Old 10-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
mdkb
Human being with feelings

Default by christ take my money!

Reaper...where have you been all my life??

I started on cubase in the early 90s on Atari ST watching endless bomb symbols and twenty minute reboots.
then went cakewalk when audio first showed up in a DAW
then Logic, until Apple ballsed it up,
then cubase and the transition was not fun but it was worth it once I got my head around it though missed some aspects of Logic,

and last week I was fighting their latest download to upgrade my Cubase 9.5 win 7 laptop, that I never let get anywhere near the internet out of fear, and wondering why tf I was about to pay hundreds more dollars for the experience, knowing from previous experiences the horrors that awaited me with each plugin or attempt to get the thing working happily with everything new in the upgrade...when I remembered someone ages back mentioned to try Reaper....

it's only been about a week. I just finished installing it to a random Windows 10 PC, 10GB RAM, old dog of a machine and honestly I cant get over how useful this is already.

I hate to say this because I have been a big fan and disciple of steinberg, emagic et al, but cockos you have stolen my heart.

seriously, this is where I wanted to be with a DAW since I started. I am literally wetting myself it has been so easy to setup, tweak, and the speed and ease of working is phenomenal.

I feel like I have been in a cult and just escaped!!!!!
mdkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
MrMoto

Welcome to the club!
Old 10-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
Dark Fader

I also went through cakewalk then Sonar, then Cubase, looked at Ableton, Digital Performer and Studio 1, then Cakewalk by Bandlab, finally settling on REAPER. Now I'm back to where I left off with Digital Orchestrator Pro!
Dark Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:08 AM   #4
AncientArtifact

I started off with Cool Edit Pro back in the 90's. I took a break from music right around the time Adobe purchased Cool Edit. Now that I'm retired I decided to get back into music and try to remix some of the songs I did back then. I needed a DAW and decided on Reaper because of the rave reviews and the price was right.

I have to admit that I was intimidated at first when I ran Reaper, but thanks to Kenny Gioia and others who make video tutorials, and members of this forum, I was able to learn how to do what I needed. I'm amazed at how much Reaper can do. In this day and age with all the excellent free VST's available and awesome paid versions the music world is at your fingertips!

I'm really impressed at how fast Reaper loads up. It seems supernatural to me that such complex software can run so smoothly. I can honestly say Reaper is the best, slickest piece of software I've ever purchased.
AncientArtifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:13 AM   #5
heda

hehe it seems we have a new case of love at first sight here. Then the problems will come but I think you will stay welcome !
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
martifingers

Welcome mdkb. But I regret to tell you that you have actually just joined another cult.
Just follow the Forum's example and remember to always address the developers as Master and never criticise any new feature and all will be well. 😜

Bur seriously your experience is shared by many of us and luckily that has resulted in a Reaper community that is a generous, supportive and lively family.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
TonE

Welcome here, however Atari ST's timing is unreached.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
User41

My line is that reaper is a bad first DAW, okay second DAW, but an incredible final DAW. Welcome to the club!
User41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:50 PM   #9
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkb View Post
I feel like I have been in a cult and just escaped and joined another
Fixed that for you
Old 10-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #10
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Welcome here, however Atari ST's timing is unreached.
Yeah and the same for MPC right, oh wait you are not MPC Cult as well, meh.
ST timing my shiny metal ass, I have one and there is literally no way I would plug that pile of crap in and make music with it ever again, getting the mouse to work for more than ten minutes was an exercise in pulling your own pud.
And no, the ST MIDI output does not have better timing than VST, which once recorded is sample accurate, it does not even compare.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:01 AM   #11
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Conway View Post
Yeah and the same for MPC right, oh wait you are not MPC Cult as well, meh.
ST timing my shiny metal ass, I have one and there is literally no way I would plug that pile of crap in and make music with it ever again, getting the mouse to work for more than ten minutes was an exercise in pulling your own pud.
And no, the ST MIDI output does not have better timing than VST, which once recorded is sample accurate, it does not even compare.

Yep - yet another urban myth.
I bought an ST after using Amigas for some time & hated everything apart from it having built in MIDI I/O.
But soon found out it was no more accurate than the Amiga.
After adding some extra memory and a hard drive, the ST stuill didnt come close to my Amiga, so I sold it on & never regretted it. At the time, Amiga`s Bars n Pipes Pro did a better job of midi sequencing, too.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #12
Larry Kriz

I could write a book about DAW aggravation. Reaper was like a breath of fresh air in a sea of bloated, clunky, overweight, confusing nonsense. Look... I know you can do good work with just about anything. I have people sending me iPhone recordings because that's all they got and actually the sound quality ain't half bad.

But one of the biggest joys to me is not having to worry about the little annoyances. This thing is mostly rock solid. Yes I have to learn how to use it. But now I can concentrate on the fun parts of music production and not worry that it's going to fart or pop or hiccup randomly. Very nice. Stopped using Samplitude completely.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:20 PM   #13
bong hits for jesus

I havn;t read anything, like the title, not even a xtrain