Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 03-20-2020, 10:08 PM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI editor: Problems differentiating selected and non-selected notes

I got a problem identifying notes in different states in the MIDI editor. In my MIDI editor, I often use MIDI note colourization. I often set the MIDI editor to colour the notes by pitch.

This works good. However, all the notes in the editor grid are shown with full colour opacity and alpha value. A note which is coloured green, is really screamingly green. Same for red, blue, every colour except gray etc. This makes it impossible to see which notes are currently selected in the editor grid, and which notes notes are not selected.

Selected notes, in my theme, should be set to full blue colour. But some of the notes in the MIDI grid are already coloured full blue, even though they are not selected. Also, when I select some notes, which are not blue, they change colour to their inverted colour value (to signal they are selected), meaning some notes that aren't blue from the beginning turns into the blue 'selected' colour.

In the pic above, all the notes before bar 25 are non-selected, and all notes from bar 25 and onwards are selected.

Changing the 'selected note colour' in the theme preferences doesn't help this. I cannot seem to set or create a visually indicative colour or indication for selected (or unselected) notes only.

It's impossible to work like this. And yes, I use my own theme, which is very unlike Reaper's default v6 theme, and I wanna keep doing so. I need a way to maintain note colours, while still being able to visually identify which notes are selected and which ones are not.

I could use suggestions for this. Myself I was thinking ... what about using a half transparent image - like white or gray image - as the note's background colour? This should make the colour of each note only half as bright compared to the present full colour. I use this solution to separate selected TCP tracks from unselected TCP tracks. And if this would work for MIDI notes too, will I be able to add a different visual indication to notes which are selected? Perhaps those could be 'coloured' by a fully transparent image file, to make them really bright in colours, compared to the notes which are not selected?

Would it be possible to place an image in the theme folder which will impose its colour on the face of MIDI notes in the MIDI editor? And if so what is the name of that image?

Is there anyone out there who has done something similar and can share some tips and ideas on possible workarounds for this problem in general?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Colox; 03-20-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #2
Colox
Human being with feelings

I think I got a hold of this now. The solution spells "colormap".