Old 03-27-2020, 09:52 PM   #1
Osse
Human being with feelings

Default Vocal track with very varied intensity

Hello, working on a track with a vocalist with very varied intensity right now. It starts low and accelerate into oblivion. Right now I've got the preamp level set for the loudest parts and a HW compressor shaving off a good chunk of level (about 15-20 dB if the meter is correct, which I don't think it is, it's a gssl comp with a cheap meter) the compressor is barely working on the soft parts. Applying about 10 dB compression ITB.

It doesn't sound bad. I'm thinking it might be better feeding the compressor with the preamp more even level through the song, increasing the signal into the compressor at the lower parts and decreasing a bit at the loudest. How would you guys do in a situation like this? Would this sound more natural or less?

Thanks for any insights.

Last edited by Osse; 03-27-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Osse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:23 AM   #2
TBProAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osse View Post
Hello, working on a track with a vocalist with very varied intensity right now. It starts low and accelerate into oblivion. Right now I've got the preamp level set for the loudest parts and a HW compressor shaving off a good chunk of level (about 15-20 dB if the meter is correct, which I don't think it is, it's a gssl comp with a cheap meter) the compressor is barely working on the soft parts. Applying about 10 dB compression ITB.

It doesn't sound bad. I'm thinking it might be better feeding the compressor with the preamp more even level through the song, increasing the signal into the compressor at the lower parts and decreasing a bit at the loudest. How would you guys do in a situation like this? Would this sound more natural or less?

Thanks for any insights.
Maybe you try something like GainRider.
We use it every day to compensate for the changing mic proximity.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:37 AM   #3
martmix

paralele compression can help also
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:15 AM   #4
Coachz

Tri leveler vst is great at limiting
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Jeffsounds

I would probably split the track into separate tracks with the low parts on one and the louder parts on another and anything in between on yet another. That way you can treat them individually for a more uniform sound.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
Tone Ranger

Similar to what others are saying, I'd suggest chopping the item where the quiet bits are, and using item volume to bring the level up on those parts (or the opposite, bring down the loud bits, depending on your gain staging). You can judge visually with the waveform, then go back and listen to see if it needs further chopping/adjusting.

That way it won't work the compressor as hard (since item volume works pre-FX) and should still sound pretty natural!
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #7
Osse

Thanks for the many tips! Will examine these until the next recording session.

Best
Ossian
Osse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #8
vdubreeze

For vocals with extremely varied intensity/level, I take one of two approaches, and which one depends on how much time I can devote to it and how much it takes to get it in approximate shape and move on.

Two or three compressors followed by a limiter is the faster way, if it works for it. Setting ratios low and getting higher and attacks and releases longer and getting shorter, none taking off more db than sounds good. If there's a compressor and limiter on the master, even better, as it will add control to it in spite of also controlling the whole track.

If the music weaves around a lot so that the vocal needs help even when it sounds evened out soloed, I'll spend the time with volume automation, both goosing the voc where it needs it and manually ducking something in the track to carve out a little more space so it doesn't need as much goosing. I'll still use multiple dynamics plugins but be more conservative. They'll do half the job and the automation will do the rest.