it, choose properties, and select the "compress" option......

Hope these are helpful.....woohoo only 13 hours to go lol.....I am indeed a Ferrari on the information super highway....

Last edited by KaoTeK; 12-18-2007 at 10:25 PM.
KaoTeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:43 PM   #85
KaoTeK

Oh....a couple of questions along these lines for anyone that may know:

1st - and this will be amusing to many given I tweak the hell out of my laptop - but has anyone tried sp3 with the hacked uxtheme.dll that allows custom themes...? I know, I know, waste of resources for a wee bit of eye candy, but for 12 years I had to stare at that bloody grey windows "classic" taskbar, and really can't deal with it any more, I am head over heels in love with the "TenerVS.msstyles" scheme, and really, really don't want to use anything else so if anyone as shallow as me has tried, please let me know

2nd - Unfortunately I neither have the space nor the budget (yet....?)to have a DAW exclusive computer, but ideally would like to have 2 profiles.....one super stripped down (apart from my msstyle heh) for Music only and one for surfing/gaming/downloading etc, is there any way to achieve this other than installing XP twice??? - I always thought it was a bit cheap of m$ not to include this in the user profiles....

Any advice would be much appreciated...
Old 12-18-2007, 11:29 PM   #86
charles.monteiro

Quote:
Hey, what shell do you use? BlackBox, BBLean, GeoShell, DarkStep? There are so many, but these are the only ones that are fast and stable besides LiteStep. Especially GeoShell and BBlean. GeoShell is so easy to configure and looks great.

Cheers!

now really, I'm going into flat position.
actually haven't tried any , so thanks again. I think in my case it would be fantastic if there was some sort of wizard type tool that would allow one to do all of these optimizations to Windows and in particular getting rid of unnecessary services i.e. the memory and i/o greedy. But I just can't be bothered with having to reinstall and deal with the potential software registration issues that will come up although I sure wished I had your installer when I first got my new box
Old 12-19-2007, 12:03 AM   #87
KaoTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.monteiro View Post
actually haven't tried any , so thanks again. I think in my case it would be fantastic if there was some sort of wizard type tool that would allow one to do all of these optimizations to Windows and in particular getting rid of unnecessary services i.e. the memory and i/o greedy. But I just can't be bothered with having to reinstall and deal with the potential software registration issues that will come up although I sure wished I had your installer when I first got my new box
Most of the services stuff will only take 10 minutes to do start>run> services.msc this may help, as it tells you what the default settings are so if something mysteriously stops working you can put it back to it's default setting:

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks6.htm

If in doubt, just set the service to "manual" - most will then only run when needed instead of needlessly in the background all the time, if you stick to the list you won't affect any of your installed apps.....
Old 12-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #88
KaoTeK

Wow....I'm impressed, on my relatively old laptop, there was an immediate noticeable increase in the speed *and* happy happy joy joy I get to keep TenerVS, though uxtheme needed to be re-patched after the update...only been a short time, but well worth the 12 odd hours it took to download.....almost.....
Old 12-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #89
DuX

It would be interesting to know if it works without any problems with themes, too, as I don't have one system using themes and many people use them. Cool, KaoTek.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #90
Tonehenge

Default Ain't y'all glad....

that I started this thread? (Just needin' a little sunshine blown up my arse....)
Tonehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #91
funkster1

Cool things 'n tips around here.
Over the last two days I've tried some shell replacements as well.
I've tried Litestep, SharpE and GeoShell.

SharpE was the most impressive, but a real ressource hog (although it was still lightning fast). 190 MB of RAM usage right after a fresh Windows start (instead of my usual +/-80 MB).

Litestep looks like the shit, but what's frustrating is, development seems kinda random these days and if you're in need of some updated modules, good luck browsing the web.
Those in the download archives are not really up to date. Even though they're mainly needed if you're using some themes, but still.

Geoshell seems pretty fast as well and looks like it's gonna stay a while on my Winbox.

@Dux:
maybe you could zip/rar your whole litestep folder and upload it somewhere (stashbox, yousendit, reaperstash)? That would be a great help I think to get stuff going.

Gonna install SP3 on my box later as well. Just waited to find a localized german version, as the english one wouldn't work.
Those (germans) who don't know where to get it, it's here:

http://winfuture.de/downloadstart,1198112881,2074.html

Will report back how it went/goes.

Cheers
Raphael
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #92
DuX

@Tonehenge: No .

Otherwise, I'd be making some nice jolly christmas tunes like "Celebrate black Christmas", "Santa's Graveyard" or maybe "Jesus bit my...khm" . I am a bit "alternative" oriented with my tunes.

Of course, we're glad, man. Kill a Kilkenny for us!

Cheers!

p.s. it's thursday night afte... thursday?! I thought twas friday, damn...

Last edited by DuX; 12-19-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #93
DuX

The thing with Litestep, my friend, is that you don't have to use the latest modules. Actually, most of the latest modules are crap IMO. It's a very good idea to upload my whole Litestep folder, so you can see which modules I use, because these are rock rock solid.

here: http://rapidshare.com/files/77776926/Litestep.zip

if you extract this to c: and use this .reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Shell"="C:\\LiteStep\\LiteStep.exe"

you can make it your shell in a split second. However, you'll have to edit the step.rc file to adjust the popup2 menus for your system. Every command in the step.rc file that's been commented out with ";" is disabled. I put in some comments to help me while editing, btw. I can see there are some highly intelligent people here, so that will be no problem . Tallisman, you'll like the lsxcommand as you can start the internet search with it, too ;-). It's a really helpful tool, especially the calculator. My assumption is that you'll need like an hour or two to adjust this theme for your system, but once you're hooked you'll never look back.

remember, I have explorer start with my middle mouse button. you probably don't have xplorer2 in the same folder so it wont start with the 4th button... oh shit there's so much to sdjust, I haven't planned this...

btw, I use just jdesk.dll, systray.dll, popup2.dll and lsxcommand.dll but there are some additional modules in the modules folder that are very usable and stable as well. You can find the descriptions and commands in the doc folder. Remember that the main configuration file is called "step.rc" and by editing it you can configure how your LiteStep looks and behaves. Most of the commands are described in "docs" files, so have a look at them if you want to tweak, it's fun, at least to me . The possibilities are endless, so as with a good mix, you start with the vision. Think, what would I like? Everything is possible, especially if you have a 5 button mouse like me. More buttons - more possibilities. Jdesk module takes care of that.

It's a freaking great shell, never looked back since 2000.

PM me if you need linkage or something, but www.lsdev.org is kinda like Reaper forum, these guys are great and helpful so you can take a look there first.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the biggest LiteStep site there is: www.ls-universe.info , there you can download all the modules you can possibly imagine.

Cheers!

p.s. I'm a bit drunk [and too honest-classical wine effect] tonight, but I will do my best to help as much as possible. don't pay attention to occasional "trollage" and typos, just the essence of it. I never fucked up a system even drunk , really. I have Windows and Linux in my veins... it's a pile of bs compared to BeOS :whine: and I'm composing some jolly tunes in the background... lotsa distortion and 808+909, classic... could use some company as my better and more intelligent half is in Egypt looking for dead Pharaohs.

Last edited by DuX; 12-24-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #94
DuX

btw, new Phenom doesn't look bad at all. In everything and especially floating point calculations even better than Intel Extreme QX6700... nice newsage.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #95
Tallisman

I am a little shakey in regedit...
and I can't seem to find .reg file you mentioned above...

waiting to re-shell this badboy!

.tallis

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:16 PM   #96
Tallisman

edit 2:Ok i am an idiot... my zip archive did not unzip everything as needed.... I see you modules folder now heh thanks.

EDIT:

ok it is coming along... sort of heh

;MODULES
LoadModule $modulesdir$jdesk.dll threaded
LoadModule $modulesdir$systray.dll threaded
;LoadModule $modulesdir$vtray.dll threaded
LoadModule $modulesdir$Popup2.dll threaded
;LoadModule $modulesdir$Popup.dll threaded
LoadModule $modulesdir$lsxcommand.dll threaded
;LoadModule $modulesdir$clickonic.dll threaded
;LoadModule $modulesdir$tasks.dll threaded
;LoadModule $modulesdir$traytasks.dll threaded
;LoadModule $modulesdir$jkey.dll threaded
;LoadModule $modulesdir$cdtray.dll threaded
;LoadModule $modulesdir$alias.dll threaded

I have located the bolded modules from here: http://www.litestep.net/index.php?section=7
Is this a recommended location from which to get them?

ok back to the fun...

.t

__________________________________________________ __

Ok... got it. sort of
Shell was replaced, but LiteStep could not load any of the modules... I assumed they were in the folder heh. But they don't seem to be.

Now you mention older and newer modules... and you list those you use. Should I just download the most recent versions of the ones you use?

Also, what parts of the step.rc need editing?

thanks again for your help!

