Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Spatial Audio

Old 02-16-2020, 11:46 PM   #1
Stabenfeldt
Human being with feelings

Default I'd like to share some 2OA B-format recordings

Hey guys,

I hope it's okay to share libraries in this forum.

I've put together a little 2OA B-format library of streams and rivers. They're all recorded with Core Sound's OctoMic and the Zoom F8n.

Feel free to grab a copy if you're interested. Binaural demo and download link here:
http://www.einarstabenfeldt.com/soun...-upon-a-stream

Hope you'll find them useful!
Stabenfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
Voyage Audio

Sounds cool! Curious — what did you use to encode and also decode to binaural?
Old 02-17-2020, 10:06 AM   #3
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Welcome aboard Einar. I've just downloaded the Ambi and Binaural files and will have a listen. I've been very curious about the Octomic since recently hearing about it.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:56 AM   #4
Stabenfeldt

Thank you!

I used VVAudio's VVOctoEncode for the encoding, which lets me use the correct calibration files for this particular mic, and IEM's binaural decoder.

Would love to hear your thoughts if you get the time to listen. Can't decide if I'm hearing sonic artifacts in the higher frequencies, 8 kHz and up, or if it's just in my head. A mild case of tinnitus can make certain recordings a bit confusing.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
Kewl

Default A-Format maybe?

Could you make the original A-Format available? I would like to try the Aalto SPARTA Array2SH for converting to B-Format and comparing it with your B-Format version done with the VVOctoEncode.

When recording the raw output from the OctoMic, what is the capsule/channel sequence on the recorder?
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
Voyage Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
Could you make the original A-Format available? I would like to try the Aalto SPARTA Array2SH for converting to B-Format and comparing it with your B-Format version done with the VVOctoEncode.

When recording the raw output from the OctoMic, what is the capsule/channel sequence on the recorder?
It's going to be difficult to use Aalto SPARTA Array2SH with the Octomic if you want to output 2nd Order Ambisonics. You can put the array data into the Aalto plugin and encode 1st order no problem, but it will not let you encode 2nd order from an 8 capsule array — it requires you to input coordinates for at least 9 capsules to get 2nd order out.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #7
Voyage Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabenfeldt View Post
Thank you!

I used VVAudio's VVOctoEncode for the encoding, which lets me use the correct calibration files for this particular mic, and IEM's binaural decoder.

Would love to hear your thoughts if you get the time to listen. Can't decide if I'm hearing sonic artifacts in the higher frequencies, 8 kHz and up, or if it's just in my head. A mild case of tinnitus can make certain recordings a bit confusing.
For me it's tough to listen for sonic artifacts above 8kHz with these type of recordings (i.e. water) — I think they sound pretty cool, though!

What I actually do hear is what sounds like some low frequency noise, maybe from the 2nd Order Components. Did you use any of the noise reduction stuff for this mic? What is your experience with using the OctoEncode settings to reduce noise?
Old 02-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #8
Kewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyage Audio View Post
It's going to be difficult to use Aalto SPARTA Array2SH with the Octomic if you want to output 2nd Order Ambisonics. You can put the array data into the Aalto plugin and encode 1st order no problem, but it will not let you encode 2nd order from an 8 capsule array — it requires you to input coordinates for at least 9 capsules to get 2nd order out.
Yes, I saw that. I'll setup the 9th input at 90° elevation and feed it with silence: we'll see if something interesting comes out that.

In any case, even nine 1st order caps are insufficient to derive a complete set of 2nd order spherical harmonics. Micheal Gerzon wrote about it as early as 1973.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #9
Voyage Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
Yes, I saw that. I'll setup the 9th input at 90° elevation and feed it with silence: we'll see if something interesting comes out that.

In any case, even nine 1st order caps are insufficient to derive a complete set of 2nd order spherical harmonics. Micheal Gerzon wrote about it as early as 1973.
Right — I believe you need 12 capsules for "true" 360, full 2nd order ambisonics. These 8 capsule mics are 2nd Order in the horizontal plane and truly do improve spatialization & pattern decoding vs 4 capsule mics. Since there is no capsule facing directly up there is no good way to create the "R" component.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #10
Stabenfeldt

Hey, sorry for the late reply!

I've made the A-format files available if you're still interested:
http://www.einarstabenfeldt.com/soun...-upon-a-stream

And here's more about the capsule / channel sequence:
http://www.core-sound.com/OctoMic/2.php

I finally got the chance to listen with a headtracker, and it felt like something weird was happening to the high mid frequencies, like a mouthy, "sucking in", sound, almost metallic sounding, if that makes any sense, but my mac kept crashing while I was using the headtracker, so I've put that aside for now and just use a scene rotator instead. Didn't notice any low freq noise though.

About the different encoding options in the VVOctoEncode vst, from Core Sound's site:

"VVOctoEncode allows you to select among three options during encoding.
The first option has the least processing noise and provides excellent spatial location cues.
The second option adds a slight amount of processing noise but has slightly stronger spatial location cues.
The third option adds a bit more processing noise but has even slightly stronger spatial location cues."

I used the third one for rendering these. I used a foam wind screen while recording, but haven't used any noise reduction, EQ or anything else in post.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #11
Kewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabenfeldt View Post
I've made the A-format files available if you're still interested: http://www.einarstabenfeldt.com/soun...-upon-a-stream
Thanks for the files! I'll get back with my impressions.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #12
LenMinNJ

Einar: Nice recordings!

IEM's Binaural Decoder is very nice. You might also try the COMPASS_binaural decoder.

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound LLC
www.core-sound.com
Home of OctoMic and TetraMic
LenMinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:51 AM   #13
Stabenfeldt

Thank you, Len! And thanks again for the beautiful mic.

Not familiar with the COMPASS_binaural decorder, but I'll give it a spin. Thank you!