Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 03-03-2023, 02:21 PM   #2321
Jozelo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsyrock View Post
Smooth6 in v6.76 can not zoom in vertically. You should open the rtconfig.txt file, find "tcp_heights", you will find two "61" after it. Change the first one to a smaller number, 48 for example, then refresh the theme.
It works, Thanks!
Jozelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:03 PM   #2322
luiza177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorock View Post
Can other users confirm… I’ve been running Smooth 6 flawlessly on a 1080p monitor as well as laptop (when on the go). But would love an upgrade on my desktop monitor. 4K has been discouraged based on my reading. Lots of DAW only people seem to prefer 1440p. Does Smooth 6 only work on 1080p and 4K?
Smooth seems to work quite nicely in both 4k and 1080p, but with scaling things get pretty shaky. I have a 4k monitor, but scale by 150% on Windows, this messes up the tcp and mcp layouts.

If anyone know a workaround or how to fix this, I'd love to know! A lot of themes seem to get messed up in this configuration
luiza177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:31 AM   #2323
msly

Default Issue

Love this Theme. I tried installing 2 times with the same result. As you can see from the screen shot I am getting some issues. I am not sure what is missing.
Attached Images
File Type: png smooth.png (184.0 KB, 229 views)
msly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 02:46 PM   #2324
Rodulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by msly View Post
Love this Theme. I tried installing 2 times with the same result. As you can see from the screen shot I am getting some issues. I am not sure what is missing.
https://stash.reaper.fm/46208/Smooth...erthemezip.zip

Try this one...
Rodulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:36 AM   #2325
dna598

ReARK 6.73 has replaced Smooth 6 for me as of now. Shame the dev hasn't been around or officially allowed mods. Fortunately reARK is pretty much an improvement over smooth 6 for me.
dna598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 06:55 AM   #2326
damngirlwhatsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alez156 View Post
Ahhh, Stevie – that'd be smart!

I am afraid we'd still break b0se licensing terms, though. He has a list of images that can't be modified/distributed. And all my changes are images from that list.

"NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material."
It's obvious that sadly, aside from some huge edits @Alez156 is making, it seems like any advancement of this theme has been abandoned. I was just curious if anyone ever figured out the issues with the Theme Adjuster showing the wrong settings for the title displayed.

For example, on the page that shows "Global Settings" at the top, FOR ME it shows the options for "Track Control Panel". If I click to the right, it shows "Track Control Panel" at the top, but the options below it are for "Mixer Control Panel". And each page appears as if it's one page off from the title.

Any idea what I could have done to cause this? If I load a different theme, it appears to be correct. I originally ran into this in 2021 on an older MacBookPro, but I have recently upgraded to a new MacBookPro and did a fresh install and still have the issue.

Anyone else found a solution for this? Thanks so much!
damngirlwhatsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:51 PM   #2327
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by damngirlwhatsup View Post
Any idea what I could have done to cause this? If I load a different theme, it appears to be correct.
It's none of your doing, the included Theme Adjuster doesn't work correctly with this theme. For example page 56 in this thread has similar reports. For a test I think I just used a copy of default Theme Adjuster and it seemed fine...but I didn't spend much time with this one to test every feature, so YMMV.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 04:31 PM   #2328
Alez156

Default I give up, lmao

I get asked all the time how to get the same look I have in my modded version of smooth 6.

So this morning, I started writing a pretty long tutorial about how to replace all the theme images.

I was thinking maybe I can just upload the images and they could just import it themselves and that’s it! That should be easy!

Then I read the license again…

Quote:
NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material
Now it’s not as straight forward.

Now people would have to open photoshop for each image, do all these different tweaks, and it’s just….. so much.

I just thought this sucks… Like it’s an overwhelming amount of work for someone just to get this look going.

And the fact that not only me but multiple people have tried to ask for permission to keep improving this theme, but the creator has been radio silent, I wish at least we got a “no” for answer, but the silence feels even more discouraging.

This doesn’t feel very REAPER, if that makes sense. It’s very anti-community.

And it’s definitely not a theme I want to keep endlessly promoting.
I believe I have linked to this theme over 1000 times now since I started using it.