.t

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"

Last edited by Tallisman; 12-19-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #97
funkster1

It's all good Dux.
I have noticed that you don't NEED all the newest modules.
A lot depends of what themes (if any) you use.
lsdev.org is the only I haven't tried because I thought this is reserved for developers. The other forums & communities seem kinda dead. The last (real) conversations date often back to 2005 or so, with the occasional question still asked from time to time by a noob.

I'll do what I can to edit the step.rc
I also have a thumbs button on my mouse (old logitech) and like the idea of opening the (whatever) explorer with it, cool.

As for the rest, I prefer things quite clean 'n lean as well and clutter-free. I have no icons on my Desktop, except the trash can and 'My Computer'.

Thanks a lot for sharing your litestep folder, much appreciated.

Raphael
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
Old 12-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #98
Teksonik

Haven't had a chance to read all of the posts in this thread but my main DAW isn't connected to the internet. It's still stuck on SP1. I hate to mess with it when everything is running so smoothly. How does one install Service Packs on a computer not connected to the 'net? I seem to recall updates require some kind of authentication "handshake". At least I think it was something like that the last time I downloaded an upgrade to my internet machine.
Teksonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #99
DuX

The ".reg file" is this:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Shell"="C:\\LiteStep\\LiteStep.exe"

- you copy this from W [as in "Windows"] to " [as in Litestep.exe"] in your notepad or any pad you use [I like Metapad], and save it as a, say, Litestep.reg file. then you doubleclick on it and merge it with the registry. restart and off ya go, yay!

There are no *more recent* versions of the modules I use, these are it, until LiteStep 0.24.8 is released, at least.

As for the editing of step.rc file, the first thing you'd like to edit is under popup2 settings [;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Popup2
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
]

After this commented popup2 [with ";"] is your left mouse click anywhere "start" menu, and popup2 module's settings in general, and you want it to show the programs you use. It looks under your c:\documents and settings\*user* and *all users* folder for shortcuts it could use, dynamically [means in *real time*].

This editing consumes the most time you need to configure LiteStep for your needs. Have a look at the popup2 docs also, so you'll understand better what's possible to do for your needs.

jeez this wine's strong as my maas rack No Kilkenny :weep:

anywhat... Underworld is good for your health. mean the band, especially "dubnobasswithmyheadman", production +10, trippier than hell.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 12-19-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #100
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1 View Post
As for the rest, I prefer things quite clean 'n lean as well and clutter-free. I have no icons on my Desktop, except the trash can and 'My Computer'.
Me too :lol:
Old 12-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #101
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teksonik View Post
Haven't had a chance to read all of the posts in this thread but my main DAW isn't connected to the internet. It's still stuck on SP1. I hate to mess with it when everything is running so smoothly. How does one install Service Packs on a computer not connected to the 'net? I seem to recall updates require some kind of authentication "handshake". At least I think it was something like that the last time I downloaded an upgrade to my internet machine.
Man, just download it from: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...3/1197391546/1

burn it on a dvd or cd and off ya go. If everything is running smoothly, this will make it run even more smoothly ;-). [Probalbly, I think EULA is not needed eh?]

Cheers!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #102
DuX

@Tallisman: If Litestep cannot load any modules, you probably didn't extract the archive to c:. The module's path is c:\Litestep\Modules in my installation, so Litestep cannot see it if you've extracted it somewhere else or with a different path.

btw. newer RC1 3.2.64 is out. dling it. [previously 3.2.44] judging from betanews comments, there are some users having problems with it?!

edit: it just re-enabled Windows Firewall [gone with the fart], nothing else except TCP/IP patch. cool. so the current SP3 version I use is 3.2.64 RC1.

Last edited by DuX; 12-19-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #103
KaoTeK

Oops....think I credited DuX for it another thread....was very tired at the time (waiting for sp3 to d/l so it's your fault anyway...) big apologies and big ups too hehe *blows some early morning Thai sun Tone's way*

DuX yeah the theming is all good.....on re-boot windows hung the first time, presumbly because the msstyle it was looking for was "illegal" so I had to run explorer from task manager to get the shell to work again, once uxtheme was re-patched, no problem at all, same as sp2.

Last edited by KaoTeK; 12-20-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #104
funkster1

OK, after some more dabbling I've come to the conclusion that LiteStep is out of the race for me. It really doesn't want to play nice on my box, even after adjusting the step.rc, registry entries et all. Right after a boot, windows will come up and hang at the welcome screen, although OS & litestep both seem to be loaded and all. I can ctrl-alt-del to call taskmanager, then I have to kill litestep and recall it via commandline. Only THEN will it work for me, until next reboot.
Also it kicks off my auto start items, even if only few. One is a virtual desktop manager called 'Dexpot', and the other is a very useful script-collection put in a big wrapper called 'Ac'ticAid', based on AHK and distributed by a german IT magazine called c't. I really don't wanna miss that tool anymore.

