Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-14-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
thestorygirl
Human being with feelings

Default "Canned sound"; not good!

Hello there,
I am sure there has got to be a simple solution to this problem but I am clueless as to what it is...

A LITTLE BACKGROUND: I am a voice actor, so I don't use Reaper for music and I am very technically challenged.
I use an Alesis interface. My laptop is noisy so I put it in the next room and have rigged up a second monitor inside my recording booth. I have recently upgraded to using sound acoustical blankets. I am very familiar with Audacity and have no problems with the sound I get from it. However, I have started using Reaper the last couple weeks in order to utilize the non-destructive Punch & Roll editing system.

MY PROBLEM: I have downloaded and set up ASIO4ALL driver under Ctrl + Preferences and which solved a latency issue I had. But when I record in Reaper, the sound is very "canned"-- like I'm recording from a bunker somewhere. Not reverb, but canned is the only way I can describe it. I don't get this when I record using Audacity. I have no FX on in the tracks. I have not even begun to practice mastering my audio on Reaper yet. Do I have some setting that needs changed?
If there is more info I need to provide, just let me know! Thanks!
thestorygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:31 PM   #2
Stella645

I would guess that you are monitoring the track through Reaper and also with the Alesis direct monitor...causing a phase effect.

Turn off record monitor on the track (speaker icon next to record arm button)
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #3
Allybye

I'm sure Stella has put a finger on it. (sorry just noticed you are not a 'she' so edited!!)
I cannot think of anything else but

Can I make a suggestion for your setup?
You write that you have a monitor in your "sound booth". Suggest consider buy a Usb extender (of suitable version and length) so you can also extend for a mouse to your recording area? Remote stop start.
Not sure where you are located but this one on Amazon UK looks the part https://www.amazon.co.uk/BlueRigger-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Last edited by Allybye; 10-15-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
thestorygirl

Thank you, both! I think that may have been it. I've been struggling with this problem for about two weeks and today it sounds better, clearer.

All suggestions for improved sound booth welcome! Thank you, I do have a wireless mouse and keyboard that I've been utilizing in the booth. It's all been making a load of difference in editing!

Next time, I won't wait so long to post a Q if I have any problems!
Thanks again.
thestorygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:37 AM   #5
martifingers

Another solution to this is the Web interface of course. No extenders required!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkMAj8CpvIU
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote