Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-26-2021, 11:24 PM   #1
Taciturn
Human being with feelings

Default Importing RADAR 24 files into Reaper v6.29

From the 2019-2013 thread,
"Reaper and Radar ???!!!" https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=50168 and the left hand of the http://www.cockos.com/reaper/technical.php page you see that RADAR is on the list of "Readable Formats".

From a very recent REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto Forum thread I have been advised that, using the BWAV time stamp to their original position it looks as if you can import the Radar files, -and it is mentioned that Reaper reads Radar project folders and if it does I'd be "home free", -and to try importing the Radar files into a Reaper project using the option to place the items according to their BWAV timestamp.
("You may well find that with a little moving around of items on to different streams you have all you need.")

I have been looking over the "Up and Running: A REAPER User Guide v 6.29" and I'm worried if things will still be the same re importing RADAR 24 BWFs into my Reaper v 6.29 DAW -as was the case back in 2010 - 2013 ?

-So far, I haven't found any mention of importing RADAR files in the v 6.29 User Guide. I'm finding this, "Up and Running: A REAPER User Guide v 6.29" a bit overwhelming.

Can anyone direct this "newbie" to where in the "Up and Running: A REAPER User Guide v 6.29" I can find directions on how to import Radar files?

Or (otherwise) does anyone know where I can find RADAR projects import ?

I'm right new to all of this, so I really need step by step instructions.

Thanks
Taciturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:06 AM   #2
TomL

have you tried talking to Radar?
They will know more than most.
support@RADARrecording.com
TomL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
Taciturn

Default iZCorp is long gone;

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomL View Post
have you tried talking to Radar?
They will know more than most.
support@RADARrecording.com
A few years ago iZCorp (who invented, made & serviced Radar 24s etc.) went out of production & out of business. -The owner started a new company, "SolidAudio" -and a fellow named Raymond started the "Radar Recording co." which sells & repairs 2nd hand iZCorp products such as Radar 24 etc.

Originally, the deal was that Radar purchasers were supposed to get 10 years of tech. support but when iZCorp suddenly went out of business, myself and everyone else was left behind, -I was suppose to have some 6 years of tech. support left at the time...

Unless you're buying something from either of them, that boat has sailed. I tried to approach both new companies to no avail a couple of years ago. For example, if your R24's old AGP video card blew out, (as was the case with my R24 back then) neither one would tell you what the specs were for the video card, but would instead try to sell you a 2nd hand one at some 10 times the price of one that you could easily find for sale on the internet, -that is why you can read all about this sort of thing on the Gearspace.com blog.
They are good for the purchasing of the very hard to find proprietary cards & other specific components -should anything need to be replaced -and you know of any local "advanced electronics" repair shops. -With shipping fees all the way across the continent & back etc., etc. I find them prohibitively expensive for repairs or servicing. I wouldn't be here on the Reaper user forum now -otherwise.

I think that the advice (from REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto Forum) -
-"to try importing the Radar files into a Reaper project using the option to place the items according to their BWAV timestamp."
("You may well find that with a little moving around of items on to different streams you have all you need.")
-is the way to go, -it's just a matter of getting step by step instructions of how to do that.
I need directions to where in the "Up and Running: A REAPER User Guide v 6.29" I can find how to import Radar files, or just simple directions on how to import BWF files (and/or folder files)

Otherwise I'll just have to hope that someone out there has had some experience with Radar & Reaper (such as those "Human beings with feelings" from the 2019-2013 thread, "Reaper and Radar ???!!!" https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=50168)
-and know where I can find RADAR projects import.

Last edited by Taciturn; 10-27-2021 at 05:28 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-28-2021, 12:22 AM   #4
Alistair S

I see you have two threads on this.

In your other thread, I pointed out that in Reaper, if you click "Open Project", you can open a RADAR session (which, it seems, is a TXT file).

Have you tried that yet?
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:06 AM   #5
Taciturn

Default Got 5 tracks out of 24 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair S View Post
I see you have two threads on this.

In your other thread, I pointed out that in Reaper, if you click "Open Project", you can open a RADAR session (which, it seems, is a TXT file).

Have you tried that yet?

Oct. 29th NOTES:

I double clicked on the Reaper ICON on the Desktop, -then clicked on File -and then on Open Project, I checked on the "Open in new project tab" box. Then I went down the list on the left side of the "Open Project" window to "New Volume (D)" which is the Desktop's internal SSD that contains the RADAR projects.