I think I'll stay with Geoshell, which works a treat, or even keep that damn explorershell, which after all, isn't really that much more ressource hungry than the others on my box. Of course, it is also extremely streamlined and optimised for my needs (my PC that is, not explorer shell).

Re: SP3, all seems quite well and stable at present. I'm using an Athlon XP 2200+ btw, with 1 GB of RAM & 3 HDD's on a NForce2 based mobo, Delta 1010LT & ATI 7000/VE 64MB.

If I want to gain more power, I will need to upgrade to a better CPU/RAM/Mobo anyway, so I don't really see the need to risk an unstable system.

Just my 2 cents of course, IMO YMMV etc. pp.

Cheers and merry x-mas to ya all

Raphael
Old 12-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #105
DuX

Yea,

Merry Christmas to you all from me, too!

Cheers! However, today I'm on herbal tea. Some a bit exotic herbs, though - my own mix... rather tasty. Changes are good - a lil bit of this, a lil bit of that... I'm never bored. Life is an experiment .

Geoshell is great, man. I used it for a while. If it works for ya, stick with it, and it definitely doesn't hurt to know if SP3 is working with it properly :wink:.

My Litestep install won't work on any other PC right off the bat anyway. Every PC is a story for itselffffff... nice letter "f"... an hour of tweaking and reading the docs is necessary to make it work properly. btw. Litestep has an excellent virtual desktop manager called sysvwm, it's a separate module. Litestep is a modular system, like modular synth - what you need you can have and what you don't need you don't use. I never had a need for virtual desktop somehow, although lots of people seem to like it.

Your PC config is rather similar to one of my AMD's Funkster, except that I use passive nVidia VGA, in all actually, great cards. Good and reliable PC I must say. Never had a [big] problem with it except the damn CPU bottleneck. Never enough of the bloody CPU power.

Once again, have a nice Christmas!

My ISO is just around the corner.

Cheers! and remember - herbs are good for ya .
Old 12-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #106
funkster1

Cheers DuX,

re: LiteStep, another install I did before trying yours, didn't work neither. And the virtual desktop manager was integrated in the 'Omar-Installer', but didn't play nice with my dual-screen config.
Even though I usually don't mind trying out stuff, fiddling with configs, settings and what not, right now I don't have the time nor the energy to do it. Just want a system that works. Basta cosí.

And re: herbs, sure I do like some from time to time (not of the drinking variant though ).

Cheers
Raphael
Old 12-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #107
DuX

LoL Funkster man. LoL. btw. no I'm not an African American or Jamaican, I just pick up words and accents from everywhere, most would characterise my accent as "Aussie"..., so you can visualise Eric Bana talking while you read my posts , I like those people very much, very laid back, like meself ;-).

Litestep is a bit difficult at start, but afterwards is a smooooth sailing, like a nice healthy herb . I haven't messed up with my step.rc file for years. My Windows look exactly like I wanted it to look. There's nothing to change anymore, just make some tunes.

Folks, another few hours and you'll have my ISO for download. I found taht this RC1 works absolutely gorgeous with all of my shit, but of course YMMV, as they say. I hate EULA-s so I won't write one , but PM's and this thread is open for abuse, I think. A nice, cut-down, nlited version of XPSP3RC1 v3264 [jeeez what a name] will be yours to use and abuse. It'll be around 200MB download.

today no herbs, no wine, just nLite .

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 12-21-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:24 PM   #108
Tallisman

great news!

cheers

.t

Old 12-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #109
DuX

OK this is like a christmas present to all of you that don't like fiddling with your system too much, it is all legal as you need your WinXPserial to activate it, but it's strip down...err a bit , more like stripped down big time:

the first part is here: http://rapidshare.com/files/78239297/WXPSP3A.zip.001

and a second part is here: http://rapidshare.com/files/78235239/WXPSP3A.zip.002

Burn it to a CD and off ya go. It is optimised for audio from ground up. The only thing you have to take care of are services, but it works beautifully anyway. You can install printers and scanners, everything.

Cheers! And Happy Christmas! Don't let the barrels suck up all the beer and wine as you can do that

Let me know what you think and if you have any problems. This could be considered a "beta of a beta" you know, but here - it's been driving so smooth it's totally overwhelming.