For this reason, I am no longer using Smooth 6.

Back to default theme
Old 07-14-2023, 11:27 PM   #2329
Junolab

Quote:
I get asked all the time how to get the same look I have in my modded version of smooth 6.

So this morning, I started writing a pretty long tutorial about how to replace all the theme images.

I was thinking maybe I can just upload the images and they could just import it themselves and that’s it! That should be easy!

Then I read the license again…

Now people would have to open photoshop for each image, do all these different tweaks, and it’s just….. so much.

I just thought this sucks… Like it’s an overwhelming amount of work for someone just to get this look going.

And the fact that not only me but multiple people have tried to ask for permission to keep improving this theme, but the creator has been radio silent, I wish at least we got a “no” for answer, but the silence feels even more discouraging.

This doesn’t feel very REAPER, if that makes sense. It’s very anti-community.

And it’s definitely not a theme I want to keep endlessly promoting.
I believe I have linked to this theme over 1000 times now since I started using it.

For this reason, I am no longer using Smooth 6.

Back to default theme
We're all cheering at you for coming up with some great stuff based on other themes (or even the standard) Reaper is functionally the (almost) perfect DAW but it's (IMO) horrible UI always causes me to look in to other DAWs. Some slight love is something I would happily pay for. My only concern are abandonware, so I much prefer a single theme (incl colours and other neat add-ons) instead of 4-5 ones which only receive a few updated and then gets left to die on it's own.
Junolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 08:34 PM   #2330
Jorock

I'm continuing to monitor this thread because this theme has changed my workflow for the better. And I work professionally as a producer and use Reaper primarily day in/out.

Fingers crossed there's some behind the scenes deal taking place between bose and Cockos to make this theme the standard for Reaper come release time for Reaper 7. One can hope right?!
Jorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:42 AM   #2331
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorock View Post
Fingers crossed there's some behind the scenes deal taking place between bose and Cockos to make this theme the standard for Reaper come release time for Reaper 7.
Nope, I don't think it works like that at all. It's absolutely fine to like something personally. And that same thing might also be liked by a lot of people. But popularity in and of itself certainly doesn't mean that some theme should become the default. The whole development process is way more involved than just making a new facade which only works in certain systems and certain way to begin with.

White Tie is the appointed Reaper default theme designer and has been for ages now. There is already a topic in the pre-release forum about the new Development Theme. You can participate in there just like any of us can. All proper input helps towards a working theme. Good default theme is efficient and functional, more than just something based on one set of personal needs and tastes.

In the past there was an experiment to develop the default theme by a committee. As far as I remember, it was a daunting, stressful task for all parties involved and apparently left some disillusioned about the process of creating a default theme and what all it takes. Hasn't been done that way ever since, it just doesn't work well. What would work even less well is somebody pushing their restricted solo effort which hasn't had to take into account what all constitutes a working default theme.

Again, it's fine to like and use some specific themes. We are blessed to have so many to choose from and nowadays even tweak some of them easier than ever. So we should be grateful for the efforts of theme makers who offer their work for us to use.

But there doesn't have to be anything more to it, imho. What I mean is, I have nothing against b0se, even while I personally don't agree with his decision to keep this theme restricted. But I must say that if a theme is held as a hostage unless it's made default is already grounds for never making it such. Not saying b0se has implied or intended to do that, but that's the feeling I get from some users of this theme. That there are things which could be developed further and making it default would make that possible. That's definitely the wrong way to go about it, imho.

I understand the frustration Alez156 must have felt trying to work around restrictions while improving this theme and offering his efforts for everybody. And I understand why he has finally decided to let go of this one. Unless b0se continues to develop this theme himself or grants open mods for everybody, users should take it as it is right now. If you cannot mod it yourself to your liking, perhaps it's time to look for something else?
Old 07-16-2023, 12:38 PM   #2332
User41

I mean, is Bose really "keeping his theme restricted" or has he just moved on with his life and we are all living with terms & conditions he wrote a few years ago?