When I clicked on "New Volume (D)" the "#2nov2020withredo" project was at the top of the list, (the Folder from the internal SSD containing the specific RADAR 24 BWF audio files that I want to Import & work on). I then clicked on & highlighted this and typed #2nov2020withredo into the File name box and clicked on Open.

After clicking Open the original RADAR 24 project name came up, "MAY Triplets L V_01-24_RADAR" I then clicked on & highlighted this and typed MAY Triplets L V_01-24_RADAR into the File name box and clicked on Open.

At the top of the "Open Project" window it now reads;
> This PC > New Volume (D) > #2nov2020withredo > MAY Triplets L V_01-24_RADAR
-and a new list comes up with, Name, Date modified, Type, and Size headings -"Audio Files", "Disk Info Files", "Project Info Files", and "RADAR System Files" -all File Folders.

I then clicked on & highlighted "Audio Files" and after typing it into the File name box, -clicked on Open., -but "Audio Files" disappeared from the File name box -and all that was in the Open Project window then was a "No items match your search" message... -now at the top of the "Open Project" window it reads;
<< #2nov2020withredo > MAY Triplets L V_01-24_RADAR > Audio Files

This seemed odd because when I went through a very similar process with Cakewalk by BandLab everything went basically the same, -except that after "Audio Files" & clicking Open, -I got a long vertical list of thousands of clips (from 0001b7a1 wav all the way to 00827995.wav) -that proved to be untenable, at least I couldn't find a way to get these many clips into a project. At first I was able to get one clip at a time onto a new project -showing audio visual representation, by some means or another I was at first able to play & hear one clip at a time. However after trying this over & over again something happened & changed & I couldn't any longer do anything with it at all.... Someone advised me at one point that I should be able to import one Track at a time into CbB however I would have needed to be able to listen to these clips so as to try and ascertain where the various tracks were, and would never be sure anyway where these tracks began & ended exactly etc.

I thought I was at an impasse again with Reaper, what you've read so far was going to be my post, -however, I happened to notice to the right of the File name box & just above [Open] -a powder blue window box that read;
"All supported Projects (*.RPP,*."

-I then clicked on the downwards arrow and got the list that I should have been looking around for earlier;

All supported Projects (*.RPP;*.EDL;*.TXT;clipsort.log)
REAPER Project files (*.RPP)
EDL TXT (Vegas) files (*.TXT)
EDL (Samplitude) files (*.EDL)
RADAR Session TXT files (PROJ*.TXT)
NINJAM log files (clipsort.log)(clipsort.log)
REAPER Project Backup files (*.RPP-BAK)
All files (*.*)

-Needless to say I then clicked on, "RADAR Session TXT files (PROJ*.TXT)"

( Alistair S indicated that it seems that it would be a TXT file. )

I went through the process again, starting at the original RADAR 24 project name, "MAY Triplets L V_01-24_RADAR", -clicking on & highlighting this and then typing MAY Triplets L V_01-24_RADAR into the File name box & clicking on Open, and then doing the same with Audio files. -But even though I had the "RADAR Session TXT files (PROJ*.TXT)" setting in place, when I clicked [Open] "Audio Files" disappeared again from the File name box -and in the Open Project window all that came up was the same "No items match your search" message... -at the top of the "Open Project" window it still reads;
<< #2nov2020withredo > MAY Triplets L V_01-24_RADAR > Audio Files

With the "RADAR Session TXT files (PROJ*.TXT)" setting in place, I decided to go through the entire process again from first clicking on "New Volume (D)" -the Desktop's internal SSD that contains the RADAR projects from down the list on the left side of the "Open Project" window. -Then #2nov2020withredo & Open, -to MAY Triplets L V_01-24_RADAR & Open, and then
Audio Files and clicking on Open. -But unfortunately still only a "No items match your search" message was achieved.

Note that I had the "Open in a new project tab" box checked for these trials.

I clicked Cancel then tried again by selecting Open project under File and then firstly selecting the "RADAR Session TXT files (PROJ*.TXT)" setting.

This time I had neither the "Open in new project tab" or the "Open with FX offline (recovery mode)" boxes checked.

By going through the same exact process I got the "No items match your search" message again...

Clicking Cancel again I tried again by selecting Open project under File and then firstly selecting the "RADAR Session TXT files (PROJ*.TXT)" setting, having neither the "Open in new project tab" or the "Open with FX offline (recovery mode)" boxes checked -and going through the same process again, except this time instead of selecting Audio Files, this time I selected "RADAR System files".

