Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-11-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
pc999
Human being with feelings

Default Novation Launchpad- anyone tried it on Reaper?

Hi, I am considering getting a controller and I saw Novation?s Launchpad

http://www.novationmusic.com/product...ller/launchpad

Quote:
Launchpad ships with a dedicated ?Launchpad edition? of Ableton Live 8, but can control almost any other music software using Novation's award-winning 'Automap' control software.
I like of Ableton, but I dont use only it so I as thinking of how good is this (plus something like Korg nanoKeys) with others DAWs and/or VSTs. It is the same price of Many midi Keyboard controllers, but it does more than it, it does have Automap.

So is it good to control a "normal" DAW?

Thanks in advance.
________
Glass water pipes

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 04:44 PM.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
bluzkat

I do use a Novation Nocturn I like alot but I haven't tried Launchpad. That looks pretty cool... but does it only work in 'Live'??

Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
zappa

It's automap compatible and so should be quite easy to get going with Reaper. All other automap devices (nocturn, SL controller keyboards eg.) seem to be easy, especially with this dll. It's ableton integration functions will probably be missing, so it will just act as a control surface.

I wouldn't guarantee anything of course, so it would be best to buy from somewhere that offers an x-day money back.

z.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
TFF

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I was curious about this too. Has anyone actually given it a go? I've read some bad things about Automap in the past. What are your guys' experiences?
TFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
ugh

I also would be interested in anyone's experience with a launchpad in Reaper.
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:44 AM   #6
Chrislomu

I have a Launchpad and it is fairly redundant with Reaper (amazing for performing with Live though). Get a Nocturn instead. The fact it has no knobs or sliders mean that all the automapped functions are random and mostly pointless. I suppose it would be 'ok' if you can be arsed to go through and manaually create plug-in mappings; but the Nocturn does it more effectively and immediately and costs £80 less. Go figure.

My ten cents....
Chrislomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #7
ugh

I would need a Launchpad only to record drums and to have a midi drum sequence run through it and make the pads blink. Like a stepseqeuncer in a way.

and maybe transport control.

is it possible to do that with it in other DAWs than Ableton ?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 AM   #8
Chrislomu

It can be used that way once you create your own user templates, but the lack of rotary controls and faders would put me off. This would allure me more: http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardwa...i-mpd26--71034

In terms of the blinking lights im not too sure. The only instance of this I have seen is in Ableton with the stepsequencer in Max4Live. A neat trick, but not really something that would really enhance my workflow....

Obviously if you have Ableton Live too, it's a wholly different consideration. In all honesty I wish i'd waited until Akai brought out the APC20.
http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardwa...i-apc20--71044
Chrislomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
ugh

thank you for your answers.
you could still sell the launchpad and get an APC20, btw.

If I would use Ableton I would get an APC 40 or 20 for sure.
I tried the program but I just fail to like it.

The Launchpad interests me because it has no sliders !
I just want pads that blink
I have sliders and knobs already on my Keyboard.

we'll see. I guess i will just contact Novation to enquire some more into this.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
BeatPsychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugh View Post
I would need a Launchpad only to record drums and to have a midi drum sequence run through it and make the pads blink. Like a stepseqeuncer in a way.

and maybe transport control.

is it possible to do that with it in other DAWs than Ableton ?
Sure you can, but one thing to think about is the Launchpad doesn't have velocity sensitive pads...so programming drums would be very time consuming...or sound very static, if you didn't manually adjust the velocities... Check out the PadKontrol ... amazing for programming drums among other things...
Old 05-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatPsychic View Post
Sure you can, but one thing to think about is the Launchpad doesn't have velocity sensitive pads...so programming drums would be very time consuming...or sound very static, if you didn't manually adjust the velocities... Check out the PadKontrol ... amazing for programming drums among other things...
oh that is ok !
I would want to use it live and the beats that I would program would not need velocity sensitivity at all. It's even a plus if I can fuck up fewer things .g.
I do realise I would perhaps only use 10% of launchpads features, but it's a quite specific task and it surely looks good on a gig. (flashing lights...also useful in the dark...more like a show element with a certain functionality...)

Last edited by ugh; 05-17-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:43 AM   #12
Overcast

I use launchpad a lot with reaper, but have yet to figure out how to get the leds flashing. I've managed to get them working with Traktor scratch & there amazing in the Ableton Drum Pad but would love to get flashing LEDS working for Reaper !!!
Overcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #13
TimeActor

Hi @all,
i see this is a bit older Thread.
In the past i use Ableton live and i´ve a Novation Launchpad too - are there solutions to get the LED´s flashing (like the question in the post before)
Old 01-26-2012, 04:37 AM   #14
infiltr8

If you want flashing LEDs just make a new Track. Name this Track "Launchpad" or something u remember. Go to the I/O Settings of the Track and Add as a Hardware Output "Launchpad" with Output to the Original Channels (U have to activate midi output for the Launchpad in the Preferences).

After that u can create a new Track with a VST or whatever and Set the Input to Launchpad/All Channels. If u press a pad on the Launchpad u can hear a sound.