Honest question. I've read the thread but perhaps I'm missing something.
User41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 12:46 PM   #2333
fladd

Quote:

Not necessarily. One way I could think of is you distributing delta files. Those contain basically the binary difference between the original and your modification. People could then add those to the original they already have, and would end up with your modification, without you ever distributing any of the original content.

Of course this is not straight forward to do for an end user (at least not on a Windows system I guess), but you could distribute a simple Python script (or something else) that does the actual work in a single step.

Not sure the effort (on your side) for this would be worth it though.
Old 07-16-2023, 11:28 PM   #2334
benf

Quote:
Originally Posted by User41 View Post
I mean, is Bose really "keeping his theme restricted" or has he just moved on with his life and we are all living with terms & conditions he wrote a few years ago?

Honest question. I've read the thread but perhaps I'm missing something.
It seems bOse left Reaper (I read that somewhere on the thread). But until he don't tell he changes the rights on his theme, the terms stay the same.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:46 AM   #2335
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
Not necessarily. One way I could think of is you distributing delta files. Those contain basically the binary difference between the original and your modification. People could then add those to the original they already have, and would end up with your modification, without you ever distributing any of the original content.

Of course this is not straight forward to do for an end user (at least not on a Windows system I guess), but you could distribute a simple Python script (or something else) that does the actual work in a single step.

Not sure the effort (on your side) for this would be worth it though.
I agree that binary diffs are a reasonable way to circumvent the letter of the license. Honestly, given the number of good-faith attempts to contact b0se, and his refusal to respond or make good on his commitment to update the license to allow derivatives, I wouldn't sweat it.

As a software developer, it pains me somewhat to write this, but this license probably isn't even enforceable (but I am a software dev, not a lawyer).

More to the point, the license appears to apply explicitly and specifically to a subset of the graphics files, individually named, and NOT to the rtconfig.txt WALTER file, nor to the ReaperTheme file, nor to the entire theme as a whole, nor to any unnamed resources.

As far as I can tell, replacing those graphics with your own, non-derivative versions isn't a violation of the "Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License" included in the image resources directory of the zipped theme package.

Anyway, I understand wanting to follow the spirit of the license, and to respect the wishes of the creator of Smooth 6. But I think it's unnecessary to tie yourself in knots, especially where the license specifically limits its scope to a few image elements.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:54 AM   #2336
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

This is a reskin of the default 6 theme, right? If you've made ALL new images for it, then congrats you've made your own new reskin of the default 6 theme. That's your theme (other than the bits that are the commercial property of cockos). Make a thread. Put it up. You're golden.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:15 AM   #2337
Jorock

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Nope, I don't think it works like that at all. It's absolutely fine to like something personally. And that same thing might also be liked by a lot of people. But popularity in and of itself certainly doesn't mean that some theme should become the default. The whole development process is way more involved than just making a new facade which only works in certain systems and certain way to begin with.

White Tie is the appointed Reaper default theme designer and has been for ages now. There is already a topic in the pre-release forum about the new Development Theme. You can participate in there just like any of us can. All proper input helps towards a working theme. Good default theme is efficient and functional, more than just something based on one set of personal needs and tastes.

In the past there was an experiment to develop the default theme by a committee. As far as I remember, it was a daunting, stressful task for all parties involved and apparently left some disillusioned about the process of creating a default theme and what all it takes. Hasn't been done that way ever since, it just doesn't work well. What would work even less well is somebody pushing their restricted solo effort which hasn't had to take into account what all constitutes a working default theme.

Again, it's fine to like and use some specific themes. We are blessed to have so many to choose from and nowadays even tweak some of them easier than ever. So we should be grateful for the efforts of theme makers who offer their work for us to use.

But there doesn't have to be anything more to it, imho. What I mean is, I have nothing against b0se, even while I personally don't agree with his decision to keep this theme restricted. But I must say that if a theme is held as a hostage unless it's made default is already grounds for never making it such. Not saying b0se has implied or intended to do that, but that's the feeling I get from some users of this theme. That there are things which could be developed further and making it default would make that possible. That's definitely the wrong way to go about it, imho.