Typing "RADAR System files" (instead of "Audio Files") into the File name box & clicking on [Open] got me "PROJ030-MAY Triplets LV.TXT", -under Type it says Text Document & under Size it says 34,369 KB...

Highlighting & typing in PROJ030-MAY Triplets LV.TXT into the File name box & clicking Open -finally got me the "Reaper Digital Audio Workstation" icon & page with it busily processing all of these thousands of bits, -but, it soon came to a halt and a little white window appeared over top of everything stating, " EDL TXT import error RADAR Project: Invalid END= after BEGIN=

-Then when I clicked on [OK] -another little animated window appeared titled "Building Peaks" -that was again processing the tiny clips etc. -as I was trying to chronicle this for the user forum thread this process seemed to suddenly conclude when I was typing this post on a laptop (the Desktop with the DAW is Offline)

-What I have now on the screen is what appears to be 5 Tracks,
-just above the volume sliders & Pan centre controls it says, 1.4.00 / 0:01.500 [Stopped]

I am able to play this audio -and it plays all the tracks together the 1st track is the vocals, the 2nd track is the guitar track and the 3rd & 4th tracks are bass (parallel compression), the 5th track is guitar harmonics -the thing is I had two tracks for the guitar harmonics on tracks 5 & 6 -that I would pan left & right for a stereo effect.

However it still sounds much the same as I recall it sounding coming out of the RADAR 24, it is nice to hear this work even in this way, -after all of this time.

I can't tell yet, but it seems that these 5 tracks span the entire length of the Radar project, (i hope so...).

This is a prototype project that entails a great deal of "Comping" there's a number of different versions -with a number of different intros, musical interludes, bridges, and codas, the bass line differs for all of these various instrumental parts that I'm considering -so I'd really like to have all of these other tracks (not only for the other guitar harmonics track #6 that I need for the stereo pan effect) the other tracks contain these other comping choices etc. -This project was a bunch of excerpts that I was coping & pasting around to see what approach I liked best for the final version etc.

Because I know little of the ways of these audio file backups I must mention that when I was able to look at them all on the Cakewalk by BandLab DAW what I could see was a very long vertical list of thousands of clips -that for some reason start off with two unusual numbers, 000000b6.wav and 000000e4.wav
-but then proceeds in a very orderly fashion;
0001b7a0.wav
0001b7a1.wav
0001b7a2.wav
0001b7a3.wav
0001b7a4.wav
0001b7a5.wav
0001b7a6.wav
0001b7a7.wav
0001b7a8.wav
0001b7a9.wav
0001b7aa.wav
0001b7ab.wav
0001b7ac.wav
0001b7ad.wav
0001b7ae.wav
0001b7af.wav
0001b7b0.wav
0001b7b1.wav
0001b7b2.wav
0001b7b3.wav
0001b7b4.wav
0001b7b5.wav
0001b7b6.wav
0001b7b7.wav
0001b7b8.wav
0001b7b9.wav
0001b7ba.wav
0001b7bb.wav
0001b7bc.wav
0001b7bd.wav
0001b7be.wav
0001b7bf.wav
0001b7c0.wav
0001b7c1.wav
0001b7c2.wav
0001b7c3.wav
0001b7c4.wav
0001b7c5.wav
0001b7c6.wav
0001b7c7.wav
0001b7c8.wav
0001b7c9.wav
0001b7ca.wav
0001b7cb.wav
0001b7cc.wav
0001b7cd.wav
0001b7ce.wav
0001b7cf.wav
0001b7d0.wav
0001b7d1.wav
0001b7d2.wav
0001b7d3.wav
0001b7d4.wav
0001b7d5.wav
0001b7d6.wav
0001b7d7.wav
0001b7d8.wav
0001b7d9.wav
0001b7da.wav
0001b7db.wav
0001b7dc.wav -etc., etc., .... -all the way to, 00827995.wav

-Other than that the only other incongruency that I saw was that for some reason, 0001b7f0.wav was missing (?)
-Of course the list of clips is far too long for me to find or see any other incongruencies,..... -I'm left to wonder if that could be the problem with Reaper not being able to import the entire project ?

Not knowing what possible disfunctioning could possibly be involved with my by then faltering RADAR 24 when I made this backup I will find someway to save this project tonight & scrutinize it further this weekend -over the monitors. I do have another backup (without redo) to think about.