Now that u want the LEDs Flashing u have to got back to the I/O Settings of the 1st Track named "Launchpad" and set a Receive of Track 2 (MIDI: ALL)

You have flashing LEDs now when playing on Track 2 recorded Midi Notes or Triggering a Midi Note of Track 2.

U can add as many Receives as u want..

Greets
Thomas
infiltr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #15
efabric

Flag !
efabric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
Arnar

Nice ! Thanks
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #17
Arnar

Check this out ...works fine.
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/articl...as-monome.html
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #18
gridlove

I have both launchpad and nocturn keyboard, the launchpad is basically a massive grid of key commands and shortcuts assigned to actions via midi cc.
I have scribbled on each pad as to what they do
Each pad is also set up as toggle or momentary so they light up depending on what I`m doing.

Not how it was intended to be used and also not why I purchased it originally but it`s way more useful to me as it is
I have it right next to my mouse for speed.
gridlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:09 AM   #19
themixtape

This person has only made one post, 7 years ago, but this post was insanely valuable and helpful. Thanks! It works great with my Behringer TC64 (light feedback).

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiltr8 View Post
If you want flashing LEDs just make a new Track. Name this Track "Launchpad" or something u remember. Go to the I/O Settings of the Track and Add as a Hardware Output "Launchpad" with Output to the Original Channels (U have to activate midi output for the Launchpad in the Preferences).

After that u can create a new Track with a VST or whatever and Set the Input to Launchpad/All Channels. If u press a pad on the Launchpad u can hear a sound.

Now that u want the LEDs Flashing u have to got back to the I/O Settings of the 1st Track named "Launchpad" and set a Receive of Track 2 (MIDI: ALL)

You have flashing LEDs now when playing on Track 2 recorded Midi Notes or Triggering a Midi Note of Track 2.

U can add as many Receives as u want..

Greets
Thomas
Old 10-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #20
themixtape

Something all your Launchpad owners need is the DrivenByMoss extension for Reaper...

http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html

I tested my Launchpad Pro with it and it is perfect... lots of functionality... scales, drum mode, the whole nine. It is dope as hell.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:24 PM   #21
Robbie Hogg

@themixtape
I just stumbled across this thread as i was searching for some info. Am thinking of getting a Launchpad.
I have the Playtime plugin and just asked the question over on the forum page about the RGB led feedback.
Do you happen to know if the script you posted the link to gives access to the RGB led's as visual feedback?
Currently from my understanding Playtime will only give visual feed back to tell you what slot is filled, playing, recording, etc etc but not in the colour of the tracks that fill the slots. Would be awesome to have each slot match the track colour.
Robbie Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #22
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Hogg View Post
@themixtape
I just stumbled across this thread as i was searching for some info. Am thinking of getting a Launchpad.
I have the Playtime plugin and just asked the question over on the forum page about the RGB led feedback.
Do you happen to know if the script you posted the link to gives access to the RGB led's as visual feedback?
Currently from my understanding Playtime will only give visual feed back to tell you what slot is filled, playing, recording, etc etc but not in the colour of the tracks that fill the slots. Would be awesome to have each slot match the track colour.
If you uxe it for switches, CSI (see link below) has support for Launchpad mini mk3, with separate RGB on and RGB off colours -- might work with the big one...
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #23
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Hogg View Post
@themixtape
Don't know much about Geoff's CSI project... still can't get it to work on my Windows 7 system, Reaper 5.983. Windows size too small, and don't let me click "ok" or "cancel."

The link I provided is more for DAW-control functionality, as opposed to Playtime. It sucks that Helgoboss doesn't support this, anymore. I am not sure if the colors ever worked with my former Launchpad MK2... I can't remember. I do know the Maschine Jam doesn't work with Playtime, with the colors matching Playtime's slots.

DrivenByMoss is more for transport control, scale modes, drum grid modes, track select, etc. It's nice, once you figure out exactly how to use it. Very useful.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #24
Robbie Hogg

No worries,
Thanks for the info guys.
Robbie Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #25
smasha

Novation Impulse is horrible,vstis don’t work with automap,the transport controls aren’t fully functional with Reaper,a real frustration to use.

Tried assigning cc numbers to the Impulse faders to use as drawbars with Air plugin’s DB33 organ but nothing worked,driving me to death ,the Novation Impulse,hate the thing.
smasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #26
stentor

Default Trouble Getting Nocturn Set Up

Hello-

I am struggling with this.

I've had it working fine on a Mac with Pro Tools and Logic but no luck with a PC and Reaper.

I've checked all the video tutorials and read the manual but no luck.

most recent version and driver but I can't open the plugin manager.

I'm using HUI and it recognizes 8 plugins and controls them but i can't get it to see or wrap any others.

Help!!
stentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:47 PM   #27
stentor

I'm getting a Waveshell VST3 x64 error, executed invalid operation during scanning.

I could see all the plugins zip by with automap listed in them.

When I go to find the waveshell in the common folder there is an ! in front of it.

I'm lost.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #28
stentor

Now BFD3 is missing.

I'm in hell.