I understand the frustration Alez156 must have felt trying to work around restrictions while improving this theme and offering his efforts for everybody. And I understand why he has finally decided to let go of this one. Unless b0se continues to develop this theme himself or grants open mods for everybody, users should take it as it is right now. If you cannot mod it yourself to your liking, perhaps it's time to look for something else?

wow. uhhh. I was simply expressing my appreciation for the theme. Nowhere did I say or presume it all "works like that". Regardless of who is appointed or what factors need to be taken into consideration I would simply like to see Reaper adopt a look and feel akin to this theme as it makes many improvements over the original from both an aesthetic standpoint as well as just good health when sitting in front of the screen for long periods.
Jorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 10:10 AM   #2338
xpander

Jorock, I apologize for my wording which was obviously not that carefully chosen. I certainly have nothing against you nor anybody who likes this or any theme. But having seen this theme saga been going on for years now, when you mentioned a behind the scenes deal, I felt that was not fair towards all the people who have done and continue to do a lot of work towards real default theme even right now.

It was not about your wish per se, made in good faith like it surely was. But overall about all similar wishes throughout the years of making some custom theme a default. We have had an ongoing process for new default themes pretty much all through the Reaper history. Like said, you can participate in that as well if you want to, bringing up your points of how to make it the best it can be. That's the real Reaper ethos Alez was mentioning earlier, working openly together to achieve good things.
Old 07-17-2023, 11:54 AM   #2339
Alez156

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
This is a reskin of the default 6 theme, right? If you've made ALL new images for it, then congrats you've made your own new reskin of the default 6 theme. That's your theme (other than the bits that are the commercial property of cockos). Make a thread. Put it up. You're golden.
Exactly right, White Tie! I started reskining the default theme three days ago, and it's been so much fun!

Reading all of your documentation, reverse engineering other themes, and all of that, I finally feel comfortable to do my first attempt at theming 🥹 – I've always wanted to, but I was scared, ngl.

For those interested, I'm posting my progress with my theme over @reapertips on instagram stories.

It will be a reskin, similar to Smooth 6, with all my mods done and nice little details
Old 07-17-2023, 11:58 PM   #2340
Ideosound

Quote:
Exactly right, White Tie! I started reskining the default theme three days ago, and it's been so much fun!

Reading all of your documentation, reverse engineering other themes, and all of that, I finally feel comfortable to do my first attempt at theming 🥹 – I've always wanted to, but I was scared, ngl.

For those interested, I'm posting my progress with my theme over @reapertips on instagram stories.

It will be a reskin, similar to Smooth 6, with all my mods done and nice little details
Wow man looking forward to this! I think it will be great too. Defo happy to help test and provide user input as I'm sure a lot of others would too.
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:29 PM   #2341
GrizzlyAK

Quote:
Awesome!!
GrizzlyAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 09:17 AM   #2342
ivansc

Quote:
Exactly right, White Tie!

Well done, Alez! Appreciate your bravery & patience....

I have been hoping something like this would eventually rescue us from the loss of Bose.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:43 PM   #2343
Miguel Capelo

Default Looks great

Hope it works out for me.

Grateful

M
Miguel Capelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 03:42 AM   #2344
ArmTazar

Hello good.
I don't know if what is indicated in the screenshot can help but it is an escalation of the Theme.

All the best

Last edited by ArmTazar; 11-29-2023 at 05:11 PM.
ArmTazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:27 PM   #2345
TommyZai

Is there a Smooth 6 v3 available? Some "best of" lists claim there is.

https://emastered.com/blog/best-reaper-themes
TommyZai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 07:14 AM   #2346
benf

No. Bose, the creator, left Reaper.

But you can take a look at Alez new Reapertips theme. It's partly inspired from Smooth.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:39 AM   #2347
TommyZai

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf View Post
No. Bose, the creator, left Reaper.

But you can take a look at Alez new Reapertips theme. It's partly inspired from Smooth.
Smooth 6 itself is no longer in development? Abandoned .... anything new would be from other designers modding or inspired by? I'm sure Alez did and is doing a fabulous job. I'll certainly check out his theme.

Last edited by TommyZai; 08-27-2023 at 07:32 PM.
TommyZai is offline   Reply With Quote