Old 03-29-2020, 04:25 AM   #1
simonluca
Human being with feelings

Default Acon Equalize 2

Hello Everyone!
So I own a copy of Equalize 2, which I love, but I'm experiencing some issues when automatizing envelopes and I don't know if the problem is on Reaper or Equalize 2 side.
I must say first of all that I still haven't switched to Reaper 6, because I have to finish some projects before to do that (Reaper 5.987, OSX).
This is the problem: if you start from a flat line, then you draw a ramp (for example automatizing a cutoff Freq), if you go back, the GUI refreshes with the starting frequency, but the sound doesn't. Only when it encounters an "active point", then it refreshes the sound goign back to the starting cutoff frequency. Here's a video showing that: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DJ...VzA0xm8XsvWupT.

What I tried is:
1) Used VST and VST3
2) Checked "Buggy plugin compatibility mode"
3) Checked Automation notification -> Process all notifications.
4) Phase Mode on Eq2: Linear/minimum (i was told by Stian Not to use Mixed phase when automatizing)

Another thing is that in an actual working project the problem occurs all the times, in a fresh and empty project the problem is quite erratic, it happens like 2 out of 3 times.

I asked on Acon Forum (
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=218) but I didn't get an answer; Stian, who's very friendly and helpful, is probably busy with the release of another software. So I was hoping that someone could help me here.

Thank you and have a nice day,
SL
Old 03-29-2020, 05:35 AM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonluca View Post
This is the problem: if you start from a flat line, then you draw a ramp (for example automatizing a cutoff Freq), if you go back, the GUI refreshes with the starting frequency, but the sound doesn't. Only when it encounters an "active point", then it refreshes the sound goign back to the starting cutoff frequency.
Your video doesn't have sound, but things seem visually ok. I tried automating Equalize 2 (v2.0.24) on Win10 with Reaper v6.06 and got a bit different results. Audio is fine all the way through before, during and after the envelope shapes. Visually, if the Equalize 2 GUI is closed, everything is also fine.

However, if the Equalize GUI is open, the automation changes do show up in there, but Reaper GUI itself freezes. The play cursor stops at the first automation point and meters freeze to the current values. Audio is still ok all the way through the envelope and when the playback has passed the automation curve, Reaper GUI comes back alive.

Reaper automation modes have no effect on this behavior, neither do Equalize phase mode settings.

All this was the same in Reaper v5.99.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:00 AM   #3
simonluca

Hello Xpander,
thank you for your feedback. The sound is there, it's only very very low in volume (I do postproduction), if you download it and push the volume a bit with the player you should be able to listen to it.
In your experience the problem is exactly the opposite: the GUI somehow freezes but the sound is ok.
Do you maybe own a copy of another sequencer to test if that's happening also there? I don't so I can't do an A-B test.
SL
Old 03-29-2020, 06:13 AM   #4
xpander

Quote:
In your experience the problem is exactly the opposite: the GUI somehow freezes but the sound is ok.
Yes, audio is fine here, but if the Equalize GUI is open, Reaper GUI freezes during the automation changes.

Quote:
Do you maybe own a copy of another sequencer to test if that's happening also there? I don't so I can't do an A-B test.
SL
I don't have another DAW here either. Unfortunately I also deleted the older Equalize 2 version, so cannot check with that one. The last Equalize (1) works fine in all regards here.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:47 AM   #5
simonluca

Ok I downloaded the last version and now it is worse than before. I had 2.0.17 installed (something like this, I purchased equalize 2 like in November) now it is 2.0.24.
New thing is that It randomly freezes Reaper. I have to force close it.

I have to open a bug ticket, it's compromising my work now.

SL
Old 03-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #6
simonluca

HEllo,
Stian answered me. They know about the Reaper issues and they are working to solve them.
Until then I strongly suggest you to backup your Equalize2 plugin before to update it to the last version (at least for mac).

SL

EDIT: Stian solved the issues. Everything is fine now.

Last edited by simonluca; 05-08-2020 at 05:18 AM.
simonluca is offline   Reply With Quote