Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-02-2021, 07:42 AM   #1
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

Default Question: Maintaining a lot of guitars.

When recording or doing sessions for others, I love having a wide variety of guitars, and I also like just having multiple guitars to play.

I have had a very lucky situation this past year, and I've acquired a bunch of guitars, by looking for used and deals. It has been pretty great, and I could always try and sell them off as needed.

But one thing I wonder about is this -

how do I keep them all maintained?

first world problems, to be sure - but do I have to change the strings on ALL of the guitars often? How can I prevent that? What else can I do to maintain these guitars without too much effort?

They are basically out all the time, on one of those lean-in multi stands...

They do seem to work just fine, sometimes a little dusty. And I do use all of these fairly often, including another bass I have and an acoustic not pictured. To me, they all play differently and have unique sounds. The strat is one I don't use much, as I prefer the strat emulation on the variax, and I have an epiphone I don't use a whole lot because I'm trying to compare it to my older univox paul copy.

Other than that, these are all fairly used.

The guitars I play often, I change the strings. The ones I don't, I really haven't. Usually I just tune them up and they work just fine.

What do you think?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #2
DVDdoug

Quote:
first world problems, to be sure - but do I have to change the strings on ALL of the guitars often? How can I prevent that?
I'm not a guitar player but I wouldn't expect the characteristics of the metal to change during storage...

But like all things music related... I'll bet there is some "mythology" that says new strings are better, or that old/aged/broken-in strings are better!
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #3
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
I'm not a guitar player but I wouldn't expect the characteristics of the metal to change during storage...
I would hope so. I would like it if maybe it needed a quick wipe and maybe a truss rod adjustment. Even intonating it isn't so bad. But changing strings just cause it's been sitting there would be costly and meh
Old 12-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #4
Gibson_GM

35 yr guitarist here. You can extend the string life a bit by wiping them off well with a clean, dry rag after every time you play, and keeping the guitar in its case. But - the finger grease left behind (and it WILL be left behind, LOL) will inevitably corrode the strings and work at 'wearing them out'. Just a part of using a guitar, like oil changes are to a car.

Along with mechanical vibration from playing, they become dull and lifeless, and stop fretting true, and you might even get used to them that way and not notice. Until they manifest as a 'lifeless tone' in your recordings, and a crappy 'sorta outta tune' feeling. If you adjust intonation with dead strings...then your intonation is out. Leave the truss alone unless there's something WRONG with your action, in conjunction with the bridge Yearly on that.

How often you need to change them is certainly debatable. I do mine (probably oh 6 guitars) in 'rotation'. I'll do 2 or 3 at a time, maybe every 3 mos., depending on how heavy they're played. After a point I do notice they're just too dull for what I'm doing, and they have to go. I buy strings 6-12 packs at a time and keep them handy. It's more of a feel thing, you know they when they start needing it.

The more distorted the music I'm doing (rhythm not lead), the longer I can go between changes, but no matter what at some point, they become rubber bands, not strings It's not a myth....YMMV.
Gibson_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #5
karbomusic

When I was younger, I ingested a lot more salt. Therefore any guitar I played for more than an hour, the strings corroded. I had to change strings every single gig however...

Now that's not a problem, I have 20 guitars, my string changing now is more like months if not years depending on the guitar - one reason is I can't possibly put enough playing on all of them to wear them out and my hands no longer corrode strings anyway - I don't even have to wipe them off like I used to.

My weekly gig guitars... I change strings 'maybe' once a month because they get more use but my point is... until the strings are giving you problems, no need to change them. And I tend to prefer played in strings vs brand new anyway - all those chimey high highs get into sonic territory that isn't any of the guitar's business anyway (like cymbals and hats) YMMV.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
Boogieshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae.Thomas View Post
I would hope so. I would like it if maybe it needed a quick wipe and maybe a truss rod adjustment. Even intonating it isn't so bad. But changing strings just cause it's been sitting there would be costly and meh
Have you ever listened to Bob Dylan’ with Wilburies singing’ ‘Cool Dry Place’. https://www.lyricsfreak.com/t/travel..._20168586.html I think that says it all.

Cold checking and other problems is best prevented by reasonable thermal and humidity control, but if you have owned guitars, even one that you care about that should really be second nature knowledge.
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #7
Jae.Thomas

keeping them in cases would actually take up far too much room - they will be continually exposed. If I had to go through and wipe them down weekly, and after each time I play, that's fine.

Would that work?
Old 12-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
keeping them in cases would actually take up far too much room - they will be continually exposed. If I had to go through and wipe them down weekly, and after each time I play, that's fine.

Would that work?
I don't put mine in cases and the strings are just fine. It is really more about the oils/stuff in your hands and how destructive they are to the metal in the strings.

You can just wipe them down when done playing and you'll be fine assuming the oils et al in your hands aren't eating away at them and/or you don't live in a salty environment like the beach.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:36 AM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
They do seem to work just fine, sometimes a little dusty. And I do use all of these fairly often, including another bass I have and an acoustic not pictured. To me, they all play differently and have unique sounds. The strat is one I don't use much, as I prefer the strat emulation on the variax, and I have an epiphone I don't use a whole lot because I'm trying to compare it to my older univox paul copy.

Other than that, these are all fairly used.

The guitars I play often, I change the strings. The ones I don't, I really haven't. Usually I just tune them up and they work just fine.

What do you think?
All but my two most expensive guitars (a 2012 Fender American Standard Strat and 1933 Gibson L-00) stay on a rack in the closet with my isolated vintage Gretsch speaker cab and Sennheiser MD421. I change strings when I break one or when I can visibly see corrosion. Other than that, I tune them up and just use them.

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #10
Magicbuss

Here's the best answer IMO. Every guitarist should own a copy. Mine is dog eared.

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Ele.../dp/0879309989

The longer answer is at the very least you will need to restring them as often as necessary and know how to adjust the truss rod and set intonation.
A tube of teflon super lube is great for keeping guitars in tune (use on the nut slot, bridge and string guides)
Also Keep a can of contact cleaner around for scratchy pots as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-51.../dp/B08KW3PD5V
https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Plastic-C.../dp/B07YYNDLBW

Last edited by Magicbuss; 12-03-2021 at 07:23 AM.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:53 AM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
Here's the best answer IMO. Every guitarist should own a copy. Mine is dog eared.

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Ele.../dp/0879309989
Quote:
How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!
I know the answer to that one.

Hand your electric guitar to a great player!

Actually, I set the bridges and tweak the action on all my guitars so that the intonation is good all the way up the neck, and so they play easy, but that's pretty much a one time thing unless I decide to try a different gauge of strings.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:53 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
The longer answer is at the very least you will need to restring them as often as necessary
The important bit there, "often as necessary" is different for every person and the environment they live in. There truly is no one answer for his question of how often to change strings.
Old 12-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Actually, I set the bridges and tweak the action on all my guitars so that the intonation is good all the way up the neck, and so they play easy, but that's pretty much a one time thing unless I decide to try a different gauge of strings.
I filed down and re-crowned the frets on two of my nice strats a couple months back. Tedious, easy to fk up but they came out great and are better than when they came from the factory.

Old 12-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I filed down and re-crowned the frets on two of my nice strats a couple months back. Tedious, easy to fk up but they came out great and are better than when they came from the factory.
That's a bigger job than I'd take on. I'm comfortable setting the mechanics of the bridge and truss rods, but I would hand off a fret job to my local luthier.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:05 PM   #15
Jae.Thomas

yeah, I mean - what is necessary - will the open air just cause problems? I keep the humidity around 50 percent best I can... and I think the only thing that's gonna be affecting the guitars would be dust. Sure there might be adjustments, but I am mostly concerned about the strings...
Old 12-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #16
Dave 2099

I feel like I can contribute 2 or 3 cents to this conversation.

One, what is the environment like for your guitars? If they stay inside, and the climate is relatively not-humid in your home, I wouldn't worry too much about where they are stored. Residue from your fingers is probably the main thing, and others have suggested solutions.

But the more important thing is developing your ear for how your guitars sound. Not saying I have a good ear, but I definitely find myself realizing that strings start to sound dull and need to be replaced. Being attuned to the sound you want is probably the biggest thing.
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:37 PM   #17
Jae.Thomas

in the summer it can be humid, but I have a dehumidifier in the studio room always keeping it at 50 percent. Which I was told was ok.

In the winter, it gets SUPER dry, so I do the opposite, humidify when I have to.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #18
karbomusic

Quote:
in the summer it can be humid, but I have a dehumidifier in the studio room always keeping it at 50 percent. Which I was told was ok.

In the winter, it gets SUPER dry, so I do the opposite, humidify when I have to.
50% is generally fine but be aware that's more about solid wood acoustics as far as danger goes. The real ideal humidity is what the humidity was when the guitar was cut and assembled.

That's why they are manufactured in an average middle like that. IOW, if a guitar was manufactured in 10% humidity, it's fine if it always lives in 10% conditions but the other 90% is going to be hard to avoid. At 50% the wood is going to be too big/swollen. Conversely, if manufactured in a 90% humidity environment, then stored @ 10%, the guitar is going to rip itself apart from the wood shrinking.

For laminated acoustics and electrics, this is something you almost don't even need to think about other than extremes, like you live in a wet basement or a desert - the exception is a long cold winter with the heat on all the time. You could see some fret sprout in guitars that don't have a binding in dry months if they get extremely dry but overall, the vast majority of humidity concerns are for solid wood acoustics.

I mean, I'd still keep it around 50% but for electrics etc. you have boatload of wiggle room you don't have with solid body acoustics.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-02-2021 at 03:53 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #19
Wallaby

Default temperature

Temperatur and humidity as much the same as possible thru out the years.
Let the strings on and the instruments covered with a light towell to keep dust away is not bad.
And very important for all equipment with electronics : no smoke !
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #20
Boogieshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post

Spent a day on course in guitar setup run by Hugh Manson, who walked us through levelling worn frets with a block straight edge and a selection of diamond fret dressing tools as well as how to replace a nut and then adjust things accommodating the fingerboard radius. It was a really good days session and most tools readily available via StewMac. Having done that I would not say I am confident enough to be doing more than truss rod tweak when needed, intonation and bridge adjustments.

I had to persuade Hugh to modify an old Horner ST Lead Graphite when the crappy bridge collapsed for the second time. It looks original but I persuaded him to replace the pivot pins with some modified floyde rose bridge pins drilled into the body through the horrible steinberg licence plate. Why? I like the guitar and it’s modulus graphite neck. Rare as rocking horse Pooh now because most got junked when the bridge collapsed.

Cleaning and keeping dust and crud from a guitar left uncased is pretty crucial if you don’t want it to deteriorate, but then there are many that like ‘roadworn’ or a heavily aged look. Personally, I like to keep the chrome from marking and protect the finishes. Lemon oil for rosewood fingerboards to keep them from drying out depending on how often strings need changing but always look for crap but the fret sides and clear it off.

Frets can go skanky and green if you leave finger sweat or ‘salt residues’ on the finger board and on maple necks it can obviously stain the wood if it appears and is left.

Humidity, well that kind of depends on where you are in the world and the normal humidity in that place, it is the changes in humidity and temp that can change things. Hugh had tales of his days setting up guitars for some the larger scale manufacturers importing to the UK. That was before he started his more mass produced guitars and basses rather than his hand made custom kit.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #21
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieshoes View Post
Humidity, well that kind of depends on where you are in the world and the normal humidity in that place, it is the changes in humidity and temp that can change things.
Right, and as far as I know, they tend to be measured, cut and constructed sort of in the middle of the range because outside that range can't be more than 50% off.

The guitar/wood doesn't really care what humidity it is when it is first being measured and cut, only that whatever that is, is the new happy place for the guitar. Because... humidity far enough away from the build humidity, changes the size of the parts - that's the problem, the parts literally don't fit any more (they either swell or shrink) and something has to give.

As far as the guitar neck et al, I'm not comfortable making/fixing nuts yet. The fret dressing just takes the right tools, triple checking everything, and being very slow and patient during the process. There are plenty of good YT vids on it, including a few from StewMac. I was surprised it worked, but I will say they play like a dream now. Especially smoothness of intonation.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-02-2021 at 09:17 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:31 PM   #22
Bazzbass

pffffft guitarists have it EASY

try changing strings on nine basses, at a minimum of $70 a set usually

but seriously, do you live in changing humidity during the year? this would present the biggest problem if so. Luckily I don't so I can leave the basses in a rack stand all year.

BTW I bought a 5-bass stand, thinking it was future proofed lol rotfl
Old 12-03-2021, 12:36 AM   #23
ivansc

Keep them where they are, wipe them down after playing, but sort out a cloth covering that will cover all of them in one go.

I have a Jack Daniels flag that neatly fits over my Roland e-drums & used to have a multi-guitar stand that got covered with an Ikea comforter back when I used a lot of different guitars.
Nowadays they are all in their cases or gig bags, as I am down to using one of my basses and two of my guitars.

Even a simple layer of cloth keeps the dust out.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:10 AM   #24
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieshoes View Post
I had to persuade Hugh to modify an old Horner ST Lead Graphite when the crappy bridge collapsed for the second time. It looks original but I persuaded him to replace the pivot pins with some modified floyde rose bridge pins drilled into the body through the horrible steinberg licence plate. Why? I like the guitar and it’s modulus graphite neck. Rare as rocking horse Pooh now because most got junked when the bridge collapsed.
The dreaded Steinberger KB bridge! It's basically a condensed version of an R-Trem I have in my headless. There's a guy in Germany selling reinforced replacements for those bridge pins (both KB and R-type), I got those installed despite bridge being new coz yeah, R-Trems have the same weakness.