What do you advise at this point ?
Old 10-31-2021, 05:36 PM   #6
Taciturn

Default Tried "Project Info Files" to open RADAR BWF project into Reaper:

As Alistair S and others suggested I tried to open the RADAR BWF project (with redo) with "Project Info Files".

(RE: File > Open Project > New Volume(D) > #2nov2020withredo > Open > MAYTripletsLV_01-24_RADAR > Open > Project Info files)

-But I got the following message;

- EDL TXT import error re 12 EDL header items are missing -

I tried this again but only got a "No items match your search." message

I'd very much like to understand what this "12 EDL header items are missing" is all about.

When I tried again with "RADAR System files" (which got 5 tracks opened the day before) -the same 5 tracks were opened again just as before.

With the "RADAR Session TXT files (PROJ*.TXT)" setting in place I also tried the other options, "Audio Files" and "Disk Info Files" but that only resulted in the, "No items match your search" message.

It seems fairly established at this point that the only folder file that works at all with the "2nov2020withredo" backup is "RADAR System files".

Although the "RADAR System files" setting does achieve 5 tracks opened upon the project's track panel, -after that is done, "Replace missing file..." etc. window box messages kept coming up in both cases, -not knowing what else to do l eventually clicked on "[ Leave file offline ]"

I'd really like to understand more about these messages too, (see the other thread, "Importing Radar 24 BWFs into Reaper;" in the REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto forum for more details)

Having the same RADAR project backed up -without redo, I must hope for better luck in that direction.

[ Note: I recall there being some strange anomaly problem with the RADAR 24 recorder -perhaps around either track 5 or 6 -where the audio would play but the audio image wouldn't be apparent when I would be copying & pasting things around in comping experiments within the project etc., this may of had something to do with the machine's disfunction & eventual breakdown for all I know. -If it does than I may encounter the same problem with the "withoutredo" backup, -it will be interesting to see how that goes...]

However at this time I most wonder re the, "EDL TXT import error re 12 EDL header items are missing" message that comes up when I try to open the RADAR (withredo) project with the "Project Info Files" setting.

Can anyone tell me anything about "EDL header items" ?

Thanks,
Old 11-01-2021, 06:16 AM   #7
Taciturn

Default RADAR backup (without redo) apparently opened successfully;

Went through the same process with the "Nov 2020 Prog 30" (without redo) RADAR backup & used "Project Info file" setting but also got the "No items match your search" message.

Then tried the "RADAR System Files" setting & got the animated numerical "Project loading file" countdown on the grey strip over the colored REAPER icon box, -then a "Building Peaks" window showing increasing green as the project was opening. -This took a few minutes. -Behind this "Building Peaks" box the usual 5 Tracks became apparent (seemingly the same as I got with the "#2nov2020withredo" backup that I was trying in the past few days).

-However this time under the new project's Track panels all 24 of the Show Track FX Window/Record Arm/Disarm/Record input (audio or MIDI)/-Volume sliders were showing upon the Reaper project screen. -And I could also scroll down all 24 track panels. As well, to the left all 24 Record Arm/Disarm & Volume & FX Mute/Solo controls are apparent.

-Though I can't be absolutely sure, (until I check this all out with my Radar tracking & comping log records) -it seems that when I minimize this sprawling "work-in -progress" prototype comping "arts & crafts" project that all of the audio is there. -I find audio excerpts here & there on all 22 tracks, (which makes sense because I believe that I always left tracks 23 & 24 open for various comp mixes etc.)

I guess that I must appreciate that the Reaper Track panels go on limitlessly....

A great deal of my troubles presently simply involve my "newbie" inexperience with navigating around the Reaper project.

As it is, the comping project audio starts at 1.1.00 / 0:00.000 and goes all the way past 20481.1.00 / 11.:22:40.000 -that's a lot of audio for the comping of one song... -albeit I believe that I recall there being some 16 versions of this piece, excerpts etc. to select from.

The project seems much more formably large on Reaper than it seemed to appear on the Radar project page, but it does look like it's all there ! .

This time I chose the "Save Project" icon on the top left of the Reaper Tracking panel screen.-and as well tried " Save As" from File, identifying it as "Nov 2021 / Nov 2020 Prog 30.rpp" (but I couldn't get "Save As to work") -it's hard to believe that it took a full year -getting this thing back in the living again !

Thanks for your help, I tentatively consider this matter solved.

(This may be a cautionary tale of not backing up projects intended to be transferred into other DAWs "with redo" ?)

This DAW stuff is so tricky, I do have the sinking feeling that you'll be seeing me around the user forum again though...

Thank you.