EDIT: LOGIN PASSWORD IS "blooroom" without the quotes.

Last edited by DuX; 12-22-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #110
Tallisman

Thanks very much!
this is really appreciated!

.tallis

Old 12-22-2007, 06:18 AM   #111
charles.monteiro

same here , thanks a million. Now, I don't want to be dense but using your installer is basically like doing a fresh install, right? i.e. I would have to re-install the rest of my software , for one your installer probably starts off with a fresh Win registry?

I'm asking what I believe to already know only because it is so tempting to make your CD and run with it
Old 12-22-2007, 07:33 AM   #112
DuX

Using my WinXP installation is the same as using your "normal" WinXP installation, but it's not . It installs the whole system from ground up but it's much smaller and set up for audio so you don't have to tweak anything.

The only thing I didn't mess too much with is services, so you'll have to optimise those by yourself. I got rid off the automatic updates and a few of other totally unnecessary services, though.

Cheers!
Old 12-22-2007, 07:45 AM   #113
Amberience

Quote:
Using my WinXP installation is the same as using your "normal" WinXP installation, but it's not . It installs the whole system from ground up but it's much smaller and set up for audio so you don't have to tweak anything.

The only thing I didn't mess too much with is services, so you'll have to optimise those by yourself. I got rid off the automatic updates and a few of other totally unnecessary services, though.

Cheers!
Which services might I ask?

I wouldn't want to install it and end up losing my network connection or anything else I might need.

Great idea though to offer an audio optimized installer!
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:56 AM   #114
DuX

You'll lose nothing Amberience, I do this for living, you know . I erased only "automatic updates", "remote assistance", "error reporting" and "windows help" services. Every other service is there ;-).

I didn't have time to test some things, though, I'm gonna do that right now and post my findings in a jiffy... I think some "fine tuning" is in order .

Last edited by DuX; 12-22-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #115
funkster1

Howdie DuX, very nice christmas gift for your fellow reaperites
Many thanks from my part as well.
I'm sure gonna dabble around a bit with your nLited Winblows-Audio ISO. Not quite yet.
After the holiday season I'll have more time to test things.
I still have some work to do the next 2 days.

Only quibble I have is Rapidshare:
forces me to pay for the second part of the file or to wait 2 hours or so
But waddaya want for nothing?

Cheers
Raphael
Old 12-22-2007, 08:39 AM   #116
Bassman1

Hi DuX many thanks for this....

have a problem unzipping this though. I get ! D:\Documents and Settings\.....\New Folder\WXPSP3A.zip.001: Unexpected end of archive

Any ideas please?

Hey and merry christmas
Old 12-22-2007, 08:42 AM   #117
DuX

OK, I tested it. It's no good. Don't download it. I mean, it is all right, it is cut down, but many things aren't set up as they should be. I'm not sure what happened. I will post another one in a few hours.

For those who downloaded it and trying to use it, the password for login is: blooroom
I will put the login on automatic and I have to change the password to something more appropriate, damn. It is a nice, no bloat version, after all, but some tweakage is needed to make it perfect, like putting processor scheduling to "background" -that's the first and most essential tweak.

I'm gonna leave this version up, for everyone who wants a cut-down version without any tweaks . It's good and small - no Internet Explorer, no WMP...

bloody Rapidshare. Don't worry, I'm gonna put the second part somewhere else. Those jerks... but they have really fast servers, reeeallly fast.

As for unpacking it, there shouldn't be any problem Bassman man, are you sure both zips are in the same folder? it's just one zip, split into two parts, man, so you have to have them in the same folder when unzipping.

new download in a few hours. much better this time. we'll work everything out, don't worry. I reeeeallly want my fellow Reaperites to enjoy the Windows eXPerience properly . I'm so glad I can do this .

Cheers!

p.s. I hope Justin and Co is kosher with this, didn't have time to check it out with them. Can somebody do it for me while I'm nLiting?

Last edited by DuX; 12-22-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:44 AM   #118
Bassman1

Hehehe no worries man

Looking forward to this so much. It will be a real treat when it arrives.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #119
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman1 View Post
Hehehe no worries man

Looking forward to this so much. It will be a real treat when it arrives.
It will, mate . I'm doing this for my needs, too, you know. I'm gonna be using it for my clients and myself, so everything has to be perfect.

Cheers!
Old 12-22-2007, 09:25 AM   #120
Resonance

I'm totally excited about this... and I HATE computers!

Thanks Dux. This is awesome!
Resonance is offline   Reply With Quote