Really cool rare item that graphite Hohner tho.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:45 AM   #25
Boogieshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzbass View Post
pffffft guitarists have it EASY

try changing strings on nine basses, at a minimum of $70 a set usually

BTW I bought a 5-bass stand, thinking it was future proofed lol rotfl
Hmmm, I can see that but the I haven’t managed to feel the indents you can get on guitar strings worn on frets on the 5 string Jazz I have in a lot of playing ( G string being a slight exception) , that I can get on guitar strings very quickly. Bernard Edwards was said not to have changed his strings at all on his music man …. I can’t see that personally. I haven’t read anything on Gerry Barnes (who is alongside Nile Rogers these days) string habits.

The GAS problem lessens, at least I think so, so take heart
Old 12-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #26
SmoothOperator

I have two horns trumpet and cornet. I like having more than one horn, because I don't have to clean them as often.

I think for guitars having more would actually work against you in since they tend to warp and detune just sitting there. Not to mention humidity problems.

That reminds me, I should tune my pianos, for the Holidays.
SmoothOperator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #27
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
I think for guitars having more would actually work against you in since they tend to warp and detune just sitting there. Not to mention humidity problems.
Just for accuracy for all, ^kinda not really.

Now strings may go out of tune because strings are sort of like thermostats aka tension changes with temperature, but... we tune our guitars before we play them anyway. Then again, the strats I gig with, I can pull it out at the next gig a week later and possibly not even need to tune it, if the temperature is roughly the same as where it was last time I played it. Though they are set up very well too, see video above.

Humidity, yes, for solid wood guitars (not so much for laminate and even less for electric unless it is extreme). The way to fix that is regulate humidity or just keep solid wood guitars in the case.

I have 20 guitars, or is it 25? I lost count! but I've had hardly any issues at all over the last 30+ years. Just because I observe the above.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #28
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I change strings when I break one or when I can visibly see corrosion. Other than that, I tune them up and just use them.
I’m not too far off from this.

I’d say first that if you play a set of strings enough, you definitely can end up hearing a difference sometimes before one breaks or anything is visible. The difference between brand knew and played even a few hours is not subtle. But then there can be a sort of long plateau where they maintain a perfectly useable tone, but eventually they will go dead and muddy. I can often both hear and feel that in the string before I really see anything.

On the other side, sometimes with strings that haven’t been played in a while, I can feel the corrosion on my fingers before I can really see it, too. Sometimes just playing them for a bit can almost fix that.

But I guess that’s the thing. If you’re playing them regularly, you’ll know when you need to change the strings, and if you’re not playing them regularly, it doesn’t much matter until you decide you need that one guitar for this one thing. Then maybe you check it out real quick before you hit record.

BUT I guess I don’t really have random people just grabbing whichever guitar looks neat at the time. In those cases it probably does behoove you to at least inspect the guitars before a session. Get the intern to do it.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #29
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I’m not too far off from this.

I’d say first that if you play a set of strings enough, you definitely can end up hearing a difference sometimes before one breaks or anything is visible. The difference between brand knew and played even a few hours is not subtle. But then there can be a sort of long plateau where they maintain a perfectly useable tone, but eventually they will go dead and muddy. I can often both hear and feel that in the string before I really see anything.

On the other side, sometimes with strings that haven’t been played in a while, I can feel the corrosion on my fingers before I can really see it, too. Sometimes just playing them for a bit can almost fix that.

But I guess that’s the thing. If you’re playing them regularly, you’ll know when you need to change the strings, and if you’re not playing them regularly, it doesn’t much matter until you decide you need that one guitar for this one thing. Then maybe you check it out real quick before you hit record.

BUT I guess I don’t really have random people just grabbing whichever guitar looks neat at the time. In those cases it probably does behoove you to at least inspect the guitars before a session. Get the intern to do it.
I also change them if I can feel corosion when it's not yet visible.

In once sense, I treat the strings on all my guitars and basses like I treat my Avedis Zildjian cymbals, just using them and allowing them to age. My cymbals have a green patina that makes them less bright and more Earthy.

If I need a really bright guitar sound I get my Fender Strat out of its case and use the tone pot bypass setting on the bridge pickup. I bought that guitar as an investment alternative to cash in a jar, so it stays in pristine shape in the case most of the time.

The guitars I have were all selected to add a voice no other guitar has. The closest two are my Gibson L6S Midnight Special, and Epiphone SG Pro, but the SG Pro has stacked pots and split pickups that I use in single coil mode for a P50 sound. The other ones are semi-hollow, 12-string and other stuff that have unique voices.